Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am ordering the Griot`s machine in two weeks (payday) and in the past with the PC I have used 4 inch edge pads to perform correction, my question is should I pick up the six inch edge pads? or should I go with the tried and true 5.5 LC pads? I really like the edge 4 inch pads the way they center themselves but are the six inch two big? I think the Griot`s machine has the power needed to spin the sixes but has anyone used the edge six inch pads?? Any one who can chime up would be a great help. Oh and if it helps I am strictly a part time detailer, doing maybe 12 cars a year.
    Bo Davenport

Evolution Detail

Elizabeth City NC

Post Thanks / Like
    I just use the Griot`s 6" pads on my Griot`s 6" machine, and 3" pads on the 3" machine.

I get good results out of `em....

Post Thanks / Like
    Have the edge pads fallen out of grace? Are the velcro backs that much better or is it that six inches are just two big?
    Bo Davenport

Evolution Detail

Elizabeth City NC

Post Thanks / Like
    6 or 6.5 is fine with the griot`s 6, it has more than enough power to keep those pads spinning under pressure. I prefer 6 or 6.5s for larger areas, and still use 5.5s or 5.25s on tighter areas like side panels, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although the new Griot can spin a 6.5" pad, I still perfer the 5.5" pads. I only use 5.5" pads on my rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got the new Griots 6" polisher and absolutely LOVE it so far! It has PLENTY of power, much more than my older model PC. I purchased 5.5" HydroTech pads and some 5.5" LC flat pads to use with it, along with a bunch of 4" pads for tight areas. Even at speed 5, I can`t get the machine to bog down with my normal amount of pressure I use when compounding with it, which is quite a bit as I use the KBM. I am actually looking into picking up some 6.5" pads now to use on the larger areas now that I know the machine has the power for them.
    "The Carfather"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by strauss
    I just got the new Griots 6" polisher and absolutely LOVE it so far! It has PLENTY of power, much more than my older model PC. I purchased 5.5" HydroTech pads and some 5.5" LC flat pads to use with it, along with a bunch of 4" pads for tight areas. Even at speed 5, I can`t get the machine to bog down with my normal amount of pressure I use when compounding with it, which is quite a bit as I use the KBM. I am actually looking into picking up some 6.5" pads now to use on the larger areas now that I know the machine has the power for them.

nice feedback, i was thinking of purchasing one of these in the near future...

Post Thanks / Like
    what all are you guys using the griots polisher for? I just bought mine yesterday and am wondering if I should buy those carpet brush attachments for it? Anyone using it for headlight restoration with a smaller backing plate or would you recommend getting the smaller 3in polisher griots sells?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use mine for polishing paint and tail/headlights. I picked up 4" pads and backing plate for doing tighter areas which was a nice addition. I also have a makita rotory that I use for headlight restoration when wetsanding needs to be done. I actually use the makita any time I need HEAVY correction in a timely manner, and I always finish with the DA after. I really like having both machines.
    "The Carfather"

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping an old thread here. Have been using a GG polisher for about a month, and am starting to see the limitations of the 6" (only have the orange and red that came with the GG). Need some 4" pads, but I`m a little confused about backing plates--are they universal fit? If not, can someone recommend what kind of backing plates you`d use with the Griots? All I ever hear about are LC pads, so I might be looking at some of those (i know they don`t make 4" pads, but I would like to try their blue, or whatever the wax/sealant one is). But if you have other recommendations for pads, I`d really appreciate that too. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch. - 3.5" backing plate that will work with your GG DA and 4" pads.

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate - 5" backing plate that will work with your GG DA and 5.5" pads.

Lake country pads will work, and yes they do make 4" pads. Many people recommend uber pads that you can find on detailersdomain as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboarder8232
    3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch. - 3.5" backing plate that will work with your GG DA and 4" pads.

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate - 5" backing plate that will work with your GG DA and 5.5" pads.

