Post Thanks / Like
    As I sat today eyeing the black BMW 328is (a car I have polished many times), I decided that over the years I had fallen victim to the hype about "burning paint" if you are not careful. Therefore, I have become a great polisher, but not "corrector" of paint. Thus, I took out my Griots, Cyclo, and Makita today with a few pads and pulled out some product that I have not used in a while- months.

This car has a lot of marring at 160k miles, but still shines nicely. After a wash and clay, I went over a section first with Megs. yellow foam and Griots. Under the Brikmann lights I could see that surface marring was gone, but webbing and other `lines` still existed.

Then I turned to my Makita and said, "Alright, it`s your turn."

I grabbed that with a burgandy Megs. pad and UNO (got this at SEMA from Renny Doyle about 2 years ago--I think it was SEMA).

I primed the pad and set it about 2.75 on the dial to keep it under 1500rpms.

I worked it about 3 or 4 slow passes and did not wait until product was gone. Removed with trusted mf towel. Then I used the Makita with the yellow foam and 205 and then the same pad and 205, but changed to Griots.

BIG difference!

I am going to try the mf system next week for the first time and do the same above, but substitute UNO for 105.

I know I can get this down to 2 steps, but at least tonight I feel more like a corrector and not a polisher!

I have seen you guys use the Griots/PC and so on and get similar results, but I have not been able to correct with my Griots as well as today`s results. However, was just reading the thread on the surbuf pads and may try that, but a fellow detailer friend is getting great results with that mf system so we`ll have to see.

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WCD
    As I sat today eyeing the black BMW 328is (a car I have polished many times), I decided that over the years I had fallen victim to the hype about "burning paint" if you are not careful. Therefore, I have become a great polisher, but not "corrector" of paint..

and most watch in awe when they pass it to a corrector and get the reconditioned paint. how did they do it? cutting your `precious` clearcoat of course. might as well learn to do it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    WCD- Glad you`re getting comfortable with the Makita and getting that "true correction" done :xyxthumbs

I like the cautious way you approached the whole thing.

I don`t use my rotaries much any more, but I honestly believe that a user with the right mindset has little to fear from them (well, other than some holograms, which you`re taking care of with the Griot`s). Burning paint seems to be almost entirely a case of user carelessness, even if it only takes a moment on certain surfaces (edges, for instance).

That`s a fine system, the Makita-then-Griot`s approach. I use that kind of progression myself whenever the rotaries are involved, sometimes substituting a Cyclo for the Griot`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I had a black full size (double door) Chevy. Paint was so marred, it looked grey under the lights.

Scratches galore!

The customer only wanted it cleaned, but I decided to have a little fun and work it a bit more----

What worked best..

UNO with burgandy foam on speed 5 to 5.5 with Griots

I noticed that after the first wipe, that if I did another application, it cleared the paint further so 2x per panel

Then followed with yellow foam and 205- cleared it all up and had zero swirls

Opti-seal

The paint was about 85 to 90% better! I tried the MF system first, but was more comfortable with what I did above.

Customer was overjoyed and tipped generously. Short of wetsanding, I am not sure I could have gotten all the scratches out, but every surface scratch was gone after those two applications of UNO.

Fun, but sore right now and golf at 7AM so hope I can move!

Thanks for the continued input and support!

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will really enjoy what UNO is capable of at the seminar. Glad things are improving for you.

Thread Information