Post Thanks / Like
    I know that it`s not supposed to be a shiny, durable item, but I`m a bit disappointed.

The black part behind the orbiter (the top part of the buffer) is loose and I can shake it, making a clicking noise... I wonder how it will act once I start buffing.

Also, the "on/off" switch is crooked and has scratch marks all over it.

Is this normal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t sound normal to me...I know the plastic part on mine was a bit loose, but nothing to be concerned about. I know for a fact that on mine there were ZERO scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaval
    Doesn`t sound normal to me...I know the plastic part on mine was a bit loose, but nothing to be concerned about. I know for a fact that on mine there were ZERO scratches.

Mine also. I got mine from coastal tools. It still had the factory sealing tape on it.

Did you buy it new and from where?
    Working on becoming an Autopian Driveway Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ where was the factory sealing tape? Do you mean on the box?

Yeah.. I bought it supposedly "new"... Check out pics on the first post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nooboob
    I know that it`s not supposed to be a shiny, durable item, but I`m a bit disappointed.

The black part behind the orbiter (the top part of the buffer) is loose and I can shake it, making a clicking noise... I wonder how it will act once I start buffing.

Also, the "on/off" switch is crooked and has scratch marks all over it.

Is this normal?

Head being a little loose is normal, but the switch, no. Contact the vendor that you bought it from if this bothers you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would question seller and if not happy then would return.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered mine in a set from autogeek and it came the same way: crooked on/off switch and loose black cover. The cover does make some noise when polishing, but I`ve gotten many, many uses out of the machine and am glad to report that it has been absolutely bulletproof and problem free for me.

I wonder why our PC`s came like that though.

Post Thanks / Like
    go to your local hardware store and you can buy a few bolts and put them on each side, and that will prevent it from rattling. bring the handle with you so you can ask them to match up a bolt with the same thread size, etc... i think the on/off switch was just installed just a tad to one side thus making it look a little crooked... as long as it functions and goes up & down with no issues, you should be fine...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by backwoods_lex
    I ordered mine in a set from autogeek and it came the same way: crooked on/off switch and loose black cover. The cover does make some noise when polishing, but I`ve gotten many, many uses out of the machine and am glad to report that it has been absolutely bulletproof and problem free for me.

I wonder why our PC`s came like that though.

glad to know someone else is in the same boat... and it`s still working fine? hm....

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    go to your local hardware store and you can buy a few bolts and put them on each side, and that will prevent it from rattling. bring the handle with you so you can ask them to match up a bolt with the same thread size, etc... i think the on/off switch was just installed just a tad to one side thus making it look a little crooked... as long as it functions and goes up & down with no issues, you should be fine...

I would try to see if it works, but that would mean tearing up the packaging of all the other stuff... and that might void any sort of return I may have in my favor. Turns out that the store I bought it from doesn`t handle any returns from Porter Cable... I have to go directly to the manufacturer myself.

I`ll be damned if they charge me for repairs and extra shipping on their end. Grr.... I knew detailing the ride was going to be hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    they sound used. i have heard of people doing high volume jobs, using multiple machines, then returning them in boxed, "like new" condition.
    mobile auto detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beachcities
    they sound used. i have heard of people doing high volume jobs, using multiple machines, then returning them in boxed, "like new" condition.
    well this is disheartening. actually, this makes perfect sense. manufacturers receive these products back from original buyers for one reason or another (just like you mentioned)... Then they sell them back to different stores for resale. These stores in return can advertise them as "new" or however way they want it. Nowhere in their advertisements do they mention "refurbished" or what-not because by law, I don`t think they`re required to.

if this is the case, Porter Cable needs to get they`re head out of their *** if they think they can continue on like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d also question that unit being used because of the on/off switch. Looks as though there are impact indents in the texture of the switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, and with the risk of sounding like an A-Hole, i`d say let it go. The switch is crooked, yeah so what? It still works. All of our covers are a little loose, with no problems. It`s a tool meant to make a car look good, not to look good itself. It`s going to get banged up anyway....
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was advertised as new and you expect new. This machine looks used based upon the scratched switch. Does any other part of the machine look used?

I had my PC for a very long time, figure around 7 years or so. It has been through countless details and placed on the ground no so gently.

My black cover didn`t rattle until I unscrewed the handle and then my PC exhibited that loose cover syndrome.

Here is a picture of my switch as of 10 minutes ago.

Don`t see much indentations but the switch is not straight back and forth but can be crooked like yours. Don`t mind the dust and cobwebs in it, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t think it would be used and repackaged. I don`t think that I`ve ever seen a clean PC in anyones pics and I know mine got slimed up in polish pretty quickly and has stayed that way since.

Thread Information