Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to polish aluminum engine parts using my drill, but I don`t know the proper pads or aluminum polish to buy. A friend of mine recommended the Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish for engine parts. He said he used it on his engine and it works fine. Your thoughts guys. Excuse the stupid questions. I am new and eager to learn from you guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I can answer from my particular point of view. I have a Ford LIghtning with several aluminum "Bling" items under the hood. My problem was water spotting. None of the typical "white" metal polishes would take them off (simichrome; Flitz; Mothers; etc). I could get them off using Eagle One, but every time I wahed the truck, the items spotted again. Drove me nuts and very labor intensive.

Finally tried some Diamond Brite Aluminum Truck Box polish (at Lowes, near truck box section). Used a cotton wheel on a drill and also a buffing wheel on a Dremel. That cleaned them up great! At that point, I clear-coated the items to prevent more water spots and it seems to work fine.

You could also try Meguiars #105

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    White polishes cannot really take out things like Water Spots. Believe me, I know.

Try Aluma-Brite Truck Box polish (Lowes), Meguiars #105 (Yes, it`s for paint, but it works great on SS, Aluminum) or Heavy Metal Polish (Green #2).

Then, once you clean it up, seal it with a rattle can of clear coat.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymz
    White polishes cannot really take out things like Water Spots. Believe me, I know.

Try Aluma-Brite Truck Box polish (Lowes), Meguiars #105 (Yes, it`s for paint, but it works great on SS, Aluminum) or Heavy Metal Polish (Green #2).

Then, once you clean it up, seal it with a rattle can of clear coat.

Jim

Jim, thank you for responding. I tried white polishes like Mothers and sure enough your right! I tried it and got slight results after 4 hours! My hand nearly tore off! I will try what you recommended. I`ll look for it this weekend at Lowes. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the best aluminum polish I`ve ever used. I discovered it about 10 years ago and nothing can touch it IMO.....

Available at any Harley dealer.

Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster
    This is the best aluminum polish I`ve ever used. I discovered it about 10 years ago and nothing can touch it IMO.....

really! How much??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel
    Jim, thank you for responding. I tried white polishes like Mothers and sure enough your right! I tried it and got slight results after 4 hours! My hand nearly tore off! I will try what you recommended. I`ll look for it this weekend at Lowes. Thanks again!

try a dremel with a felt pad to help save your hand
    -Jon

Club FLEX:woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fbirdquik6

I have always heard of them, but don`t know anyone who owns one. Your thoughts please & best place to buy them.

Post Thanks / Like
    the dremel is possibly single most useful, and versitile powertool that exists, its a must have for sure. I know sears, and walmart sell them, also harbor freight has a cheap version that i have yet to try, but for ~$15 I may just have to pick one up
    -Jon

Club FLEX:woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    the dremel is possibly single most useful, and versitile powertool that exists, its a must have for sure. I know sears, and walmart sell them, also harbor freight has a cheap version that i have yet to try, but for ~$15 I may just have to pick one up

How much does the Dremel usually go for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Simichrome is awesome for metal that is mostly prepped for a final polis. However, it WILL NOT remove water spots on aluminum billet. Believe me, I tried it several times (well, maybe if you rub for hours, it might).

Try the three I recommended and you`ll be good.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Luster

Post Thanks / Like
    test test test

Post Thanks / Like
    Simichrome won`t remove water spots on aluminum. I know; I tried it many times. Works great as a final polish, though.

Dremels are great! I used a drill and a white cloth wheel to clean up my Al billet engine bling with Heavy Metal grn.

Here`s a link on using Megs #105 on an aluminum truck box (with pics):

M105-A-Thon - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel
    really! How much??

$5.95 a tube... $19.95 per tub.

For water spots you can try One Grand Special Touch, non-abrasive polish... Right on the label it states that it specializes in removing water spots. I`ve always had good luck with it for water spots. Bought it on-line a few years ago. Google it.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there are a scad of different Dremel models these days. Plus, you might find one of the older/discontinued ones very cheap.

I`m a *BIG* fan of using an extended flex-shaft with a drill or a Dremel (or even just an electric motor with the right fitting on it for heavy-duty work). You can hold the shaft like a stylus/pencil and it`s *so* user-friendly. Worth the expense IMO.

Heh heh, if I were buying a Dremel I`d probably splurge on one of the new digital-control models, or maybe their biggest rechargeable one.

But you could look into all the different rotary tools out there...even a big bulky one is handy enough with the flex-shaft. I have an old DuMore grinder (like an antique Dremel on steroids) from around WWII that still works great, so I wouldn`t hesitate to buy something used if it seems to work OK.

It is "Caswell" that sells all the good polishing stuff? Sorry, can`t remember for sure :nixweiss

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information