Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, Im about to polish a buddies 86 VW Jetta that has single stage red paint. I was gonna use my makita along with the menzerna IP and FP to bring out the shine in the car. I`ve never done a single stage before and was wondering if I can even use these products or will my pads get ruined along with his paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can treat SS similar to doing CC. You will get a lot of paint transfer so you just have to clean the pads often is all. I have done two cars that were SS red, I found that Meg`s UC and M205 worked awesome.

Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    I was gonna use the Menzerna Combo as stated before along with my Makita Rotary. Will I be able to clean my pads after im done with the paint? I really dont wanna replace these 3M pads that I bought last week. Thanks for the response Walrus!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah you will be able to clean up the pads. Due to so much paint transfer, I had to clean pads after each panel or so. Luckily I had several pads for my G110. My white pads now have just a slight tint of red to them but it doesn`t affect the performance or anything. They still work fine on other colors and CC.

Be sure to post some pics!

Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    Try applying some Meg`s #7 glaze or Mother`s S&G (very thin layer) after you are done polishing up the surface. I think you`ll be impressed. Mother`s NF Carnauba will then look very nice over the glazed surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoudyL
    Try applying some Meg`s #7 glaze or Mother`s S&G (very thin layer) after you are done polishing up the surface. I think you`ll be impressed. Mother`s NF Carnauba will then look very nice over the glazed surface.

I think megs no.7 is available localy. Do you suggest I apply this with hand or do I need to use my rotary?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker
    I think megs no.7 is available localy. Do you suggest I apply this with hand or do I need to use my rotary?

By hand, and very very thin layer, it`s basicly mineral oil that soaks into the paint making it look very wet, and then you put a pure wax on top of it to preserve the look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if the pads are permanently stained from pigment transfer, it shouldn`t cause any problems. I can`t remember ever using a red-stained pad on a white car or somesuch, but I bet I did it back in the day `cause I`d remember any problems.

And yeah, GoudyL`s right on the money about #7 being a nice penultimate product for single stage. If you really want to apply this glaze step via rotary (I wouldn`t, but that `s just me), I`d use their #3 instead as it`s formulated for that. Actually, I find #3 more user-friendly than #7 anyhow (even by hand) but #5 is the easiest of all. #7 looks the best though.

See if you can find Mike Phillips`s write-up about how to use #7 if you`re not familiar with it. It does have a bit of a learning curve.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok so just to review everything here-

im gonna go over the car with menz IP+FP

Then im gonna hit it with Megs No.7 by hand, finally some good wax on top and done. Or should I just do No.7 and no menzerna, wasn`t too sure what you guys were trying to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok so just to review everything here-

im gonna go over the car with menz IP+FP

Then im gonna hit it with Megs No.7 by hand, finally some good wax on top and done. Or should I just do No.7 and no menzerna, wasn`t too sure what you guys were trying to say.

0. Wash car, clay.

1. If the car`s paint is oxidised, then go lightly over the car with the IP.

2. Do the whole car with FP.

3. Lightly apply Meg`s #7 glaze to moisten the paint, and wipe it off etc.

4. Apply a pure wax (no abrasives) to seal in the glaze.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok thanks, his paint is pretty beat theres no doubt about that. now im curious to see how this no.7 would work on my black car......

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a red single stage MR2 and polishing that paint permanently stained my pads. It doesn`t affect their life but just note that they will be stained. I dedicated the pads to the polish and vehicle so it never made me worry. I have not used those stained pads on a white car so I can`t honestly say whether it will cause any color transfer so be careful if you do.

Also, I am a long time user of #7 on that MR2. That is a great elixir for tired and aging single stage paint along with a warm carnauba. #7 extended the life of that drying paint for a few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll notice the paint transfer more than you do when polishing clear coat because clear coat is, yup you guessed it, clear haha. After you`re done, make sure you clean the pads very well as I`ve had a couple pads that weren`t completely cleaned start staining the clear on a white car I detailed after a red ss Porsche. Dumb mistake on my part but it was an easy fix... even so, should be avoided easily.

Oh and please read Mike`s info about #7 because I can almost guarantee you`ll be back on here searching or asking what`s wrong if you don`t follow those specific instructions. It`s a bit hard to get at first, but once you use it right it looks awesome!
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    How can I wash my pads in order to remove the red from my pads, any specific instructions?

Post Thanks / Like
    How can I wash my pads in order to remove the red from my pads, any specific instructions?

Red won`t come out all the way as it will stain some of the foam, just make sure you wash them asap after polishing so it doesn`t dry up too much and definitely don`t use them again on another car without cleaning
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information