Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to get this tool because my arms and hands are getting tired of doing work by hand and I`d like to also be able to remove swirls. After reading about the Flex on here for quite a while, I see most ppl like it. Some do like machines as well. But regarding the flex, I have the following questions:

1. Do you still have to lubricate a part before 1st use or did they take care of that problem?

2. Is the 6.5 pad size suitable for working on all areas of the car? Can you work that narrow top section above side windows and on roofs that have uneven surface and bars (like that on most suvs)? I saw the video showing a Edge pad kit for the Flex. Is this the way to go?

3. What products would you recommend for removing medium/heavy swirls and to just restore dull faded paint?

4. Is the Chemical Guys deal a good one? They have a deal with pads for about $310US. They recommend I get the scratch n swirl remover and 3n fine polish too for removing the light hazing after the 1st pass with scratch n swirl.

5. Is it absolutely necessary to tape off cars when working with this tool?

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: I`ve been reading a lot and am now considering the GG 6" polisher. I`d get it with the 5.5" and 3.5" backing plates and order some 4" and 5.5" LC pads. Sound good?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I go with the buff and shine pads at autodetailingsolutions, which pads should i get for heavy polishing, followed by a light polish, followed by glaze/waxing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin2006
    Update: I`ve been reading a lot and am now considering the GG 6" polisher. I`d get it with the 5.5" and 3.5" backing plates and order some 4" and 5.5" LC pads. Sound good?

getting a DA such as this, or G110v2 would be a great choice especially for the beginner (everyone should one IMO). order the 3.5" and 5" backing plates along with the 4" and 5.5", along with a quart of both M105 and M205 and you`ll be on your way...

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Not sure about the new ones, hopefully they fixed it.

2. I have 6.5 inch pads and do not have a problem. I don`t know about the edge kit, the one they had for the pc was junk unless they fixed it.

3. Depends on the hardness/softness of the clear coat on the vehicle and what pad you are using. 105 like BigAl said is a great product, on softer clears you may want to use SIP. Just depends.

4. Never used those products so I can`t answer if those products are good or not.

I have a Flex and have been using it for about 2 years, it works great for soft and hard clears. I love the machine. Don`t be scared to turn it up to 6 even though its loud and spins faster than a PC. I never use less than 6 unless spreading the polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the GG polisher with 3.5" and 5" backing plates along with LC ccs pads (4" and 5.5").

I also ordered DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator & XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner.

For the polishes, I was going to go with the Chemical Guys scratch n swirl removes and 3n nano polise, but it seems that the Meguiars 105/205 combo seems to be the most popular choice on these forums. I`ll try and add them to my order.

As for the flex, I will likely get one later on. For now, I`ll try the GG and see if it does the job. If it doesn`t, then I`ll get a Flex and use the GG for the hard-to-reach areas and for applying glaze/wax.

Questions:

- How often do you have to apply the pad conditioner? Is it just at the start of a job or before doing every section?

- What is the best way to apply polish/wax to the pads? Is it using the X method or using the GG method of spreading it like butter?

- I see on some videos that ppl will spread the wax with the machine turned off. Others spread it by turning on the machine at a lower speed. What`s best?

Thread Information