Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 07 Porsche 911 that`s black. I`ve really had a hard time trying to find the right combo and technique for correcting some light to medium marring. I have a PC and Makita 9227 that I haven`t used too much. I have orange, white, and yellow CCS pads with the following polishes:

Menzerna SIP

Menzerna p016ff

Megs 105

PO85RD

I also have a purple wool pad. I`ve had a problem with most of these polishes really dusting a lot. They are not getting rid of all the swirls no matter what I try. Can someone give me some tricks to get rid of the marring? What combo should work the best? Is there something else I should be purchasing and trying. I`d really appreciate your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I never worked on a porsches clear coat before.. But I know M105 and SIP with the right pad and technique should be sufficient to remove your defects and follow up with a lighter pad with PO85RD..

Yes products dust that doesnt mean its not working tho.

Try this tape off a square on your porsche. Try the Orange pad and M105 in that square and do a 2-3 passes in that square with M105 and Orange pad. Prime the pad with m105 first just by spreading the product all over the pad and rubbing it in. Then put 4 pea size dots of M105 on your Orange pad. Try that.. if still nothing then try a surbuff pad those have some serious cut.

Also see you have a wool pad that should also take care of your problems as well. I never used a wool pad before though so I dont know exactly how to use those.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would start with SIP on an Orange pad on the DA. Make an X on the pad with the SIP, press it against the surface, and rub it over your work area until is spread out (before you turn on the DA). Then using as much pressure as you can on the pad while keeping it rotated, move the pad slowly over the section going back and forth the up and down (repeat). If you start to get dusting, spritz a tiny amount of water on the pad and keep polishing like before.

Make sure you move the pad slowly, moving it to fast won`t allow the polish to work.

M105 is the worst product I`ve used when it comes to dusting.

The SIP should take care of the problem for you. Then after the marring is gone, use your 85RD on the softest pad you have (looks like the white pad from your list).
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    SIP dusts as well.. IDK but LOTS of people have success with M105 including myself. So what about dusting not a big deal rinse the car when its all polished and dry it thats it. People act like dust will kill you or something. Hey if the product gets me great results I can live with dust.

Post Thanks / Like
    You must have the newer version of M105 then, mine is the original, its the worst for dusting.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. I see one od you recommended the pc. Is this the best tool for the job?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jw
    Thanks for the responses. I see one od you recommended the pc. Is this the best tool for the job?

JW,

I do lots of Porsches and most of them (factory paint) have very soft clearcoats.

It could be prudent and logical to try your PC first, before going with your Makita.

My reco to you:

PC with Orange pad + Menz SIP (spend time doing this properly). I like to use Meguiars Maroon Pad.

PC with White pad + Menz 106FF

Do an alcohol wipedown. If everything looks ok, and you wanna enhance the finish, try PO85RD with the softest pad you hv.

But if the Porsche has lots of deep scratches and swirls that your PC can`t handle, you`ll need the rotary.

Based strictly on products and pads in your collection, maybe this combo could work out for you:

1. Rotary: M105 + orange pad

2. Rotary SIP + yellow or white (use very slow speed).

3. PC: 106FF + white (caution: even with only a PC, if you use 106FF + LC yellow, there could be holograms on this soft clearcoat)

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any other products that you`d recommend or that would make this task any easier?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really m105 and sip should tackle this job

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh, you guys who think M105 (and yeah, I have/like the v1.0) dusts a lot oughta try some of the old 3M stuff I still use! Their Extra Cut compound is a genuine dust storm, gets all over everything even with air cleaners running. Sure does cut though...

Quote Originally Posted by jw
    .. I see one od you recommended the pc. Is this the best tool for the job?

The potential problem with the rotary is that you can do damage or instill nasty holograms unless you have a certain level of skill. If the marring is severe I`d use the rotary to fix that, replacing it with holograms, and then use the PC to correct the holograms. But I`m used to hard paint and if the clear you have is soft that might not be a good idea. The PC/orange/M105 oughta correct most anything, at least if you use small pads (large ones like 6" are simply too big for the PC IME).

Note that Menzerna`s 106FF can conceal like you wouldn`t believe, so much so that I won`t use the stuff unless I *KNOW* that I`ve already done all the required correction.

I don`t think you really need more/different products, but I can`t help but wonder whether you`d like Optimum`s new spray compound more than what you have now.

Post Thanks / Like
    M105 seems to be pretty standard. and it should be enough--try looking up the KBM (Kevin Brown Method)--it`s a means of using m105 with a DA more efficiently IMO
    Decades ago, Accumulator sneezed on a car. The owner noticed that his car was imbued with something today this substance is called clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, i`ll look up he KBM.

Post Thanks / Like
    jw- See if you can find the explanations by gmblack3a. He did a great job of explaining just how he does the KBM.

Note that one of the tricks to getting good results with M105 is *having a lot of pads*. Once a pad gets loaed with old product/cut-off paint, it doesn`t work right. And cleaning them out, and especially drying them thoroughly, can be tough to do in the middle of a panel. Using SurBuf pads can get around this as they work fine wet.

Thread Information