Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    so i want to get another DA polisher....I have the PCXP already and like it. I have the hitachi rotary which works really well

should i try out the griots one or get another PCXP???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I`d give some thought to the 6" Griot`s pads. Their orange polishing pad is *very* good IMO, at least as long as you don`t need something really aggressive. It`s a lot more gentle than other "orange pads".

My Griot`s 6" RO is also a lot better than my PCs, but I`d still think twice about using big pads on it, at least if you`re gonna be applying much pressure. Evenwith just a 6" pad on it, I was able to bog mine (i.e., I overcame the rotation so it merely "jiggled", same as with a PC) easier than I`d expected based on what others had reported about theirs.

I`d even give thought to buying smaller backing plates so you can use 5.5" or even 4" pads (same backing plates as the PC takes).
    Thanks. Just bought the Griot`s with their pads and a few of their other products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    ..should i try out the griots one or get another PCXP???

Well....I had zero interest in the XP but I was happy to get the Griot`s for Christmas. Hey, it`s just IMO, but I`d go with the Griot`s. It`s supposedly the most powerful of this type of polisher, and IM(very limited)E with it it`s none too powerful at that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboarder8232
    Thanks for the input. I have decided to go with Griot`s! Do you use the 6.5" LC pads?

I picked up a 5" backing plate and have been using 5.5" LC pads with my Griots machine. This combo works extremely well, although I did pick up a set of 4" pads and backing plate as well for tighter areas which is nice to have too.
    "The Carfather"

Post Thanks / Like
    Note that there are two versions of the Griot`s 6" RO; one has a longer cord.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    so i want to get another DA polisher....I have the PCXP already and like it. I have the hitachi rotary which works really well

should i try out the griots one or get another PCXP???

Why do you want a second DA polisher? If you think you can afford it, I would go with a Flex. My arsenal is a Makita Rotary, my Flex and my UDM (very similar to the PC). Each one has its own specific place when I polish. In many cases I will have all three out with pads on them to select from when I am at different points in polishing a car.

If I am polishing a large area like a hood, roof, door, etc., I will generally go with the rotary with an 8 inch pad so I can polish a large amount of area faster. When I get to smaller areas, I will switch to my Flex with a six inch pad. When I get to really tight areas where I really need to be careful, I reach for my UDM with a 4 inch pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Note that there are two versions of the Griot`s 6" RO; one has a longer cord.
    HD and non-HD. I just got the base model with the 10` cord. I have extension cords.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboarder8232
    HD and non-HD. I just got the base model with the 10` cord. I have extension cords.

Yeah....I ended up using the same extension cord as usual even *with* the HD model`s longer cord!

Quote Originally Posted by bert31
    Why do you want a second DA polisher? If you think you can afford it, I would go with a Flex.

That does come to mind, huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    That does come to mind, huh?

? - I must be missing something.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still trying to pick between G110 or Griots. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am a total newbie, so wouldn`t the extra power of Griots may be more than I can `handle`, lol?

I have the XP now, and I don`t really like it too much, I have a friend buying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    bert31- Sorry, didn`t mean to be inscrutable I just meant that whenever somebody already has a polisher and wants another one, the Flex 3401 comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardorius
    I am still trying to pick between G110 or Griots. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am a total newbie, so wouldn`t the extra power of Griots may be more than I can `handle`, lol?

I have the XP now, and I don`t really like it too much....

Absolutely, positively *NOT*!

If you currently have a PCXP, and want more power, I can`t help but wonder if even the Griot`s will be enough for you. I`d be considering the Flex 3401.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardorius

I have the XP now, and I don`t really like it too much, I have a friend buying it.

Doubted, both are not as strong as the Flex in general. Some might say the Griots has a huge amount of raw power, enough to match the Flex. However the fact is the G110v2/Griots are NOT Forced driven like the Flex.

If you are brand new to polishing any orbital may seem too strong to try, but like your first experience with an electric toothbrush once you get use to an orbital its quite fun/easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvaBimma
    .. Some might say the Griots has a huge amount of raw power, enough to match the Flex...

Heh heh, the only people I can imagine saying *that* are vendors and armchair experts who`ve never actually used the thing

If you are brand new to polishing any orbital may seem too strong to try, but like your first experience with an electric toothbrush once you get use to an orbital its quite fun/easy to use.

Hey, that`s a good way to express it! Though I wouldn`t go so far as to call it "fun" :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great thread... Thanks to the OP that made it.

Another question or two from a newb to this: Why upgrade to the Flex? Does it just have so much more power that it can be used on even the most difficult swirls? Is it a D/A buffer as well?

Also, why is power important, because wouldn`t too much power cause burns / buffer marks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_K
    Another question or two from a newb to this: Why upgrade to the Flex? Does it just have so much more power that it can be used on even the most difficult swirls? Is it a D/A buffer as well?

Also, why is power important, because wouldn`t too much power cause burns / buffer marks?

IMO it`s a matter of using the correct tool for the job. The "weaker" of these machines weren`t designed to polish autopaint; they were designed as finish sanders (primarily for woodworking), which is a completely different situation. The more powerful machines that recently became commonly available were designed for detailing and are simply better suited to that task.

More power (or, in the case of the Flex 3401, power being applied to both the rotation and the orbital motion) makes it a lot easier to get the work done in a timely manner. Make that "in a remotely timely manner" or even a "feasibly timely manner".

With a very gentle approach (e.g., PC/6" pads), it`s not uncommon to spend many hours correcting fairly mild marring on hard clear (BTDT), and by "many hours" I don`t mean just three or four. How many hours of work do you really want to spend on *one* door?

A more powerful machine can also help break down a product`s abrasives in a thorough/proper manner (it`s not uncommon for very gentle machines to have issues on very fragile paints because the initial bite of a product can leave "pigtail" scratches which don`t come out as the abrasive breaks down), actually making said (more powerful) machine *safer* or at least more likely to give good results.

Yeah, it`s possible to burn/damage paint with any polisher, even a (pre-XP) PC. And even the most experienced expert, using the most gentle machine, can have an "oops!". But "possible" and "can" are a LOOONG way from "likely". IMO all these polishers are perfectly safe in the hands of anybody with a modicum of common sense who`s willing/able to develop a decent knowledge base, apply some thought, and keep focused on the task at hand. That`s not to say that a better knowledge base, above-average sense, and experience aren`t beneficial But if somebody is, uhm.... the sort of person in whose hands any of these polishers is likely to cause problems, then that person has issues far beyond the scope of this thread.

Study the subject before you do anything, consider what you`re about to do (how and why), stay focused/pay attention, and deal with anything unexpected right away, and there shouldn`t be any problems.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information