Post Thanks / Like
    What size pads should I order? I`m a DA rookie and have been reading allot about heavy vibration and different pad sizes. I was just curious if there`s a better size to start with or if a smaller or larger pad would be easier to use. The kit I bought came with a 6" counter weight (along with the 5" counterweight that it comes with) and a 6" hook and loop backing plate. So, I guess I could go with anything from 5" to 6.5" right?

Thanx guys, I did do quite a few searches and that`s what actually made me finally pull the trigger, but allot of the posts were older and I wanted to make sure there wasn`t any newer info out there. Any tips you guys can give me would be great also.

My car`s finish is not in bad shape and for the most part I`ll probably not be using anything more harsh than a medium grit pad and will be using it with Optimum Polish II and DoDo Juice Lime Pre-Wax cleaner (the only other liquid products I have right now are Gliptone Cleaner Wax, Gliptone Clear coat polish, Meguires cleaner wax and Zymol Cleaner wax). I might try it with Klasse AIO on my wife`s Accura too.

Thanx in advance men!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2003 Ford SVT Cobra # 4635
    585 RWHP on pump fuel! Brought to you by Matt Hill Motorsports!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I just ordered a G110, it comes in Monday (I can`t wait!).

From what I understand, the backing plate should be slightly smaller than the pad you`re using to minimize the chance of problems. So with a 6" BP you`d want to use a 7 inch pad, maybe a 6" if you`re super careful.

As far as pad size, from what I`ve read a larger pad is more for doing larger areas, you will be able to do better correction with a smaller pad. I`m planning on getting a 4" or 5" pad for corrections, and sticking with slightly larger pads for normal stuff.

Hopefully one of the more experienced people can chime in and let us know if I`m on the right track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like it makes sense. I think I`ll order some 6.5" pads for the hood, roof and panels and maybe a smaller backer so that I can use smaller pads in smaller areas like edges, bumpers and pillars.

Is there a pad manufacturer that I should be looking into for a rookie? Is one easier to use than another??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit came with some Meguiar`s pads, but it seems like a lot of people like the Lake Country pads. I`ve heard good stuff about the Adam`s pads too.

Post Thanks / Like
    5.5" pads max with the PC. Id also pick up some 4" pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanx for the info Dan. Will the smaller pads keep the vibrations down?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the purchase! You will love it.

It too just got the Megs G110 and really enjoy it.

The smaller pads will help to minimize vibrations, and will also give you a more aggressive cut, because the pressure, etc. is spread over a smaller area. Ive also learned that its important to have the pad as perfectly centered as possible, as that will help cut down on vibrations as well.

I have the new megs 7" pads and so far like them fine. However, the LC pads are usually cheaper and there are more offerings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx for the info, I`m going to order some pads ASAP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolWhip
    Thanx for the info, I`m going to order some pads ASAP.

I`m sure you know this already, but don`t forget to get a smaller backing plate (for a DA) if you`re going to get smaller pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`m actually putting and order together right now. A 5" backer is in the cart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`m actually putting and order together right now. A 5" backer is in the cart.

If you`re getting 4" pads, you`ll need a smaller backing plate. 4" or 3.5".

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, for 4" pads you`ll need a ~3.5" BP (backing plate).

Exceldetail is a good source for the pads and BP (quality products and great customer service).
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t order any pads smaller than 5.5" this time around. I just ordered a few 5.5" pads and a few 6.5" pads since that`s what size backer is coming with my kit. I did order the 5" backer though.

If I find that I need smaller pads, I`ll order them with the backer at that time. I`m trying to keep this all within a budget and don`t want to just order things just for the sake of ordering them. I can get out of control quickly when it comes to stuff like this....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t order any pads smaller than 5.5" this time around. I just ordered a few 5.5" pads and a few 6.5" pads since that`s what size backer is coming with my kit. I did order the 5" backer though.

If I find that I need smaller pads, I`ll order them with the backer at that time. I`m trying to keep this all within a budget and don`t want to just order things just for the sake of ordering them. I can get out of control quickly when it comes to stuff like this....
    i`d like to offer my opinion, if i may...

i`m killing time during commercials during a documentary so forgive the extended information.

i don`t think that you`ll need any 6.5" pads with the PC, period. the 5.5" pads are definately large enough for broad coverage. you limit the PC if you use bigger-than-5.5 pads on it.

the smaller 4" pads are a necessity in my opinion.

in 5.5", i`d recommend getting medium cut pads, light cut pads and a soft finishing pad. 3 colors is all you need to start. i`d get the equivelent pads in 4" too with the addition of a yellow heavy cut pad which is very handy for isolated severe scratch correction.

however, this all can get hairy depending where you order your products from!

detailers domain sells ample 4" flat pads. they are nice, and are of enough assortment that you can get what you need. all their small pads are low profile enough to use for extended time. the problem is they are in NJ, and you are in NJ, which means he`ll charge you sales tax, and that sucks. his shipping rates are also rather expensive too from what i can see.

so, on to autogeek; for instance, autogeek carries ONE type of 4" pad that i feel is suited for extended use during a detail...their closeout orange lake country pads. the rest of their small pads are all "spot buffs". spot buffs have their place. the yellow pad is great for severe scratch/spot correction isolated to a small area, and the green/grey pads are great for final polishing the tight areas that you cut with the flat 4" orange pads. but spotbuffs for extended use are too tall and do not deal well with backing plate heat, especially when using medium cut (orange).

the issues continue, hehe. the problem with their lone 4" flat pad is that the common 3.5" backing plate is a hair too big for the velcro backing on the pad. so, what that means is the edge of the plate will cut into the pad, even under light pressure.

i ended up trimming the plate just a hair to cater to these pads. the plate will now work with any 4" pad, independent of velcro backing size.

a nice alternative on autogeek for 4" pad selection are the cyclo pads. they are all flat, and you can get their green pad for a small pad equivelent of a lake country white pad.

to finish, the weight that came on my machine i`ve yet to change for any pad, and it deals me no additional vibrations with 5.5 or 4". i`m unsure of which it is without getting up and looking. as mentioned, if the pad is centered, and you are handling the machine properly, at higher speeds the machine will be relatively easy to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the flat pads better than the CCS and grooved pads? I had thought it was the opposite way around...

Though I suppose if the idea in correction is to build up heat... dissipation would be counter-productive and so flat pads would work better... Is that the thinking here?

Thread Information