Thread: Lighting

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone please provide a link to a light set-up I would use with my new PC7424. I have a silver and black honda. I would love it to be able to buy it in a local store(HD, Lowes, Ace,). I tried sears but nothing. I looking in camping and everywhere else. When I asked they said they would have them in the beginning of June.

A link would be great.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    04 cobra mystichrome Sold new home in AZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone own that one personally and have pros and cons?

Also is there anything water proof. Is it stupid b.c the paint correction comes after the wash or should I worry about it being waterproof.

Post Thanks / Like
    31 views and nothing.....

Is it worth being waterproof?

Post Thanks / Like
    Naw. I`ve had 2 or 3 halogens over the last couple years and none have been waterproof. You can get water pretty close to them with no worries - I`ve done washes with halogen illumination, no harm no foul. Just set them off to the side where only a light sprinkle at most will get on them.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick1221- I wouldn`t want to get water on a *hot* halogen light as it might shatter. But I don`t use halogens for illumination during the wash anyhow.

Oh, and on that silver vehicle, you may well find that halogen is only so-so for seeing marring. I do a *LOT* better with incandescent light for that...as I understand it, it has to do with "point-source illumination" and the specific type of contrast it provides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick - your key lighting for working should be a couple of 500w halogens. HOWEVER, you are not going to be able to see all defects in the halogens, so I suggest picking up a Xenon or LED flashlight as well. They will help you spot micromarring and faint hologramming where as the Halogens won`t usually reveal these defects.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s funny because I can see the paint/defects best by far when its completely dark outside. On the horizontal surfaces only, of course. Car in the driveway, under the two regular 100 watt tungsten incandescents that are 6 feet up in our "security" light over the garage. These reveal everything more effortlessly than the halogens, not to mention I don`t go blind trying to inspect the surface under the halogens, or worse yet–in direct sunlight. A weak point source light can be much more revealing than most methods a lot of the time, but not all the time of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    carlsson- That`s a good point you brought up there- you want the point-source illumination to be the *only* light in an otherwise dark environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use regular fluorescents for the main lights that are mounted on the ceiling, the halogens are used to light up the current panel you are working on to see defects and an LED pen for those others you can`t see with the halogens. If the florescents get in the way you can always turn them off. I`ve never seen waterproof halogens used in detailing cars though, and not needed IMO.

Thread Information