Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    For correcting and compounding, I still like wool. But things are kinda changing in the pad world now, what with Edge getting bought and dismantled by 3M, and the KBM method changing things up a bit.

So it`s probably going to be necessary for those of us that bought in to the Edge 2k system to switch to something new when it comes to foam pads.

I really like 6 inch and smaller pads, and now with the KBM method becoming so popular, it`s looking like the 5.5 inch pads might be an even better choice so the same pad can be used KBM/DA or just on a rotary.

One thing I`ve always liked about Proper Auto Care`s LC pads is the "constant Pressure" two layer of foam system they use. The stiffer backing foam really just *works* for me. And now they have really hit the sweet spot: they are making the constant pressure foam LC pads in 5.5" (*perfect* for DA/KBM and just a *shade* on the small side to be perfect, IMO, for rotary), *flat* pads. Check them out here: <font color="red">NEW</font> Lake Country Classic Flat
    5-1/2" Foam Pads
    constant pressure and flat (no CCS)! hard to ask for more than that, really.

But wait, there`s more! Just when I`m thinkin`, ok, I got my new pads figured out, I stumble on these: Lake Country Kompressor 6 Inch Foam Pads, foam buffing pads, slotted foam pads, Lake Country compressed foam pads The geek now has Kompressor pads in six inch! So now we sway a bit the other direction... perfect size for rotary, possibly a bit big for KBM/DA, but still close enough. They are almost half again as expensive as the PAC`s, though. There hasn`t been a whole bunch of stuff written here on Autopia about the Kompressors. What do you guys think of them? Now that they are available in six inch size, it`s really tempting to get a couple to try out, but they are kinda pricey.

I *know* I`m gonna like the PAC pads, there`s just nothing about them to not love... perfect size, they are constant pressure, flat, and priced right. But the Kompressors.... hmmmmmm. :think2

What do you guys think?

This would all be so much more simple if Megs would just make the Soft Buff 2.0`s available in sizes smaller than 7". A 5.5" Soft Buff 2.0 would be perfect.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    You missed one other option - the new HD UNO polish. It is taking compounding/polishing to a new level. Otherwise I aggree with your post, except that those cma pads are very finicky when it comes to the velcro. Worst of all pads in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the little I`ve seen in the archives here and elsewhere, it doesn`t seem to get top notch reviews, I personally have never used them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    You missed one other option - the new HD UNO polish. It is taking compounding/polishing to a new level. Otherwise I aggree with your post, except that those cma pads are very finicky when it comes to the velcro. Worst of all pads in my experience.

Expound on that a little more Thomas, tell us about your experience with this polish..Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a bunch of CMA/PAC velcro failures a few years ago, too. Apparently, they had a bad run of glue. They did replace the pads at no charge and I haven`t had a problem with their glue/velcro since then.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm... something else yet to buy... You really have my interest piqued on the HD Uno now.

I just did a search for posts by you, Thomas, and you tease a few places by recommending it, but no review posts from ya that I could find... I did see that BMW, but no halogen befores/afters, or "this is how it worked..." kinda stuff.

C`mon now, spill it!! I`m dying of curiosity here...

Post Thanks / Like
    It was very hard to capture the swirls/scratches on the 335. I gave up on trying.

Trust me, one pass with the uno and you`ll know that it is a very different polish. Doesn`t dust either.

I guess everything DavidB claimed with this product is true.

Did you finf the red acura before and after shots?

PS: have you tried the euro 3m? pads that Phill sells? Those suppose to be very different. In a good way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your recommendation is enough to convince me to give the Uno a try.

I didn`t see the Acura.. I`lll go look for it right now.

The only 3m pad I`ve used is the big 8" UF pad. Think I`ll have a look at Phil`s pads... LOL, I thought I was getting *close* to deciding what I was gonna replace my Edge`s with... Darn you, Thomas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh yes just when you think you have everything figured out the munfactures go ahead and change up the game again. This is when knowing the basics of detailing come into play. There are a LOT of new flavors out there. But how do you decide what are nothing more than flash in the pans and what`s legit? I remember 2 years ago the CCS pad`s were all the rage. every top detailer had to have them and if you weren`t using them then you weren`t a high level detailer.. blah blah blah... Now look. companies left and right are just trying to give these things away basically. I don`t know if these new pads do crap or not. The kompressor pads honestly to me look like they just wouldn`t last too long. with all the little cuts in them I could see myself tearing them up in a heartbeat really. Dosen`t mean their a bad pad.. Just not for me. I`ve always like flat pads in foam for polishing. I`m actually glad to see their coming back in "Fashion" I do like the smaller sizes too. much more variety this time around.

Same with polishes. There are new ones hitting the market everyday. What`s really new and what`s just re-labled "Brand X"? I will say 105/205 really changed things up a bit. I think Uno is going to. But... (and I haven`t tested this yet because I can`t get anymore yet) years ago I tested safty clean`s cut-n-glaze and it did the exact same thing. 1 polish from compound all the way down to micropolishing. Just changed the pads and the technique but never switch the product. And it worked phenomenally well. So while Uno maybe a top notch product it`s still nothing new. Dosen`t make it bad it just dosen`t really make it new either. Maybe some differnt properties to it. But in the end the jist of what it`s about is rather old hat.

