Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I see plenty of discussion on the "mid tier" buffers/polishers but...

I would like to purchase a cheap buffer/polisher in the under $50 range.

I am sure there are many of you who would not consider anything less than at least a PC 7424 but my budget does not allow for that. I am also a nube to detailing and have never used a buffer before so for now I like the fact that the cheap ones will stall out if you press too hard so as to not ruin your paint. While more experienced detailers may see that as a sign of a cheap tool, I see it as a safety measure for inexperienced potential ID-10-Ts like myself.

Feel free to correct me if I am just being misled by marketing hype due to my total lack of knowledge of buffers. But please dont forget my price range and experience level is the real limiting factor here.

I have seen buffers from Craftsman, B&D, Turtle Wax [waxcoa], etc. for under $40. Some are 10 inch and some are 6 inch.

Does anyone know which brand/model would be best?

Can anyone tell me which size, 10 inch or 6 inch would be best? I would think 6 inch would be better in the curves but 10 inch would cover more area in less time. I am wondering if that is the only diff or does one give a better result than the other?

Lastly, will these cheap buffers do an acceptable waxing job or am I better off just doing it by hand (which in my case gives cr@ppy results) until, one day, possibly years from now, I might be able to actually afford a better buffer?

Thanks
    Live the Questions - The Answers will follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a used high quality one. Buying something so cheap isn`t going to do you or anyone your working for any good at all. ebay and craigslist have them all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your `cr@ppy` results aren`t coming from your hand waxing jobs... they are from not properly prepping the paint surface for the wax. To get the best results you`ll have to polish the paint with an abrasive polish, preferably with a machine. The sub $50 beginner buffers don`t have ample power to break down the polishes and your results wouldn`t be much better than it is now. There are a few rotary polishers under $50 but inexperience with that could lead to paint or trim damage down the road.

Save up enough money to get a decent buffer (PC7434, Megs buffer) and decent polishes. Once you get experience, offer a few details to your family or friends and quickly you`ll have your money back ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheap tools are never a bargain. You will likely be dissatisfied with your results, and may wind up buying the more expensive tool anyway, so it will cost you more not to start out that way. I have found myself fall victim to this false economy when trying to control the scale of an investment...but there is no economy if you can`t get the job done. If you truly can`t afford a PC, then as budman3 suggests, you are in luck, because there are several new products which apparently allow you to get great results by hand. These would be Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound and Swirl-X, both of which are available for under $8 at Wal-Mart.

Post Thanks / Like
    You get what you pay for! I do not think you will be happy with a cheap one. I don`t think you can find a PC for the amount you are willing to spend. I understand the fact that you are a newbie. My sugesstion is to go to Harbor Freight, but their rotory,get the Edge attachment and pads. The buffer is a variable speed ,so this can help you with your learning curve. I would go with the 6" pads. I use my buffers for correction. I wax by hand. If you are just wanting to wax your ride,you can do that by hand. If on the other hand you have swirls ,scratches , micro marring then you need a buffer. Stay tuned for more info. Waxing with a buffer will not correct the finish. It may hide the flaws and imperfections,but after a rain or wash they`ll be back. Also check out AutoGeek for detailing tips.

This is just my opinion!

Post Thanks / Like
    all the other cheaper orbital buffers (walmart, autozone, etc) do not have enough power to remove defects and are worthless IMO. buy a PC, it will be money well spent...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    Buy a used high quality one. Buying something so cheap isn`t going to do you or anyone your working for any good at all. ebay and craigslist have them all the time.

The PC is worth the money, mine was just over $100 brand new. Check online, or go the ebay/craigslist route. You will not be disappointed.
    2004 BMW X5 - Mine

2002 BMW 325xi - Hers

Post Thanks / Like
    keep your eyes peeled I got my PC 7424 for 28 bucks on sale at lowes.
    Its not called DETAILing for nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Some guys have had pretty good luck with the Harbor Freight rotary.. that is, if you`re looking for a rotary and not a DA. It seems like they have it on sale for 20 bucks about every other month or so.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    You`d be better off working by hand than a cheap buffer.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    You can afford a new Mustang GT but can`t dish out $110 for a PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Walmart sells a $15 ROB that`s not bad at all.

Comes with a wool,microfiber and a foam pad.

I`ve been able to do some minor corrections with it and it`s great when used within it`s means.

Here`s 3 cars I did with it:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...-56k-naah.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...56k-maybe.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...ian-black.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I live and die on EBAY, you can buy a used one for less, then if you ever upgrade, put it back on EBAY and get most of your money back.

My Flex rotary is on Ebay right now and it`s still under $10

(shameless plug)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for info guys.

As for not having money for a good buffer after getting Mustang GT - thats kinda the reason I dont have any money

No offense to anyone but I dont usually have good luck buying used stuff so I try to avoid it

As for the cheap buffers not being up to par - it is pretty much what I figured which is why I decided to get opinions before buying.

I might try for a higher end unit after I get my tax refund. What is the opinion on the PC Ultimate Detailing Machine UDM-1000 at $129? Its dual action.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to post twice but I just happened onto a thread that said the udm-1000 is actually a pc 7424. Is that correct? I ask because I can get the pc 7424 locally with an extra counterweight (dont know yet the signifigance of that) for $100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information