Post Thanks / Like
    My first question is, can you use one pad to do an entire exterior or do they need a cleaning or need to be replaced during...?

Say one orange pad for the entire finish, followed by one white pad and so on or should the pads be sporadically cleaned during the polishing process to remove build up? I tend to see polish begin to be caked on and then the pads become less effective.

This is used with a PC 7424.

Lastly, how to tell when the pad needs to be thrown away?

I don`t post often but I`m about to try a full detail before winter hibernation

thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckstang95
    My first question is, can you use one pad to do an entire exterior or do they need a cleaning or need to be replaced during...?

Say one orange pad for the entire finish, followed by one white pad and so on or should the pads be sporadically cleaned during the polishing process to remove build up? I tend to see polish begin to be caked on and then the pads become less effective.

This is used with a PC 7424.

Lastly, how to tell when the pad needs to be thrown away?

I don`t post often but I`m about to try a full detail before winter hibernation

thank you

Although you might get lucky with one pad if the finish is absolutely clean and you don`t pick up any residual crud, you keep the pad super clean after each panel and you`re not removing a large amount of clearcoat, I don`t think it`d be realistic to expect to get away with one pad. I`d definitely have two of each I was planning on using, more is better. Drop a pad on the floor accidentally and you`re done with it until it`s thoroughly cleaned.

After each panel I clean it on the fly at slow speed with a utility MF and inspect it for debris. Although I have done light polishing on a small, light colored vehicle with minimal marring with just 1 pad I usually use at least 3 or 4 of each color because I prefer working with fresh pads.

As far as when is the pad shot... if the foam doesn`t show any visible degradation and the resistance is still consistant I use `em. I machine wash, spin the water out with a rotary or PC and let them air dry thoroughly after use. Most of my pads still look and perform as new. Of course, I`m an enthusiast/weekender so the pads don`t get the punishment of professional usage.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    When doing correction with a PC (using M105), I feel you`ll get the best correction by constantly cleaning your pads with a pad conditioning brush and then blowing them out with compressed air. After you polish, your pad tends to soften and loose it`s firmness. They also become loaded with spent product and dead paint dust. I change cutting pads after every other average sized panel to maximize effectiveness. Nothing cuts like a properly primed fresh pad.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    since this thread is already going...

how long do pads last? i did notice i cant do a whole car with one. i got through about 3/4 of the car before the cut started to die. is that true? or am i doing something wrong? if im doing compounding, do i have to constantly change pads on a single car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Koko
    since this thread is already going...

how long do pads last? i did notice i cant do a whole car with one. i got through about 3/4 of the car before the cut started to die. is that true? or am i doing something wrong? if im doing compounding, do i have to constantly change pads on a single car?

Yes, try changing your pad after every other normal sized body panel. Nothing better than a fresh pad as it will cut better and finish with less micormarring.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just noticed some small circular swirls, I think the`re called pig tails? looks kind of like how a good welder lays down a bead, like a row of nickles...the circles are over lapping in a line. I can`t figure out where there from. it only appeard on a panel that was repainted if that matters. thinking about it more, I was wondering if that would be from the CCS pads? I used a orange with Menzerna IP then a green with Menzerna FP. are my pads to old?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DHCrocks
    I just noticed some small circular swirls, I think the`re called pig tails? looks kind of like how a good welder lays down a bead, like a row of nickles...the circles are over lapping in a line. I can`t figure out where there from. it only appeard on a panel that was repainted if that matters. thinking about it more, I was wondering if that would be from the CCS pads? I used a orange with Menzerna IP then a green with Menzerna FP. are my pads to old?

Sounds like one of two things... The polish isn`t broken down all the way, or you have something on your pad like a piece of dirt or foreign debris thats causing the pig tails. Pics would be useful.

-josh

Thread Information