Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

I`ve read that many of you feel it`s much easier to correct swirls on paint using 4" pads with a PC. I will need to buy some pads and a different backing plate to do this. I`m wondering if you use a more abrasive polish/pad for correcting, then use a finishing polish, do you need to use a 4" pad for the finishing polish as well or can you go back to the 5.5 or 6" pads?

Are there any warnings, anything different you need to do with the PC when using the 4" as opposed to the larger pads?

Just want to make sure I order all the stuff I need and know what I`m doing. Thanks! :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, obviously you`ll need a smaller backing plate. The only other thing I would mention here is that the PC is much more difficult to balance with 4" pads. What I mean is, with a narrower pad, you need to be extra careful when applying pressure to the machine as its spinning.

It`s difficult to explain in text, but you`ll know exactly what I`m talking about once you start polishing. It will feel like the pad might slip out from underneath the machine if you put too much pressure on it, or don`t push directly downward on the pad.

Autogeek sells a 4" pad kit that comes with everything you need for about $50. I got it and I`m very happy with it. Though I will mention that I only use 4" pads for really tight areas or particularly marred spots. I wouldn`t do a whole panel with it, let alone the whole car. If I felt something like that was necessary, I would either 1) use a stronger polisher (Flex or rotary), 2) Do two polishing passes with a 5.5" pad, or 3) just live with the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the smaller pads for the follow-ups, basically I use them for any correction via PC. But I suppose YMMV as others seem very happy with the 5.5" pads :nixweiss

I like speed 4.5-5 for the 4" pads instead of 6, which sorta surprised me as I`m usually all in favor of higher speeds.

Other people seem to have a fair number of issues with the backing plates and pads, but I never have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both for the feedback and advice! And I appreciate the warning about balancing the PC. I never thought of that!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you switch to the edge system and cyclo pads then you do not have to worry as much about the balencing issue. I use the edge 4 inch pads and are very satisfied.
    Bo Davenport

Evolution Detail

Elizabeth City NC

Post Thanks / Like
    The edge system is a great way to ensure proper centering. If you take your time, you shouldnt have an issue with proper pad centering with 4" pads, but you may find the Edge system easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    But I suppose YMMV have...

Acc, you use this "YMMV" in about every post nowadays. What in the world does it mean?

Your method may vary?

Yo momma may vanish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not get the LC 3.5" backing plate. Broke 2, put a small ding in my headlight.

Post Thanks / Like
    ymmv=Your mileage may vary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    Do not get the LC 3.5" backing plate. Broke 2, put a small ding in my headlight.

What about this one:

Buff & Shine 3.5" Velcro Backing Plate

I ordered it but have not received it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsoto87
    ymmv=Your mileage may vary

Actually I liked "yo momma may vanish" a lot better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rlarsen462
    What about this one:

Buff & Shine 3.5" Velcro Backing Plate

I ordered it but have not received it yet.
    Looks smiliar to the LC bp, 3 rivets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    Looks smiliar to the LC bp, 3 rivets.

Great. So assuming it`s garbage, what should I be using? I haven`t see one other than that one and the LC one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rlarsen462
    Great. So assuming it`s garbage, what should I be using? I haven`t see one other than that one and the LC one.
    Nor have I, so I went to a rotary bp with an adapter. I also dumped my LC 5" bp and went with a 3m bp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, now I`m worried about using this one, if it snaps off under pressure while I`m doing the Audi and I drive the PC into the panel, I`m going to kill myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually have that velcro 3.5" bp and haven`t had a problem. I`m not sure if they have corrected the problem or if it is a new thing. I`ve used it for quite a bit and no problems yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information