Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pc7424

Post Thanks / Like
    Porter Cable 7424 Complete Starter Kit, Porter Cable 7424 buffer, Porter Cable power tools

I bought this from autogeek.

Can someone please direct me to a chart for all of the different pads(cut) that come with that kit. I orders m105 and m205 also that I will be using with it.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick, there`s info on the page in the link you provided that describes what each pad is used for. The gray and the blue foam pads are pretty much the same. The white is a very light polishing pad, and the orange is a light cutting pad. The polishing and cutting pads actually have "bite" to them; they, along with your polish, do abrasive cutting.

The 6.5" pads included in that kit are considered very large to use with a PC. About the only polishes that will *really* work well with a PC and those big pads are M105 and M205.

In order to get good results with other polishes, you`ll need smaller (like 4.5") pads.

Edit: Just MO, but if I were going to get a pc in a kit, I`d get either Optimum Porter Cable 7424 Kit Remove swirl marks and paint flaws or Menzerna kit, 5.5 lake country pads, porter cable menzerna kit, ceramic clear polishing kit, Mercedes polishing kit

But really, I`d stay away from the kits, and get:

A PC

A 3.5" and 5" backing plates

4 4" Orange LC foam pads

4 4" White LC foam pads

4 4" blue/grey/black/or red (they are all pretty much the same)

M105

M205
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I already ordered it about 2 hours ago.

Is a small pad better because it can get into smaller areas?

Is that sufficient to learn on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Even with M105 the large pads simply don`t do the work for me via PC :nixweiss

Nick1214- The PC wasn`t designed to be used as a polisher, it was configured to work as a sander spinning a single sheet of sandpaper. The big heavy pads (wet with product) are just more than it can handle; when you apply pressure it overloads the PC`s ability and causes it to merely "jiggle" instead of doing both of its two motions (you overcome its ability to rotate the pad).

Plus, the effort is being distributed over too large an area.

With 4" pads you can apply pressure without stopping the spinning and the work that`s being done can be quite impressive.

I`m always harping about those "kits". They always seem to come with big pads, which people find ineffective. IMO some vendor oughta just come right out and say that it`s not the optimal PC-polishing setup and sell a kit with 4" pads for correction and larger pads for (only) jobs that don`t require aggressive work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1214
    I already ordered it about 2 hours ago.

Is a small pad better because it can get into smaller areas?

Is that sufficient to learn on?

I bet that if you called them tomorrow morning you could change your order.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone provide me a link to the pads I should be buying.

I think I have the decided on the 7424 already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a Flex 3401 instead. Join the Flex crowd :woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    the pc seems easier to use

what pads should I buy

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    is the pad cleaner and conditioner needed?

Post Thanks / Like
    The conditioner is not needed. There`s many different ways/products you can use to clean your pads. I use DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator was created to provide detailers with a fast and effective way to clean pads without soapy residue or foamy degreasers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    The conditioner is not needed. There`s many different ways/products you can use to clean your pads. I use DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator was created to provide detailers with a fast and effective way to clean pads without soapy residue or foamy degreasers.

that`s the stuff i use. makes pad cleaning easy. have you tried it in the universal pad washer system yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wascallyrabbit
    that`s the stuff i use. makes pad cleaning easy. have you tried it in the universal pad washer system yet?

No, but I`ve been drooling over that pad washer for a long time. Is it Father`s Day yet???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Even with M105 the large pads simply don`t do the work for me via PC :nixweiss

Nick1214- The PC wasn`t designed to be used as a polisher, it was configured to work as a sander spinning a single sheet of sandpaper. The big heavy pads (wet with product) are just more than it can handle; when you apply pressure it overloads the PC`s ability and causes it to merely "jiggle" instead of doing both of its two motions (you overcome its ability to rotate the pad).

Plus, the effort is being distributed over too large an area.

With 4" pads you can apply pressure without stopping the spinning and the work that`s being done can be quite impressive.

I`m always harping about those "kits". They always seem to come with big pads, which people find ineffective. IMO some vendor oughta just come right out and say that it`s not the optimal PC-polishing setup and sell a kit with 4" pads for correction and larger pads for (only) jobs that don`t require aggressive work.

Whats the best size backing plate to use with the 4" pads? I have one of those kits with the 5" plates and have been using the 6.5" Lake Country CCS pads but as you said the PC7424 doesn`t seem to be able to handle it and does stop spinning with moderate pressure. I am interested to see if there is any difference in the final outcome with 4" pads. By the way, the products I have been using with 7424 are Z-PC and Z-AIO and I also used it for Z-2 and Z-5 the last couple of coats I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with what`s already been said. I bought a "kit" that included the 7424, 6.5" pads and PB products. i wasn`t able to achieve much if any correction with them, though it was my first time. i`m planning on picking up the 4.5" pads and 105.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information