EricDawg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy,

It`s been a couple of years since I`ve done the whole clay bar, tape off, and yellow/orange pad with 3M rubbing compound and/or Menzerna Intensive Polish. Followed with Final Polish and 5 coats of Zaino.

I have a black Dodge Dakota and although I`m pretty careful washing it... some scratches happen. I`ve done the full meal deal with the PC probably 3 times since I`ve owned it (6 years).

I`m about to do it again. I usually have to go straight to the yellow pad with the 3M rubbing compound to get the swirls out.

I`m wondering... how often can I do this before I have to worry about removing all the clear coat?

Also - after I remove the haze with Final Polish I usually go to the Zaino then. The multiple coats on a med. size truck gets old. Sounds like Optimum Opti Clear is the product of choice now? I love the Zaino look and it is very durable... my aging joints don`t appreciate the 5 coats being buffed off though.

Thanks gents.

Post Thanks / Like
    This gets asked quite often, and unfortunately nobody can ever really give a good answer; there are just too many variables (how much clear was on there originally; how much is still on there; how much will you be taking off; etc. etc.).

You can correct it (i.e., remove clear) right up until you can`t.

If you thin it too much you`ll make it vulnerable to UV damage (*LONG* before you can see that it`s too thin, let alone before you strike though). If you park in the sun a lot this`ll be more of an issue than if you keep it inside (there`s another variable).

The smart thing to do is to spend a bundle on an ETG and do a lot of measuring and thinking (gotta figure out that "how thick was it originally" part :think: ).

BUT...OK, my wild-@$$ guess is that you`re fine and can do a lot more "moderate corrections" without any problems at all. Most 3M RCs (which one did you use? there are a few different ones) are pretty mild and the PC doesn`t usually take off much clear.

But if I`m wrong and you take off too much, then it`s repaint-time :sosad

I`d consider OptiCoating it if you`re getting tired of layering the Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which 3M compound are you currently using?

Over many years I have noticed the older type polishes/comp are pretty aggressive with cc correction but some of the newer compounds are milder in their corrective abilities i.e. less cc removal.

I too have moved forward from wax/sealants to coatings due to less touches over time on the paint surface.

EricDawg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. It`s just called 3M Rubbing Compound. 3M-39002. 1200 grit or finer. I`ve used Menzerna Intensize Polish too but the 3M works the best. I do usually try white then orange pads first... but yellow is the only one that does any good.

That`s about what I thought. I was shocked to see how much the paint thickness gadgets cost. I remember when I first got into this about 7 years ago deciding that it wasn`t a big concern... removing too much clear coat with a PC that is. But... common sense tells me after 10 years.... I`ve decided to live with swirls for awhile and clear them up every couple of years. Also not do the whole truck like I used too... just the bad spots.

I used to have nice white cotton towels that were Made In America. The Zaino recommendation for washing. Made In America towels disappeared for a long time. I see WalMart has some now. In the meantime I`ve been using microfiber wash mitts. One white... others blue with the long strands.

What do you guys use? Something gave me some swirls. I can`t tell if it`s the wash mitts or the big blue microfiber druing towles that are probably a little on the old side.

The truck is not a daily driver. Road trips, boat hauling and tailgating. It`s a 2005 and has 26,000 miles on it. Always in the garage when not in use.

Thanks again.

EricDawg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm this looks pretty good:

Swissvax Waschpudel Luxury Wash Pad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

I`d consider OptiCoating it if you`re getting tired of layering the Zaino.

Especially since it really doesn`t layer and durability and protection are two very different things...

With a black truck, I`d really look into the modern non-diminishing abrasive polishes. They work very well and pretty quickly. Something like Meguiars M100 and its very competitively priced. With a microfiber cutting pad, it cuts fast and leaves a pretty good finish. Final Polish (if its the one I remember from Autopia`s early days) is a really nice product, something similar if you are looking at trying something new is HD Polish. Even on super soft clears, it finishes very well. Plus its water based, making prepping the paint for Opti-Coat pretty easy.

If you`ve only polished the truck moderately 3 times, you should still be fine with regards to clear coat thickness.

As far as Opti-Coat goes, I personally won`t have a car without it. Makes regular care a piece of cake. Wash, done.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    You want soft towels?

16 x 16 Edgeless Super Plush Blue Towel

Best prices I`ve seen on these particular towels.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    These prices for a 3 pack are also pretty good and if your order is over $25 and under 5 lbs shipping is free-- Edgeless Fluffy Microfiber Towel 16" x 16", 3-pk. - Microfiber Products

The CarPro Merino Wool wash mitt is very soft and the mesh hand pocket allows you to just glide the mitt over the surface with little pressure. It`s also reasonably priced for a high end merino wool mitt CarPro Wool Wash Mitt - CarPro I`ve been using it for year now and am very pleased.

Thread Information