Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So tomorrow i will be getting my PC and some pads in the mail and then monday i will be getting my m105 and m205 along with more pads and some Pinnacle Liquid Souverän Wax. Im just wanting to make sure my process is going to be correct and any other advice would be great

wash

clay

wash

tape with green tape

prime pads with KBM

m105 on orange pad on speed 5 or 6

m205 with gray pad on speed 3 or 4

and then wax with a gray pad or should i use another pad?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel3507

So tomorrow i will be getting my PC and some pads in the mail and then monday i will be getting my m105 and m205 along with more pads and some Pinnacle Liquid Souverän Wax. Im just wanting to make sure my process is going to be correct and any other advice would be great

wash

clay

wash

tape with green tape

prime pads with KBM

m105 on orange pad on speed 5 or 6

m205 with gray pad on speed 3 or 4

and then wax with a gray pad or should i use another pad?

That system should work fine, best thing to do is a Test Spot to a small section before tackling the entire car.

Make sure you can make one small area look good with your products, process and technique before tackling the entire car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Daniel3507- You might find the jump from M105/orange to M205/gray to be a bit too big, in which case M205 on a polishing pad should bridge the gap just fine (follow up with the M205/gray for a nice final finish).

Also, I use higher speeds with the M205, even with 4" pads.

I`d be very careful to wipe off all the M105 residue, and to do so before it dries. I like to spritz the surface with a bit of #34 before doing this, it seems to help avoid micromarring from the residual M105 abrasives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to hijack, but I have a question that doesn`t seem to warrant its own thread....

When using 205, does anyone else have trouble leaving a blob of 205 on the paint every time you shut the PC off? After turning the switch off, the machine starts to slow down. As it`s slowing down, more and more 205 is left laying on the paint (from the middle of the pad). Before the machine slows down enough to safely lift the pad off the paint without splattering product everywhere, enough 205 is left laying on the paint to really goober up a mf towel.

I don`t have this *problem* (not really a problem, more of an annoyance) with the 105 or the any other product. Just the 205.

Post Thanks / Like
    03F250- I can`t say that I`ve had that problem :think:

Maybe you`re using too much product. I sometimes think that people are misunderstanding the KBM-style priming and using way too much product; M205 goes a pretty long way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured that. Must be "over-priming" the pad. 205 definitely goes further than 105, and any of the few other products I`ve used for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Daniel3507- You might find the jump from M105/orange to M205/gray to be a bit too big, in which case M205 on a polishing pad should bridge the gap just fine (follow up with the M205/gray for a nice final finish).

Also, I use higher speeds with the M205, even with 4" pads.

I`d be very careful to wipe off all the M105 residue, and to do so before it dries. I like to spritz the surface with a bit of #34 before doing this, it seems to help avoid micromarring from the residual M105 abrasives.

i dont have any #34 so would an IPA wipe down after M105 and then after the M205 suffice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel3507
    i dont have any #34 so would an IPA wipe down after M105 and then after the M205 suffice?

The IPA will help remove the oils but it won`t help with the micromarring the way the #34 (with its lubricants) would.

Said micromarring might not even be an issue, and the M205 oughta clear it up (though it might require a somewhat aggressive pad in some cases), so don`t worry about it *too* much. But if your local autobody/supply place has some #34 I`d pick up a bottle.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doing a Test Spot with your entire process to one small area will tell you a lot. Check your results after only working on one small area and make sure you can make one small area look GREAT before going over the entire car.

If you run into problems with the results from your test spot then post back here what you`re seeing and we`ll help you tweak your technique or switch to a different product until you get great results in your test spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds good to me. im pretty excited about this. product will be here monday and will get started that night and then hopefully finish up before work tuesday. i will be sure and do a test spot in the bed of the truck before i tackle the entire thing.;

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    .. Check your results after only working on one small area and make sure you can make one small area look GREAT before going over the entire car...

Boy-oh-boy, is *that* great advice :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    alright got it washed, clayed, wiped down with IPA and taped it all off. now i just have to wait on UPS to finally deliver my polishes. I hate that UPS doesnt come till the evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    got my stuff in and went out to start polishing to find that the PC i bought from a forum member is probably broken. anytime i would put slight pressure on it the thing would pretty much stop even at higher speeds so i had to barely even touch it to the surface and it would sling everywhere. i tried using it still but then the damn thing got so hot that it was burning my hand and then it actually started to smoke. was i doing it wrong to make it work like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    .....not likely. Sounds like you bought defective polisher. What size pads were you using? By the sound of it, I doubt you were putting enough load on it to make it burn up like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    they were 5.5" pads. i would barely put pressure on it before it would stop. and on a side note, i was surprised at how fast the M105 dries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information