Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UDM Died - Vent

Post Thanks / Like
    My UDM died on me last night. I bought the thing used last fall and have only used it to do my truck, then our minivan, and last night struggled to finish my boat.

If I banged it around, it would come back to life. Towards the end, if I applied a lot of pressure as if I were trying to bend it where the case is split, it would keep running, but it took a LOT of pressure to do this. It started out just slowing down on its own as if I turned the speed down, but over an hour`s time it got to the point where it wouldn`t run at all if I didn`t keep trying to break it in half where the case is split.

Don`t know if I should tear it apart or just throw it on the shelf and get a 3401. Anybody else ever have an issue like this? Can I use my 4" pads with the flex? I just ordered a pile of new ones!

Post Thanks / Like
    My UDM died less than a year after I purchased it new. Threw the thing in the trash and didn`t look back. I suggest checking out the new PC 7424xp. For roughly $125, it`s a much better value than the Flex ($299) considering what you`d be working on. Plus, it comes with a 3-year warranty.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if anyone who had a UDM die outside of warranty contact Perfect Shine about repair parts. I read someone say that most are simple issues: switch, brushes, etc. Both very easy to repair...why toss a $150 pc of equipment in the trash....

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll take it broken, don`t throw it away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most likely it needs new brushes, you can even replace them yourself.

(I had exactly the same problem with rotary, and after replacing brushes it works like new)
    Domas Designs Logo Design, Graphic Design, Business Card/Letterhead design, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brushes shouldn`t be too difficult to replace. I`ll tear into it and see how they look.

Post Thanks / Like
    For UDM warranty issues and out of warranty issues please go to this UDM Warranty Link and fill out the information. If your are needing parts, just state that in the information about what is wrong.

We will take care of any warranty replacements as soon as your email comes in and for out of warranty issues, we will let you know what your options are as soon as possible.

Lynn
    Lynn Matthews
    The Car Girl

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a new PC7424 for $100..
    GLENN | BLACK PLEASE

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like it`s time for a Flex??

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one die. I took it apart and I don`t know what you guys call it. but there are like two magnets kinda around the copper spool. Hopefully that makes sense. Those two magnets broke apart. I talked to Lynn who was a super person to deal with. I think my UDm had like a week left out of the one year warranty or was about a week over the limit. Needless to say they sent me a brand new one... back and backing plates and everything. THat was truly AWESOME. AS of a few weeks back, I could tell by the sound of the UDM, it was making a weird noise. Also the speed would not stay on say 6 for along period of time. It seemed that once it heated up it would automatically go to speed 5. I know that sounds weird. So I had some arosol silicone and some WD40. I took off the backing plate and gave a few squirts anywhere i thought I could get it to go in. I also noticed there are barrings located were the exhaust air comes out of. There is actually two there. I used the little red extension tube that usually comes with WD40, and i also gave a few squirts on both of those as well. Just beware once you spray all those places, do not look at the UDM close to you eyes. The excess of what you sprayed will come out. But needless to say it spins free and runs great once again. Just thought I would let people know about what I did in case anybody finds there UDM not up to par. I guess it is not a bad idea to spray in those places every now and then. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have over 500 hours on my UDM and it is still working flawlessly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with other posters, that it was probably brushes wearing out.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have ANY problem with your UDM, contact Lynn. Their customer service is second to none.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did contact lynn. If they`re not too expensive, I`ll just order the brushes (magnets, as a previous poster referred to them).

I suppose I should just rip into it to be sure first though.

Do you get at the brushes by removing the rotating head? I didn`t see a way at them from the backside the other day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I figured out what was wrong with mine, I just called Lynn, and was just planning one ordering the parts needed. And like Green Dimnd said. There service is second to none. I really did not think I would have a new one shipped to me that fast or I guess I never thought they would just send me a new one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information