Post Thanks / Like
    Should AN older (1-3 years old) bottle of Menzerna Super Finish have a problem breaking down?

I recently made the mistake of letting a car wash clean my car after a bug filled trip. They ended up using some crappy spray wax on the front end that left yellowish spots and runs on the hood of my car. I thought a quick polish and seal would knock the problem out.

I washed the hood and broke out the Menzerna Super Finish to take the wax off. After applying the product and working it in with a PC 7424, I found that it wasn`t breaking down and was difficult to remove.

I thought maybe the spray wax was gumming up the mess and tried washing with Dawn to remove it. That did not work.

I broke out the Menzerna SIP and used that to make quick work of the spray wax. It worked but when I stepped back down to the Super Finish, I still found that no amount of polishing would get it to break down. I had used both products before and do not remember this problem. SIP was breaking down just like it should.

Any thoughts? Time to pick up a new bottle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you`ve not shaken the polish well enough before use or maybe the pad is too soft? Menzerna polishes are designed for harder pads to make breakdown of the polishes easier (Menzerna recommends their own polishing pad for SF4000, which is comparable to an orange Lake Country when it comes to stiffness). In addition with your PC 7424 you definitely should use speed setting 5 or better 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cathul
    Maybe you`ve not shaken the polish well enough before use or maybe the pad is too soft? Menzerna polishes are designed for harder pads to make breakdown of the polishes easier (Menzerna recommends their own polishing pad for SF4000, which is comparable to an orange Lake Country when it comes to stiffness). In addition with your PC 7424 you definitely should use speed setting 5 or better 6.

Where has Menzerna said they recommend more dense/harder pads?

Like Cathul said, did you shake the bottle? Did you use too much product?

This was a post bu TOGWT:

Diminishing Abrasives Technology

A non-linear abrasive that require friction - while the majority of polishes on the market use a form of diminishing (non- linear) abrasive, which you polish until it turns translucent; when a polish "flashes" from a liquid paste to a light semi-dry haze, much like a coating of Vaseline® the diminishing polish has then broken down and is ready for removal.

Diminishing abrasives, as the name suggests; the abrasives become smaller with friction, and therefore go from removing paint defects to polishing the paint, which produces the shine. If you don`t break them down sufficiently, you are just grinding those abrasive particles into your paint, without polishing it, which can leave behind marring and other paint surface imperfections.

It is important to know when a polish has broken down because if you take it too far you will re-introduce surface marring. During the polishing process, trace amounts of paint and / or oxidation is removed; this can cause the debris and the polish to “clump” together. This can cause a haze to the paint surface, a wipe-down or a paint cleaning product will eliminate this.

Pros - Menzerna diminishing abrasive polishes are formulated with a long lasting lubricant. The abrasives break down before the lubricating oils dry out, thereby giving polish a longer working time and producing less abrasive dust and avoiding dry buffing.

Cons - Menzerna lubrication oils can be really resistant to removal; it may take 2-3 IPA wipe-downs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffdogg06
    Where has Menzerna said they recommend more dense/harder pads?

On their own german website. I`ve tested their own polishing pads. They are stiff as hell. Probably stiffer than anyone want to use for a finishing polish, but oh boy, they are just as hard as orange lake country pads, maybe even a little bit harder.

See here. It`s german, but you can still see what they recommend for cutting, polishing, finishing and LSP. The yellow pad is probably the hardest "finishing" pad you`ve ever seen (at least when bought in germany).

After all only a testspot will show what will work and what doesn`t, right?

Thread Information