Post Thanks / Like
    Im looking for a D/A orbital moslty for wax applications and swirl mark removal but will be used for some light cutting and polishing . Wich one would you choose and why?

Post Thanks / Like
    shineon- Welcome to Autopia!

Telling you to "go search!" would be an awful response to your first post here, huh?!? I only hint at that because we`ve discussed this one a *LOT*, in great detail.

To avoid sounding like a [jerk], here`s the quickie version of my opinion:

Cyclo:

-Best built, most user-friendly. Doesn`t always work with certain body contours (can`t do some areas of my Jag with it, period) and doesn`t offer efficient correction when you need to get really aggressive. My overall fave to use, just not always the right tool for the job.

Flex 34011:

-Most aggressive correction by a good margin. Unique "recoil" that some people don`t mind (I don`t mind it at all) and other people simply *hate*. Leaves a slightly inferior final finish, but I sincerely doubt that anybody normal would ever see the diff (and I mean *really won`t see it*...it`s almost just theoretical in most cases). Overkill for wax application and maybe for mild polishing.

PC:

-Old tech finish sander adapted to detailing use. Marginally acceptable at best, though the newer XP models are better. In a word, "yuck".

Look into the Griot`s Garage 6" Random Orbital. IMO it`s the best machine to have if you`re only buying one. I probably use mine more than all my other polishers put together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the informative post , i did search a bit to be honest but didnt find to many direct comparisons. I have used the xp and was not impressed with it mostly it was just a quick way to apply wax. I do like the look and everything ive heard of the cyclo though i could see it being tough to use in contour areas. I will certainly check griots garage 6" . Thanks for not being to hard on the newbie!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add some confusion - err, information - the Meguiar`s G110v2 is also an alternative worth considering, as against the PCXP or the GG6. I recently bought a DA polisher myself, and was choosing between the G110v2, GG6 and the PCXP (the Flex 3401 was way out of my price range). Here are my thoughts about them, based on everything I`d read (and since validated when I had a chance to use all three DAs, along with the Flex):

• The G110v2 is the most expensive of the three, and it`s reported to also have the best build quality. It does not have as much power of the GG6, but the cruise control feature helps it keep the pads spinning. There were a number of reports of issues with power cord failure, but the latest release has supposedly solved this problem, and I`ve not read any other issues with this polisher.
    • The GG6 has the most power, and is not much more expensive than the PCXP; it has a lifetime warranty. There have been numerous reports of this polisher breaking down, though people have had no issues getting these defective polishers replaced. Quality control also seems a bit erratic; people who`ve had more than one GG6 have reported variances in noise, vibration, and power.
    • The PCXP is the least expensive of the three, but is also generally considered as the least powerful. Its cachet has always been reliability - Porter Cable is a known power tool manufacturer. In the past several months though, there have been reports on the various detailing forums of problems with the polisher, mostly relating to the shaft - either their quality has gone down, or they have a bad batch out there.

In the end, I went with the G110v2 - primarily because of reliability. With the cord issue now fixed, the G110v2 appears to be the least problematic among the three, and that`s a big deal when I`m living halfway around the world (and therefore cannot easily avail of warranty repairs); while extra power is always nice, as a hobbyist, I can afford to spend an additional half hour or so polishing.

However, my decision could easily have been different, under different circumstances. If I was living in the US, and was a hobbyist, I most likely would have gone for the GG6, as you can easily turn the polisher in for replacement under its lifetime warranty. If I was buying for a detailing business, and had the money for it, I`d go for two of the GG6s (so I have one spare in case my main one breaks down); if I can`t afford that, I`d then go for the G110v2.

Post Thanks / Like
    umi000- I never remember about the (supposed?) quality/durability issues with the Griot`s. I`ve dropped mine pretty badly, and it sure didn`t like that...but it hasn`t died on me yet (whichis more than I can say about my PC). Heh heh, I do like that idea about having a pair of them; I have a pair of both the PC and Cyclo for just that reason, and I toy with the idea of getting a spare GG and Flex too! No end to the ways one can spend money on this stuff

shineon- I seldom seem to find just the right info I want when I search, so I sure do sympathize. Too bad though in this case, there are some threads where we really, uhm...discussed this comparison to death!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all i did go with a gg6 after all the reviews i saw here and talking with the gg rep. He did acknowledge some of the problems stated above on some of the machines but with a lifetime warranty i couldn`t pass it up. I will probably pick up a spare if i like this one. Thanks to everyone for taking time to inform me and all your recommendations.

Accumulator: I have struggled searching on this site for almost all the info i have been seeking, I did ended up finding the threads you speak of after about ten search attempts..... I dont know if it is me or the site . Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. (p.s. I read the how to search this site in the newbies section as well)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shineon
    Hey all i did go with a gg6 after all the reviews i saw here and talking with the gg rep...

I bet you`ll be very satisfied with it.

Accumulator: I have struggled searching on this site for almost all the info i have been seekings..... I dont know if it is me or the site . Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. ..

Heh heh, no search tips from me, I don`t seem to do well with it either! So *I* wouldn`t say "it`s you" :grinno: That was a big part of why I didn`t mind revisiting the polisher-choice issue again in this thread. When people need info, "go search" isn`t really helpful and oh man does it sound snarky IMO.

Thread Information