In the end don`t forget the old adage.... no matter what the new flavor of the week is it`s still 90% detailer/technique and only 10% product. Don`t go broke buying up product. if you were getting great results before (as most of you guys are) why change a good thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    Ahh yes just when you think you have everything figured out the munfactures go ahead and change up the game again. This is when knowing the basics of detailing come into play. There are a LOT of new flavors out there. But how do you decide what are nothing more than flash in the pans and what`s legit? I remember 2 years ago the CCS pad`s were all the rage. every top detailer had to have them and if you weren`t using them then you weren`t a high level detailer.. blah blah blah... Now look. companies left and right are just trying to give these things away basically. I don`t know if these new pads do crap or not. The kompressor pads honestly to me look like they just wouldn`t last too long. with all the little cuts in them I could see myself tearing them up in a heartbeat really. Dosen`t mean their a bad pad.. Just not for me. I`ve always like flat pads in foam for polishing. I`m actually glad to see their coming back in "Fashion" I do like the smaller sizes too. much more variety this time around.

Same with polishes. There are new ones hitting the market everyday. What`s really new and what`s just re-labled "Brand X"? I will say 105/205 really changed things up a bit. I think Uno is going to. But... (and I haven`t tested this yet because I can`t get anymore yet) years ago I tested safty clean`s cut-n-glaze and it did the exact same thing. 1 polish from compound all the way down to micropolishing. Just changed the pads and the technique but never switch the product. And it worked phenomenally well. So while Uno maybe a top notch product it`s still nothing new. Dosen`t make it bad it just dosen`t really make it new either. Maybe some differnt properties to it. But in the end the jist of what it`s about is rather old hat.

In the end don`t forget the old adage.... no matter what the new flavor of the week is it`s still 90% detailer/technique and only 10% product. Don`t go broke buying up product. if you were getting great results before (as most of you guys are) why change a good thing?

`Cause they`re not making my "good thing" anymore... Edge pads, that is. After going around buying one pad here, one pad there, couple more of these, and toss in one of those, I got tired of throwing money at pads and settled on the Edge 2k and six inch PFW`s as my pads of choice, and I bought large... lot`s of each. But now my Edges are all getting long in the tooth, so I would like to settle again on one line of pads.

I got a good start down that road, but now it`s lookin` like I might go back to one of these, one of those, couple of them...... And it`s all Thomas! fault!

Seriously, though, I agree with your thoughts on the Kompressors; they don`t look like they would last very long, and they are quite expensive. But there is something intriguing about them. I might get one just to give it a try.

Other than the velcro glue failures I had with CMA/PAC a few years ago, I always did like their Constant Pressure pads. I had them in all shapes and sizes, and yeah, i did bite into the CCS thing, too; all of em were CCS except for a few OEM freebies they threw in a long the way. I still have quite a few of the CCS pads, but I don`t like them nearly as well as plain old flat pads.

Jake, what`s your pad of choice right now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    PS: have you tried the euro 3m? pads that Phill sells? Those suppose to be very different. In a good way.

Are these the ones? Uber Foam Buffing Pads I`m not seeing any other pads besides these, but they don`t say Euro or 3m anywhere...

Edit: I just ran in to a very useful chart/post over on another board...Proper Auto Care: Understanding Lake Country Polishing Pads - Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum I hope I`m not over stepping my bounds by posting a link to it, but it has some *really* useful information in it. Pretty much every possible question you could have about LC pads answered in one chart. it doesn`t show the new 5.5 inch constant pressure flat pads in it, but other than that, it pretty much has it all covered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea good points there. I hate loosing something that works. And on the dewalt i use the edge pads exclusively. Wool and foam.

But on the makita I`ve been using these Car Buffing Pads, Car Wash Equipment, Automotive Polishing Pad & More – Buff and Shine They have a large variety of sizes and selection. And apparently they whore themselves out like chemical guys and have a bunch of different guys re-brand them (unless they are re-braned themselves... Never sure where the origin is on these types of things) So I`m taking that as they have staying power. Their foam holds up extreamly well. I get really great finishes from them and I can pick and choose what I need from them. Plus next to the edge system it`s the easiest centering pad I`ve ever used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you guys ever tried system one? If you have, how does it compare to Uno? I currently use system one with either a foam cutting pad or a foam finishing pad on my dewalt rotary. I`m 90% happy with it, but I wonder if there is anything out there that does a better job for the same price or does the same for less. System one is $120 a gallon but I get it for $85.:thx
    -James

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got some issues with the way they describe the Red foam compound though. IME, it should not be used with any type of abrasive polish. Its way to soft to actually roll abrasives out with. The softer the pad, the better the ability for the abrasive to take comfort in. Red should be left for sealants and liquid or soft nubas......
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Are these the ones? Uber Foam Buffing Pads I`m not seeing any other pads besides these, but they don`t say Euro or 3m anywhere...

Edit: I just ran in to a very useful chart/post over on another board...Proper Auto Care: Understanding Lake Country Polishing Pads - Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum I hope I`m not over stepping my bounds by posting a link to it, but it has some *really* useful information in it. Pretty much every possible question you could have about LC pads answered in one chart. it doesn`t show the new 5.5 inch constant pressure flat pads in it, but other than that, it pretty much has it all covered.

The link to Todds`s post is all about pads available in the USA. The Euro pads suppose to be much better pads. You might want to call Phill. I haven`t tried them yet, but as my ccs pads wear out I`ll get those from Phill. (The Euro UF 6.5" blue pad is also a better pad from the large one available here according to the guys who have tried both)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information