Lake country pads will work, and yes they do make 4" pads. Many people recommend uber pads that you can find on detailersdomain as well.

snoboarder hit the nail on the head! If you are going to be getting any 4" pads I would pick them up from autodetailingsolutions b/c right now he has a deal going for 4.95 for 2 pack of pads and they are the same pads as DD.
    Fergy-

Your only as good as your last detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclrider
    snoboarder hit the nail on the head! If you are going to be getting any 4" pads I would pick them up from autodetailingsolutions b/c right now he has a deal going for 4.95 for 2 pack of pads and they are the same pads as DD.

Honestly, I`m not entirely sure which size pads I need. All I know is that the 6" pads that came from Griots that work great for large surface areas, are not going to work on smaller ones. So I was thinking about getting some 4" pads for smaller surface areas. What do most people have when it comes to pads? I noticed there are 6", 5.5", 5", 4"... I mean, what does a 5.5" pad do that a 5" doesn`t? Or even a 6" for that matter? I`m completely new to machine polishing so treat me like as much of a newb as you need to. Also, having never seen -much-less touched- a Lake Country pad, how would you compare these to the Griots pads? They look quite different, and for the most part I`ve been happy with the Griot`s pads. I would like something a little more aggressive than their orange, but I have no complaints for their red when it comes to waxing. Well, my only complaint is that the Griot`s pads seem to soak up a lot of product, which is kind of a waste. What are the staple LCC pads? I`d like to buy 3 different lake country pads (with their 6 pack deal), but I want two of each. So can you recommend 1 cutting pad, 1 polishing pad, and 1 LSP pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillHo
    Honestly, I`m not entirely sure which size pads I need. All I know is that the 6" pads that came from Griots that work great for large surface areas, are not going to work on smaller ones. So I was thinking about getting some 4" pads for smaller surface areas. What do most people have when it comes to pads? I noticed there are 6", 5.5", 5", 4"... I mean, what does a 5.5" pad do that a 5" doesn`t? Or even a 6" for that matter? I`m completely new to machine polishing so treat me like as much of a newb as you need to. Also, having never seen -much-less touched- a Lake Country pad, how would you compare these to the Griots pads? They look quite different, and for the most part I`ve been happy with the Griot`s pads. I would like something a little more aggressive than their orange, but I have no complaints for their red when it comes to waxing. Well, my only complaint is that the Griot`s pads seem to soak up a lot of product, which is kind of a waste. What are the staple LCC pads? I`d like to buy 3 different lake country pads (with their 6 pack deal), but I want two of each. So can you recommend 1 cutting pad, 1 polishing pad, and 1 LSP pad?
    Maybe Orange, white, and blue. At least that`s what I would use. Pad size from 5" - * is pretty much personal preference. The GG can spin 6.5" pads without a problem, so it`s up to you if you want 5.5" pads or 6.5" pads. If you want 5.5" pads you will need a 5" backing plate, however. Even though you already have a 6" backing plate, you`ll probably save money in the long run with a 5" backing plate, because 5.5" pads are a decent amount cheaper than 5.5" pads. 4" pads are used for areas that a 5" - * pad would be too large for. I just bought some 4" LC CCS pads for use with my 3.5" backing plate, but haven`t gotten a change to try them out yet.

I`ll let someone else chime in on the comparison of the Griot`s pads to the CCS pads because I have not used either enough to make a fair comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    The GG polisher can carry any 5/16 diameter thread like the PC/Meg`s 2.0. A staple LC pad would be their flat pads, whether the thicker or flat kind. Smaller size 5.5 pads allow your throw action of the GG to be stronger and create more corrective power. This is simply due to less coverage area needed to be buffed and your polisher can focus its power in a smaller area. I dont think they make a 5inch pad.

If product absorption is a problem (and it should be only a minor one since polishers reduce your usage vs hand application), go with the Hydro Tech pads since they are Euro-Foam and keep the product at the top of the surface more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information