Post Thanks / Like
    UPS just arrived with my PFW pads 3.5" for my PC. Can anyone offer any advice on how to use these things? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sum1else
    UPS just arrived with my PFW pads 3.5" for my PC. Can anyone offer any advice on how to use these things? Thanks

Note that you`ll need a ~2.75" backing plate.

Only use the PFW with a fairly aggressive product (I use 1Z Pasta Intensiv).

Clean up the resulting hazing with a milder product on a foam pad, remember that the PFW is an aggressive approach for nasty marring, it`s not gonna leave a very nice finish via PC.

I like speed 5 for smaller pads on the PC, but IME speed 6 works better with PFW than it does with foam.

Clean `em out with a spur/dull screwdriver as needed, wash with woolite/etc. and warm/cool water when finished. Don`t expect a very long service life, IME they wear out kinda fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more question. Do they need to be primed before usage?

I used mine yesterday(it was on rotary 900 and 1200rpm) and I gave them a quick squirt of distilled water before usage.

Used them with Menz P085RD on my Honda Pilot. They seem to work nicely with not much hazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why did you pick PFW and 85RD? Agressive pad/finish polish?

I got one the other day, just waiting for my replacement BP for the flex to tackle my son`s 91 Tercel . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Clean up the resulting hazing with a milder product on a foam pad, remember that the PFW is an aggressive approach for nasty marring, it`s not gonna leave a very nice finish via PC.

Interesting. When I used one on my rotary, it finished up quite nice. Cleaning up with a white pad and a finish polish was optional it finished up so nice. I wonder why a PC and a rotary would finish up so different.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Clean `em out with a spur/dull screwdriver as needed, wash with woolite/etc. and warm/cool water when finished. Don`t expect a very long service life, IME they wear out kinda fast.

Never thought of a dull screw driver. A screw driver won`t chew up pads? I am assuming you are using a flat head rather than a philips head?

Post Thanks / Like
    It has to do with the movement of the pad....perfectly circular on the rotary versus a random circular motion on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by bert31
    Interesting. When I used one on my rotary, it finished up quite nice. Cleaning up with a white pad and a finish polish was optional it finished up so nice. I wonder why a PC and a rotary would finish up so different.

Never thought of a dull screw driver. A screw driver won`t chew up pads? I am assuming you are using a flat head rather than a philips head?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bert31
    Interesting. When I used one on my rotary, it finished up quite nice. Cleaning up with a white pad and a finish polish was optional it finished up so nice. I wonder why a PC and a rotary would finish up so different...

As Eisenhulk suggested, it`s probably a matter of the difference in how the two machines move the pads. I suspect the rotary breaks the product down better and faster whereas the PC moves still-sharp abrasives around, creating hazing that doesn`t end up getting polished out 100%. This reminds me of how Meg`s #83 can finish out *great* via rotary/cutting pad but only finishes OK via PC no matter what pad you use.

Well, it`s kinda half-@$$ed compared to using a real spur, but it was pretty common back in the day (before foam pads, back when a fancy spur woulda probably been giggled at by the grizzled old-timers). Yeah, regular/flat/slotted screwdriver. How badly it chews up the pads depends on how sharp the edges/corners of the screwdriver are. I tried using my spur, but on the little 3.5" pad I honestly preferred using the screwdriver. I wasn`t too worried about chewing the pad up as they have a kinda short working life anyhow.

[Insert: caveat about personal injury potential when using a screwdriver for this..

Quote Originally Posted by titsataki
    One more question. Do they need to be primed before usage?

I don`t *really* know :nixweiss I gave mine a tiny spritz of #34 and primed them with product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I prime my PFW with a shot or two of 50/50 water and Last Touch.

Thread Information