Post Thanks / Like
    My order from DI came in today and I bought Menz SIP and 106, an LC PFW, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Black (one of each).

If I do a majority of the buffing with the orange and SIP will it clean up okay with 106 and the green or should I go with the black? I`ll be dealing with relatively soft paint. I`m using a Griot`s buffer which is very similar to the PC.

I know I need to order some 85RD and an LC White along with the Makita.

:thx
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Harbor Gray

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the paint is really truly soft try 106 on white(when you get it) or black just to see where you get. Green 106 might need to be your starting point until you get your white pad BUT you can go from 106 on green to (choice finishing polish- even maybe 106 again) on black and finish up very nicely

A common progression down for a lot of people is SIP on orange down to 106 on white. Your orange and green are going to act similar as far as cut, the orange may leave it a bit hazy(so might green) and for what its worth to you some soft paints can hologram with SIP. Again if its soft paint you might haze it during your correction with SIP on orange.

Many including myself use 106 on green or white as a one step on both ROB/DA machines and on a rotary

What kind of car are you working on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do yourself a favor, and return the yellow pad. Exchange it for either another orange, or (my preference, because I do a lot of jeweling) another black.

Remember that once you do the initial correcting, your cutting pads should collect dust. You`ll maintain the finish with your black pads and finishing polish.

But don`t let that yellow pad any where near your car.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote to get rid of the yellow pad. I have one, it will do more damage than good most times. Orange is perfect for cutting with PC on med/hard paint. On soft paint white is probably better, so I would try your green pad first. On Honda soft paint I can clean up light swirls with a white pad and OP by rotary and PC, the PC just takes longer and maybe an extra pass.

With a rotary I very rarely use orange, as PFW is much easier to control and cuts better. Most work for *my* vehicles consists of 1-2 complete passes of OP on a 6.5" white pad to correct them (usually needed after 2-4 years) followed by 3m UF on a lc blue to really bring out gloss and take care of any light trails left by the white pad.

Also, what size PFW pad did you get? I ask because you really shouldn`t use any PFW pad bigger than the 3.5-4" pad with the PC.
    :woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Do yourself a favor, and return the yellow pad. Exchange it for either another orange, or (my preference, because I do a lot of jeweling) another black.

Remember that once you do the initial correcting, your cutting pads should collect dust. You`ll maintain the finish with your black pads and finishing polish.

But don`t let that yellow pad any where near your car.

I said the same thing, but remember that it does still have it`s use when a lot more experience has been gained. They`re more effective with a PC or a Flex, but they`re not very safe with a rotary. They get hot, even though they cut really well.

Quote Originally Posted by getcha
    Your orange and green are going to act similar as far as cut

No, the soft green is much less dense. The newer, "course" green pads, so I hear, is closer to white.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDinPDX
    My order from DI came in today and I bought Menz SIP and 106, an LC PFW, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Black (one of each).

If I do a majority of the buffing with the orange and SIP will it clean up okay with 106 and the green or should I go with the black? I`ll be dealing with relatively soft paint. I`m using a Griot`s buffer which is very similar to the PC.

I know I need to order some 85RD and an LC White along with the Makita.

:thx

It`s no wonder that orange pad you borrowed was destroyed. You`ve got to buy a lot more pads. Not only will they wear out ultra fast, but you will get particles embedded in them and leave things you won`t want to leave. This is particularly true with a rotary. Buy a lot more orange and white, as they typically see the most wear in my experience. Well, with the exception of my wool pads, which tend to wear out the fastest.
    Portland, OR

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your help everybody.

Just placed an order for some Menz 85RD, another orange pad, two white pads and a blue.
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Harbor Gray

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

Thread Information