Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    .. guys like gmblack3a have said that if you`re using 205 with a DA, you should keep the same firm pressure all the way til you`re done. I just did the wife`s Sequoia using a PC, and did the firm pressure til done routine. It finished out quite nicely.

Same here, pressure on all the passes.

Quote Originally Posted by the_invisible
    I was freaked out at first when my DA + #205 + Gray finishing pad was creating some faint holograms.

Probably a perfect example of the oils leavng psuedo-holograms.

To my limited knowledge, Meguiar`s uses the word "Polish" to refer to glazes or polishing oil...

Oh, just get me going on the "inventive" ways that Meguiar`s uses various words

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I would bump this yet again [Very helpful thread]

Low humidity, 65* in the garage.

I did my hood today, no pictures [sorry!]. KBM of priming the 4" cyan pad on my 7424xp polisher with M105, followed by a quick spreading of the product on speed 3 on the area [tried to keep it small]. At speed 6, Firm Pressure on the first 4+ passes and then lighter pressure on the finishing passes. The product came off extremely easy. Followed with KBM primed 4" Tangerine with M205, spread on speed 3, and then speed 6 with firm pressure throughout the passes. Wiped down when finished [also easy]. When the hood was completed, wiped down with 50% IPA. Then wiped the hood with Klasse AIO before applying the LSP. I will have daylight to view the full results tomorrow.

Any advice or correction to my procedures before I continue on to the next panel?

Also, after wiping down and checking the results of the M105/cyan, can I continue to make effective passes with the M105 to further the results, or is there a point where M105 cannot cut any further [maybe the point that I don`t want it to cut any further]?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootluke
    Any advice or correction to my procedures before I continue on to the next panel?

While I`d be hesitant to change what seems to be working....

I wouldn`t spread the M105. Not at all. It tends to flash off too quickly whenever I do that, limiting the effective working time.

Also, after wiping down and checking the results of the M105/cyan, can I continue to make effective passes with the M105 to further the results, or is there a point where M105 cannot cut any further [maybe the point that I don`t want it to cut any further]?

It will always cut, but once the oils/etc. dry/flash things`ll get problematic.

Even when you buff it off it will still cut! (Yeah, that`s a warning )

So you can just keep re-M105ing an area until you cut all the way down to primer

But IMO the best way to do it is to stop and clean/reprime/reload the pad frequently.

Reactivating the dried-up M105 with distilled water or QD so it can keep cutting can lead to problems...so yeah, I`m mentioning it, but I`m also repeating my "don`t try this at home, kids!" caveat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good. I`ll post up my results in a bit.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    While I`d be hesitant to change what seems to be working....

I wouldn`t spread the M105. Not at all. It tends to flash off too quickly whenever I do that, limiting the effective working time.

It will always cut, but once the oils/etc. dry/flash things`ll get problematic.

Even when you buff it off it will still cut! (Yeah, that`s a warning )

So you can just keep re-M105ing an area until you cut all the way down to primer

But IMO the best way to do it is to stop and clean/reprime/reload the pad frequently.

Reactivating the dried-up M105 with distilled water or QD so it can keep cutting can lead to problems...so yeah, I`m mentioning it, but I`m also repeating my "don`t try this at home, kids!" caveat.

so when polishing with 105, does it become translucent and that`s a good reference for wiping off the excess and checking work, or do you just stop after a certain number of passes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cholleman
    so when polishing with 105, does it become translucent and that`s a good reference for wiping off the excess and checking work, or do you just stop after a certain number of passes?

I stop after a given number of passes/period of time or when it feels/looks like it`s time to quit (primarily when I work it longer than usual).

IME it doesn`t change appearance-wise in an obvious way that you can use for a gauge (that is, not like #80) and that last bit I mentioned sorta comes with experience rather than being a true visual cue..."eh..looks like I`d better quit before I over-work it.."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information