Post Thanks / Like
    I`m the newb. The Supra is my car. I have a PC that I`ve never used yet.

Is this a complete disaster waiting to happen? I`ve been a lurker here for a while and read a lot of threads which lead me to believe that in 93, the Supra was done with a very soft single-stage paint. So in your better-qualified opinions, am I going to end up needing a respray if I attempt to correct this car as my first attempt?:buffing:

If this is something that a newb can safely do, any tips/pointers for tackling a very soft paint? I know that I need to use the lightest cut I can get away with and I`ve read a couple threads on how to safely use the PC but I guess I`m nervous attacking my baby. :nervous2:
    ---

"There is no love in fear"

"Contrary to popular belief, the universe is made up entirely of two substances. Magic and Bull$h1t."

Post Thanks / Like
    How long have you owned it? Lots of swirls/scratches?

If you do attempt it I would start at a relatively low speed with a polishing pad and a finishing pad to be safe. However, keep in mind I`m just an amateur also, I just got this info from reading here. I also wouldn`t use much pressure or stay on one spot for too long.

You should post some pics

Also, my VR4 is a single stage red (or else someone buffed all the clear off haha) so welcome to the club lol

Post Thanks / Like
    What color is your car? The only color a Supra came in single stage is black. A PC will not harm your car at all, so don`t be worried. Only if your clear is almost gone, and I`m talking almost ALL gone, will you have any problems with the outcome.

Decide between orange or white pad, depending on the cut you want, and go from there, use speed 5 or 6 for correction. Also check out the Kevin Brown method if your car is really swirled and scratched up.

The PC is so easy to use, i don`t even bother taping up a car much when doing everything by PC, it`s just not dangerous like a rotary is, so jump in there and attack it.

BTW post some pics up

Post Thanks / Like

That`s my fat girl. She`s black so yeah... single stage ftw. The driver side B-pillar has what looks like a burn through the paint or something. the paint there is translucent and you can see through to the pale yellow primer. I`ve had the car about a year but she`s 16 years old now. That burn makes me think she`s been abused with a rotary before. I`ll post up some recent/current pics later today if all goes well but it`s comforting to hear that I`ve got fairly good chances of surviving this.

I need to fill in rock chips on the hood and mirrors before I jump onto polishing that but I think I`m gonna start with the roof to get a feel for it.
    ---

"Contrary to popular belief, the universe is made up entirely of two substances. Magic and Bull$h1t."

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet car. Cool rims too.

If you are really concerned about the paint being too thin, invest in a paint thickness guage so you can really have a good idea of what you have to work with. The Highline is like $200. Way less than a re-paint.

OR

Just start off with a white pad and something like SwirlX or M205 and see what results you get. SS paint is very easy to work with in my limited experience. Easy to get great results.

Here is a 96 4Runner I did. The 2nd car I ever polished.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...d-4runner.html

Good luck!

Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    yarg.

So she`s still nekkid in my garage... I`ve been trying to decide how to go about this.

Here`s the story so far...

She`s REALLY dirty so I washed her by hand with Meg`s gold class.

After wash and clay bar facial she looks better from ten feet away but actually looks worse up close...

As you can see, major swirls and some heavy pitting/chipping here and there.

So is this something salvageable? or is this at the stage where a respray is the only option?

As you can see, there are some holes through the paint and what looks like some orange peel going on too.

Here is the burn through on the Driver side C pillar..

This is hard to see in the picture but this is a line of pits in the paint.

*** is this? Orange peel? worse?

:think: How much do you think I can get back from her?

Edit- whole bundle of images in higher res is here:
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks pretty rough, the burn is definitely going to have to be repainedt. That bumper in the last picture almost looks like a repaint and they didnt finish polishing after wetsanding maybe?
    Presidential Automotive Detailing - Tampa, FL - Click To See our latest Details and Customer Reviews

Follow Us! - Become A Fan Of Presidential Automotive Detailing On Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think your best bet is to sell my your supra ASAP.

Don`t worry, I`ll handle it from here.

Post Thanks / Like
    30 grand and she`s yours.
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll be very satisfied with your results and there`s really nothing to worry about when using the PC... I`d recommend something like M80 and a white 5.5" pad... use speed 5 and/or 6 and you should correct the ss paint very well.

Make sure you post your results. Nice car btw.
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Lecc, I`ll do some shopping around and see what I can hunt down.

Not seeing a white pad from Meg`s... more info?
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yamichi
    Thanks, Lecc, I`ll do some shopping around and see what I can hunt down.

Not seeing a white pad from Meg`s... more info?

Lake country white pad.
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    ah disco.

thanks!

Any reason for LC vs Megs pads?
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yamichi
    ah disco.

thanks!

Any reason for LC vs Megs pads?

I haven`t tried the new Meg`s pads, specifically the black one... with that said, the old Meg`s pads, ime, are in between the LC pads, in that, for example, order from most aggressive to least aggressive is LC orange, Meg`s 8006, LC white, Meg`s 9006, LC black... the reason I suggested LC white is more because Meg`s doesn`t make pads smaller than 6.5" and it`s tough to get good correction from those as opposed to 5.5" pads, plus white finishes down better than the 8006 pad, especially on the PC.

Hope that makes sense
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely. I`ve got a lot to learn but that`s useful, helpful info and I appreciate that.
    ---

Thread Information