Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileJay
    I heard back from them today, he said just what Custom Detail said. The needle bearing was replaced and lubed and they are sending it back out. My warranty was up 2 months ago but they are doing it under warranty anyway. Thank god, I didn`t want to drop another 300 since I`m planning on buying a rotary.

glad it worked out for you...

Post Thanks / Like
    I presume that Flex is lubing these correctly from the factory now? Any idea what serial number or production date this started with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I presume that Flex is lubing these correctly from the factory now? Any idea what serial number or production date this started with?

i doubt they would have started with a particular batch, and kept track from a certain point on as to which were lubricated (probably did it as they went)... :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Sheesh Al, you think those crazy Germans never heard of configuration control? They seem to have identified it as a problem, so they must know when they realized they were buying an unlubed bearing or that their assembly procedure didn`t include lubing the bearing, so they must know when they started doing it. According to their website they are ISO 9001, so they have procedures for all this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just because you`re ISO certified and have written procedures doesn`t mean that the minions are always going to follow them...:secret

Post Thanks / Like
    Sheesh, you guys are a bunch of naysayers. My Flex has a mfg. date on it, I`m pretty sure they have some idea when they discovered the problem. Heck, Flex is German, I`m sure there must be a reason you guys buy your BMW`s and M-B`s and Audis and Porsches and such...you wouldn`t be telling me that Audi doesn`t follow their procedures...

Post Thanks / Like
    ...you wouldn`t be telling me that Audi doesn`t follow their procedures...

Maybe that`s why the wife`s TT Roadster had so many problems...:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chml17l
    Maybe that`s why the wife`s TT Roadster had so many problems...:nixweiss

Yeah, well, I haven`t been too impressed with "German" engineering of late either, but it was no fair of you guys to shoot me down without a parachute...sheesh. IIRC that TT is made in Poland or Bulgaria or somewhere, but hey, it`s a world economy, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC that TT is made in Poland or Bulgaria or somewhere, but hey, it`s a world economy, right?

Setec, you`re spot on about the assembled in Poland fact. I didn`t even think it would be fair of me to insert some kind of Polish joke about Audi`s being built in Poland, but I think you did it for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, not that there`s anything wrong with German cars being made in Poland (heck we make them here, too :nervous: ), I think it has to do more with the experience level and the degree of ownership of the job the employees take, and of course with the management, etc. Whatever, I`m just hoping that they started greasing those Flex needle bearings before April. Heck, maybe it was just an Octoberfest thing and the bearing greaser had too many dark beers and was too sleepy to put the grease in...

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest that ALL Flex owners/users take the time to do the necessary PM to the machine!

It`s very easy to do

1. remove the backing plate

2. remove the snap ring retaining the large outer bearing

3. using a puller or small slide hammer remove the shaft and bearing as a unit ( if you don`t have the tools you can improvise by using a socket large enough for the bearing to slide into, a 8mm bolt and washer)

4. check to make sure your needle bearings are not already damaged and the inside snap ring is tight on the shaft. if not replace both!

5. lube with a synthetic grease and reassemble, don`t forget the outside snap ring

Depending on how much you use your Flex this should be done at least every 6 months, in my case I`m going to check it once a month until I`m sure it can go longer. And if this doesn`t work, like I said before I will replace the needle bearing with a bronze bushing like other polishers and buffers have.

By the way I have had my Flex 18months, started noticing a lot of vibration and the metal housing getting hot about 6 months ago, took it a part than and lubed it but it was already to late but kept using it. After the repair what a difference! I hope others can learn from my experience and not have this problem or catch it before it`s to late
    Randy Lowe Custom Detail Boat & RV Detailing
    Salem, Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Custom Detail
    I would suggest that ALL Flex owners/users take the time to do the necessary PM to the machine!

It`s very easy to do

1. remove the backing plate

2. remove the snap ring retaining the large outer bearing

3. using a puller or small slide hammer remove the shaft and bearing as a unit ( if you don`t have the tools you can improvise by using a socket large enough for the bearing to slide into, a 8mm bolt and washer)

4. check to make sure your needle bearings are not already damaged and the inside snap ring is tight on the shaft. if not replace both!

5. lube with a synthetic grease and reassemble, don`t forget the outside snap ring

Depending on how much you use your Flex this should be done at least every 6 months, in my case I`m going to check it once a month until I`m sure it can go longer. And if this doesn`t work, like I said before I will replace the needle bearing with a bronze bushing like other polishers and buffers have.

By the way I have had my Flex 18months, started noticing a lot of vibration and the metal housing getting hot about 6 months ago, took it a part than and lubed it but it was already to late but kept using it. After the repair what a difference! I hope others can learn from my experience and not have this problem or catch it before it`s to late

It would be great if you could add a couple pics to the above instructions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Custom Detail
    Depending on how much you use your Flex this should be done at least every 6 months....

You have me totally confused now. I thought this was an issue where the bearing wasn`t getting lubed at the factory? If it really needs to be lubed that often they need to put a zerk on the side of the thing, or at least a hole for a zerk. Shoot, all the cars now have lubed-for-life chassis that you can`t lube if you want to, but my polisher which never sees rain or snow I have to take apart every six months? Now I see why you want to put an Oilite in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow there is always someone who has something to add whether it`s relevant or not!

If I would not have added something about checking or relubrication, you would have jumped all over that asking why not!

At this point no one knows if this is going to be a recurring problem or not and if the lubrication is the answer. It may be the weak point of the Flex VRG and there will be a retro fit fix, just as the first backing plates had a problem.

PM is a very important part in the care of any power or hand tool, When we have down time, equipment PM is the first thing we do, for example I have a Cyclo that has been in service for 23 years and other than new brushes, a on/off switch is the only problem I`ve had, and that kind of service does not come by accident.

If I have time over the weekend I will take some pictures of the process, also in you Flex owners manual there is a breakdown of the parts and part numbers in question
    Randy Lowe Custom Detail Boat & RV Detailing
    Salem, Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for the information Randy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information