Post Thanks / Like
    I have been detailing my cars by hand for the last 15 years or so & I`ve always enjoyed it. But now, I would like to try one of those random orbit polisher/waxers.

I`m planning to spend no more than $60.00. What would the experts recommend in this price range?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    best of luck... Might be able to pick up something on the used marker for that price. I don;t anything that`s worth having will fall into that price range really.

Post Thanks / Like
    you`re going to have to spend at least a $100+ and you should consider a PC (porter cable). check the classifieds every now & then, though purchasing one new would be worth it and money well spent...

here are some videos to check out... Car Detailing videos - How to detail, polish and wax your Car

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy an inexpensive orbital buffer and have a go at it as described in this guide: Using The Orbital To Remove Swirls! - ShowCarDetailing. YMMV

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried the Meguiar`s DA as I could not find much write-up here? I had a chance to turn it on, unfortunately I was not able to put it to paint. It seemed to have a smoother feel to it than the PC. The D handle seems to be a plus, but it is a tad more expensive than the PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you guys think of this little device. Crappy Tire has it on sale:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the same coleman random orbital 6" polisher for more than 10 years. Sure it`s a little slower than a PC and rotary but you can still do complete correction with it, especially when you use the new M105 polish and wool bonnet with it.

Get the 6" because it`s easier to work with and get into tighter areas and more efficient in it`s polish usage, plus bonnets are cheaper. They also have the same motor as the 10" ridiculously huge ones. So that translates to about 2.5 times more power per square inch which means less bogging when you put pressure.

What I`ve been able to gather is that the larger orbit radius of the random orbitals compared to the PC helps to prevent chasing defects down and minimizes holograms.

If you feel like trying out some of the big guns, Harbor Freight has a variable speed 10 amp 7" rotary polisher for only $29.99. Keep in mind there`s a learning curve to rotary, and you can easily burn right through your paint if you`re not careful, and even though I have one I rarely use it except for the most extreme corrections, even then I follow with another polish with the orbital to remove holograms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertydude

If you feel like trying out some of the big guns, Harbor Freight has a variable speed 10 amp 7" rotary polisher for only $29.99. Keep in mind there`s a learning curve to rotary, and you can easily burn right through your paint if you`re not careful, and even though I have one I rarely use it except for the most extreme corrections, even then I follow with another polish with the orbital to remove holograms.

Qwertydude, thanks for the advice. For now, I`ll stick with an entry level. I`m not ready for those big guns yet & I don`t wanna take the risk of doing some damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco Moco
    Has anyone tried the Meguiar`s DA as I could not find much write-up here? I had a chance to turn it on, unfortunately I was not able to put it to paint. It seemed to have a smoother feel to it than the PC. The D handle seems to be a plus, but it is a tad more expensive than the PC.

it has more power than the PC and i wouldn`t hesitate to buy one if i were in the market for a D/A. if money weren`t an issue, i would go with the Flex instead....

Flex XC 3401 VRG vs. Porter Cable 7424

Quote Originally Posted by RamSus
    What do you guys think of this little device. Crappy Tire has it on sale:

it`s not going to do much if any correction, i would pass on it and save the money on something that you really want...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I`ve already shown you can get a full correction with random orbitals. You just have to use more aggressive polishes and bonnets and go slower. M105 and wool will correct even hard paints like PPG aircraft clear. It`s what`s on my dad`s BMW. I posted about it. And showed that it can eliminate swirls and even 2000 girt wet sanding.

Thread Information