Post Thanks / Like
    alright saturday i will lose my pc, smr, and clay virginity.

please let me know if i should change up the game plan

1. wash with dawn

2 clay with mothers clay bar

3 wash with gold class

4 polish 3m smr with pc and yellow pad?

5 wax with gold class using pc and grey pad. do you wax untill it almost buffs out like with the smr, for this step?

and i know that these arent the best products but, this is just an experiment if i like using the pc i will be ordering black fire, if i dont like using the pc i will be ordering zaino. i just want to see how it feels before i shell out my 80 bucks for the good stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Your plan looks good to me.:up

No need to buff the GC that long, just apply thin coats.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    Two tips:

(1) Buff out the SMR until its almost gone. You should just see the slightest haze left on the paint. Remove with a MF. And don`t be afarid to work the SMR in several directions to remove swirls. SMR is pretty safe stuff so you can press down a bit at the start of buffing then back off the pressure as the SMR works into the paint.

(2) After applying the GC, let it set up for a few minutes. I believe Carguy lets it setup for 30 minutes or so. You may want to search out his GC comments here; I think he has the most experience with GC.

Good luck. And post pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to do step 4, then step 3 is really unecessary.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to have to agree that you can skip step 3 if you are going to polish with SMR. The SMR will remove the clay residue.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    alright my pads arrived today, but i did not get off untill midnight but i could not resist. i washed just the hood and fenders-too cold to do whole car. and followed the above direction

the result

i love the reflection

it did not remove all the swirls, so on saturday i will try it again with the yellow pad and the smr, should i follow with the white pad and smr?

Post Thanks / Like

whats the purpose of 2 inch thick pads?

I did not order these from PAC. I have a local detail shop Ive been buying pads from for years . Anyway they sent me the wrong size because the other 1 inch pads were on back order .

Its a 6"
    pad thats 2 inches thick and I dont want to use it or open it because it looks like it would be hard to use and Im not familiar with it.
    Anyone know why they make them that thick?

Ive been trying to find out who makes these pads as they come in a clear plastic with no name or anything on them ,they are completely blank with absolutely no info on them. She told me she couldnt disclose who makes them . How odd is that ?

Anyway it would save me an hours drive if I could find use for this pad!Thanks if anyone can help!
    I will miss you TID! R.I.P !

Post Thanks / Like
    I met a guy in town using really thick pads and he said it helps to not produce as much heat. I don`t know since I`ve never used them.
    But they weren`t 6" they were smaller diameter

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks MobileJay!

I forgot to mention it also has a hole in the center so I guess that would also let some heat escape too I would imagine .

Maybe I could use then for painted bumpers where heat could potentially be a problem.

maybe I will keep it and try it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    They might be LC because they have a hole for a centering post for rotarys
    Quote Originally Posted by Th0001
    **** dose not mean Blackfire

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiguru View Post
    They might be LC because they have a hole for a centering post for rotarys
    Yes Audi I beleive this is correct, the center hole is designed for rotarys . I would imagine the weight of the rotary will make this pad eisier to handle . Heres 3 pictures of it . And it come with some kind of centering tool as you can see in the second pic.
    http://sharsdetailingpics.shutterfly.com/pictures/93

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the centering tool and the look of the foam I would say that it is a S.M.Arnold pad. Here`s the centering tool that comes with the S.M.Arnold pads that I bought once.

I`m not too sure of what to say about the thickness of the pad but I tried these pads once and never picked them back up. They`re about the same as what Harbor Freight tools carries as far as the cutting ability goes. They soak up polish and are pretty much worthless in my opinion. That is of course the S.M Arnold pads that I have tried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey THANKS Dave !

The centering tool looks about the same as your pic. Im inclined not to open /use it now ! The only thing the owner would tell me is that its a company up in Nothern Ca. that makes them .

I havent had any luck with anything Ive ever bought at Harbor freight. I guess thats why everything is so inexpensive! LOL

But this pad isnt even that cheap , its 9.00 ...so I would hate to waste my money !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    Hey THANKS Dave !

The centering tool looks about the same as your pic. Im inclined not to open /use it now ! The only thing the owner would tell me is that its a company up in Nothern Ca. that makes them .

I havent had any luck with anything Ive ever bought at Harbor freight. I guess thats why everything is so inexpensive! LOL

But this pad isnt even that cheap , its 9.00 ...so I would hate to waste my money !
    You`re welcome. The pads that I bought were the only ones I ever saw with that cardboard centering tool and i got them from some E-tailer in CA. I`d say it would be like the pad that comes on a new PC in terms of it`s feel and worth.

Thread Information