Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I just got my Griots Random Orbital 6" polisher.

I watched the DVD and noticed that the pad spins about 1 or 2 revolutions per second. When I use mine, it spins like a washer on spin cycle. Is this right? how fast should it be going?

BTW - I did adjust the speed setting, it does go slower on 1, but not much.

Thanks!

Roland

Post Thanks / Like
    rolandmw- Welcome to Autopia!

I dunno how much stock you should put in this response as I haven`t even taken *my* Griot`s 6" out of the box yet But..

Don`t confuse the two motions that the machine does- circular rotation and elliptical orbiting. (If you already have a firm grasp of this, I hope you don`t consider me too pedantic or condescending).

The rotation of the pad is not powered, it`s free-wheeling. It`s the other motion, the elliptical orbiting, that`s powered.

So how fast it orbits depends on the speed setting.

How fast, or how much, it *rotates* is dependent on how much friction there is between the pad and the surface being polished. Besides what pad and product you`re using (and how much of that product), that friction is primarily a matter of how much pressure you`re applying.

I`d pick the correct (orbit) speed for the job (which`ll be the highest two speeds when you`re doing normal polishing) and as long as the pad is rotating, I wouldn`t worry much about it. *Generally* I`d say that you want fairly slow rotation.

You might check this out: Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandmw
    Hi,

I just got my Griots Random Orbital 6" polisher.

I watched the DVD and noticed that the pad spins about 1 or 2 revolutions per second. When I use mine, it spins like a washer on spin cycle. Is this right? how fast should it be going?

BTW - I did adjust the speed setting, it does go slower on 1, but not much.

Thanks!

Roland

i believe the dvd is old and the 6" random orbital in the video, is not the newer one sold now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    rolandmw- Welcome to Autopia!

I dunno how much stock you should put in this response as I haven`t even taken *my* Griot`s 6" out of the box yet But..

Don`t confuse the two motions that the machine does- circular rotation and elliptical orbiting. (If you already have a firm grasp of this, I hope you don`t consider me too pedantic or condescending).

The rotation of the pad is not powered, it`s free-wheeling. It`s the other motion, the elliptical orbiting, that`s powered.

So how fast it orbits depends on the speed setting.

How fast, or how much, it *rotates* is dependent on how much friction there is between the pad and the surface being polished. Besides what pad and product you`re using (and how much of that product), that friction is primarily a matter of how much pressure you`re applying.

I`d pick the correct (orbit) speed for the job (which`ll be the highest two speeds when you`re doing normal polishing) and as long as the pad is rotating, I wouldn`t worry much about it. *Generally* I`d say that you want fairly slow rotation.

You might check this out: Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate,

Thanks for the reply... I would be interested in finding out if yours reacts the same way.

I figured spin rate would reduce if I applied pressure. appears that the pad rotates on its own and the motor just spings the entire assembly..

One would think they could actually grab a hold of the disk and try to slow or stop the rotation... mine just spins like a drill..

Now, if its suppose to react that way, then thats fine, I`ll just start using it.

Thanks again!

Roland

Post Thanks / Like
    BigAl3- Good catch :xyxthumbs That slipped right past me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I think the speed settings recommended haven`t changed - the machine is finally doing what it should.

Thread Information