Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    thanks for the update. if you could, please make a small video of it on each speed setting (1-6) so some can get an idea...
    Sure. I`ll get on that tomorrow.

Edit: I`ll get on that tonight. Just gotta pull my car back into the garage and let the camera charge for little.

Post Thanks / Like
    YouTube - Griot`s Garage 6" random orbital polisher

Here ya go. This is my second time using it. I don`t know how to embed on this site... i`ll try to figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboarder8232
    YouTube - Griot`s Garage 6" random orbital polisher

Here ya go. This is my second time using it. I don`t know how to embed on this site... i`ll try to figure it out.

nice little glimpse there, thanks for posting... :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Gee, am I the only person for whome the Griot`s merely "jiggles" under applied pressure?

snoboarder8232- I see you took off that bale handle :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Gee, am I the only person for whome the Griot`s merely "jiggles" under applied pressure?

snoboarder8232- I see you took off that bale handle :xyxthumbs
    Ha yeah I used the handle for like 1 pass and decided it was fail. No handle ftw.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad your enjoying The new purchase, so you recommend the GG..?

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up the griots machine with the 5.5 ccs pads and couldnt be happier. This was my first time using a machine and it was very simple. I went with m105 and then 85rd. I ran out of time so I didnt wax yet but the results were pretty amazing! Only problem now is that I know where each individual paint chip there is! Worst part is the car is a black 09 with really soft clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am absolutely in love with my griots machine! Used it for the first time this weekend and man it has power to spare so much so that you really have to watch it with finishing pads because it wants to walk a little bit. So much better than my PC. I used the 5.5 uber pads and was tickled to death. Griots all the way
    Bo Davenport

Evolution Detail

Elizabeth City NC

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I am going to go with the Griots for now. I really want the Flex, but I`m still in the newer stages of polishing and I think when I start actually getting good with polishing I`ll get the Flex for that extra "oomph."

Also financially, it makes more sense as it is a cheaper than almost all the other buffers and has more power than a PC.

Griot`s Garage 6" Random Orbital - Griot`s Garage

Should I spend the extra $ and go with a 25 ft cable? I`m thinking no. I don`t have any shortage of extension cords. I can use this tool to apply and buff wax off too right? What kind of pads should I get? Also, do I need any kind of "Backing plates" with the Griots?

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear John K

Ive been polishing by hand for a while... ( don`t know what i was thinking)

I am deciding between the Flex or GG.

I gotta make a decision and pull the trigger today to have it by this weekend.

From what Ive seen in different post they are both great machines.

Either way anyone of those machines is better than the hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanethics
    I am glad your enjoying The new purchase, so you recommend the GG..?
    Absolutely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_K
    I think I am going to go with the Griots for now. I really want the Flex, but I`m still in the newer stages of polishing and I think when I start actually getting good with polishing I`ll get the Flex for that extra "oomph."

Also financially, it makes more sense as it is a cheaper than almost all the other buffers and has more power than a PC.

Griot`s Garage 6" Random Orbital - Griot`s Garage

Should I spend the extra $ and go with a 25 ft cable? I`m thinking no. I don`t have any shortage of extension cords. I can use this tool to apply and buff wax off too right? What kind of pads should I get? Also, do I need any kind of "Backing plates" with the Griots?
    . You can use it for wax. Griot`s suggests using their red pad for wax, but you can use LC blue, gray, red, etc pads as well. I was only able to use their orange pad because my LC CCS pads didn`t arrive yet, but you can use any lake country 5.5-6.5in pads on the standard backplate. The Griot`s comes with a 6 in backing plate that will work with any hook and loop pad (just like the PCXP, g110v2, etc.).

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Something doesn`t sound right?

Here`s something very interesting about the three popular DA polishers, if you turn any of the polishers on the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting and hold them against a panel on the car but with just very, very light pressure, basically just enough to have the face of the pad making contact with the paint, the pads don`t rotate very well at all and will change directions.

As soon as you begin to apply firm downward pressure then they start to rotating the pad, it`s as though something engages...

If you apply too much pressure, buff on just an edge of the pad or place the face of the buffing pad on a raised body line or curvature, then the pad will stop rotating. Definitely a little bit of technique is needed to really take advantage of the capability of these types of tool.

I`ve used all three DA Polishers extensively and the GG ROP does the best job of keeping a pad rotating under pressure. I also wrote this little tidbit this morning on the AG forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Definitely a game changer as it relates to the Meguiar`s unit and the Porter Cable unit, it will be interesting to see if Meguiar`s or Porter Cable introduce a more powerful DA Polisher in the future.

A number of times on this forum and I think on Autopia I`ve posted that when used correctly, that is with the pad held flat to the surface, the Griot`s Garage DA Polisher functionally works like a rotary buffer but of course not as much power as a rotary buffer as it does have a Free Floating Spindle Assembly.

That is to say, that on the 5.0 and 6.0 Speed Setting you can`t stop the pad from rotating so in essence it`s acting just like a rotary buffer except that it also oscillates the pad while it rotates the pad and you don`t get the buffer swirls like are common to rotary buffers during the correction steps.

You can of course push hard enough to stop the pad from rotating but the pressure required is more than common sense would allow as you would start bending the panel you`re working on.

Don`t know if anyone in this thread is attending my machine polishing class this weekend but everyone that does attend is going to have the opportunity to use all the tools in the picture below plus learn how to Damp-Sand.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboarder8232

Don`t get the 25 ft cable if you have extension cords.

I actually love the longer cord already wired-in to the polisher. On my personal rotary buffer I wire in an extension cord for convenience and so I don`t have to mess with taping my plug-ins together so they don`t come unplugged.

Personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    I actually love the longer cord already wired-in to the polisher. On my personal rotary buffer I wire in an extension cord for convenience and so I don`t have to mess with taping my plug-ins together so they don`t come unplugged.

Personal preference.

Fair enough; makes sense.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information