Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all your advice/help and posts, I`ve ordered up and received a bunch of detailing supplies along with my new PC7424 -- Scott you sold me on Optimum`s line of products, great stuff. I will be using the new PC for the first time tomorrow on the hood of an 02 Accord (dark blue) to begin with.

As I cleaned the car today, I pondered a couple things...

How do you guys get to all the little nooks & crannies with the PC?

i.e. Mirrors, tight spots within the bumper, etc...

How much product do you use on these smaller areas like mirrors or the strip of paint running up the side of the windshield to the roof?

Seems like you all must be pretty flexible and fit to pull this stuff off!! :buffing:

Please let me know what techniques you use for these small areas or any other tips for a first timer w/ a PC are definitly appreciated.

Cheers!

EDIT: Should add that I only ordered 6.5" pads to start with. This may further impact the problem of small areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, you probably won`t get very good results with 6.5" pads when used with a PC; they are just too big. Get some 4.5" pads, you`ll be glad you did.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    the areas that you can`t get to with a pad you`ll have to do by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    4" pads and anywhere else by hand, it`s the only way really

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Unfortunately, you probably won`t get very good results with 6.5" pads when used with a PC; they are just too big. Get some 4.5" pads, you`ll be glad you did.

a little late for that, and this is the first I`ve read/heard that I won`t get good results w/ 6.5" pads

so these tight spots are mostly done by hand, interesting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolly
    a little late for that, and this is the first I`ve read/heard that I won`t get good results w/ 6.5" pads

so these tight spots are mostly done by hand, interesting

You`ll actually find quite a few places around here that talk about using smaller pads with the PC. Here`s a recent thread that has some good information about pad size with a PC: http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine...01-pc7424.html

As for smaller areas, the PC is kinda hard to use because the polishing footprint of a PC is larger than the pad you use. With a rotary, the smaller four inch pads allow machine polishing of areas you would otherwise have to do by hand.

Some smaller areas (like A pillars) can still be done. Just make sure you tape off the trim before you do it.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Thread Information