Post Thanks / Like
    First post for me– this looks like a forum with many professionals, it seems like I`m in the right place. I need help.

I`m using my 07 F-150 as guinea pig for the Cyclo and Optimum polish the last few weeks. I`ve come up against a problem, and that is what looks like micro circular spiderweb marring caused by the Cyclo.

I`ve used the double precision foam pads-orange with a dime size amount of the OP, and then to the green pad and another dime size amount–this all on one half of the hood of the truck. Even went to the yellow pad on part of the hood. In general, this does seem to have removed some of the more serious pre-existing scratches and marring, but the Cyclo is leaving behind its own marring. I don`t think that I`m going too dry on the pads, as I`ve used the pad conditioner spray pretty liberally.

I seem to have hit somewhat of a wall with this issue, and don`t know how to approach the next step.

Update. I`ve tried another round with the OP again, this time finishing with the white pad, and the photos show this. This last step made next to no improvement, as far as I can tell.

Any help always appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    carlsson- That doesn`t really look like Cyclo-induced hazing to *me* but it`s hard to tell when I`m not stading there watching things happen. The Cylo would be leaving less uniform/circular marring as it oughta be moving in a random orbital pattern.

I`m not a big fan of OP so I can`t help but wonder if it`s part of the issue :think:

I`d try a different, mild product. I`d also watch that you`re not buffing off *dry* polish residue, that could (in some cases) leave the largish circular "swirling" that I see in the pic. You want to buff off most polish residue while it`s still a bit damp.

I`ve finished out some pretty mild paints with the Cyclo, even just using the green pads (all they had back in the day), so I`m confident you`lll get this sorted out. I think I`d be looking at some polish from 1Z myself, or maybe something from Menzerna or 3M.

Post Thanks / Like
    That definitely doesn`t look like marring induced by *any* machine, it just looks like the deeper stuff that OP never got out in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the duplicate thread. I didn`t read the rules when it came to posting photos until 10 posts. Today I see my original post with photos showed up.

I did stop by a Pep Boys today and was surprised to find they had some Meguairs #9 swirl remover 2.0. I went for it this afternoon with orange pads, and long story short, diminished a lot of the swirling that was present in those photos. So I`m encouraged, but not sure how to proceed. Should I go with the orange pads and work the #9 until all swirls are gone? Should I change up to a green pad, and more #9, or go with a finer polish? I did order Menzerna final polish II, but have not received yet.

Thanks and regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlsson
    ..[I used] some Meguairs #9 swirl remover 2.0. I went for it this afternoon with orange pads, and long story short, diminished a lot of the swirling that was present in those photos. So I`m encouraged, but not sure how to proceed. Should I go with the orange pads and work the #9 until all swirls are gone? Should I change up to a green pad, and more #9, or go with a finer polish? I did order Menzerna final polish II, but have not received yet.

Thanks and regards.

Oh Geeze...I`m gonna give some bummer opinions here #9 is one very, very mild product that doesn`t usually do what people expect from it.

The #9 is doing a lot of filling...most of the marring is still there (it only does real correction via rotary). And the orange pads are too aggressive for #9, it`s just not a good product/pad combo but you can`t see that because of all the filling/concealing.

But at least things look better now, if only temporarily. Put some wax on and it oughta look OK for a few weeks.

I think you need something *more* aggressive to use with the orange pads. Then a follow-up with the green pads to get things looking very nice. (Perhaps another step here with green pads and a milder product, perhaps the OP but work it a *LONG* time and use *VERY* little product). Then a final go with the white pads and a mild product (e.g. the FPII, which is too mild to do any correction too, but will give a better gloss than the #9) for the final gloss.

FWIW, I`m partial to 1z Pasta Intensiv for the aggressive work (I really like it by Cyclo) and their High Gloss is a good follow-up product.

Note that with OP, the usual tendency is to use too much product and to not work it nearly long enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s OK, I won`t be that bummed out, I`m too new at this to get too upset. I`m trying to be patient. Thanks much for the info though, I didn`t realize that #9 was that much of a filler type product. I did buy it on a whim, sort of looking for relief from my predicament.

Can someone recommend a Meguiar`s product a couple of steps more aggressive? #80? #105? I`m not so sure about the OP right now, I may cut my losses with that product, and move on. I`d like to be able to focus on one brand, if possible, and build some experience as well as understanding of the different levels of aggressiveness. Its a little easier to get my head around one product line at this point. Meguiar`s has so darn many variations though!

Post Thanks / Like
    carlsson- If you want one polish line, I strongly encourage you to check out 1Z (sources: Home or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing, Auto Detailing Supplies, Auto Detailing Equipment, Auto Detailing Products, & Auto Detailing Accessories for all your Automobile Detailing ). No way I can overstate how user-friendly (and effective) their polishes are; I recently did my metallic black Denali XL with their stuff, and while it took a while (huge vehicle), it wasn`t hard work by any means.

For Meguiar`s, I`d approach serious compounds like M105 a little carefully. #80 is probably too mild for what you need to do, and their #83 just isn`t all that user-friendly IMO.

Still, I`d go with 1Z. I`ve recommended the 1Z/Collinite combo more than anything else over the years and I can`t recall anybody who didn`t like it.

On white, I`d suggest 1Z Pasta Intensiv via orange pads, then Paint Polish via green pads (consider the Paint Polish sorta like a super-user-friendly version of OP; it leaves some wax behind, which can conceal a little bit of marring, but it`s just *so* nice to use). Then wax and you`re done. You can even wait and wax after the next wash as the wax from the 1Z Paint Polish will last a few weeks.

You could use their High Gloss instead of the Paint Polish but I`d sorta recommend the former approach as you`re just getting started doing this stuff seriously. If the resulting finish isn`t quite good enough after the Paint Polish, you could try that Final Polish II you have on order..but IMO that`s one mighty big "if".

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve gotten really good results correcting swirls like yours from Megs fine cut cleaner, it`s pretty gentle even though it rates as a 5 on their 0-10 scale. I believe it`s no. 2

Post Thanks / Like
    carlsson- If you want one polish line, I strongly encourage you to check out 1Z (sources: Home or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing, Auto Detailing Supplies, Auto Detailing Equipment, Auto Detailing Products, & Auto Detailing Accessories for all your Automobile Detailing ). No way I can overstate how user-friendly (and effective) their polishes are; I recently did my metallic black Denali XL with their stuff, and while it took a while (huge vehicle), it wasn`t hard work by any means.

For Meguiar`s, I`d approach serious compounds like M105 a little carefully. #80 is probably too mild for what you need to do, and their #83 just isn`t all that user-friendly IMO.

Still, I`d go with 1Z. I`ve recommended the 1Z/Collinite combo more than anything else over the years and I can`t recall anybody who didn`t like it.

On white, I`d suggest 1Z Pasta Intensiv via orange pads, then Paint Polish via green pads (consider the Paint Polish sorta like a super-user-friendly version of OP; it leaves some wax behind, which can conceal a little bit of marring, but it`s just *so* nice to use). Then wax and you`re done. You can even wait and wax after the next wash as the wax from the 1Z Paint Polish will last a few weeks.

You could use their High Gloss instead of the Paint Polish but I`d sorta recommend the former approach as you`re just getting started doing this stuff seriously. If the resulting finish isn`t quite good enough after the Paint Polish, you could try that Final Polish II you have on order..but IMO that`s one mighty big "if".

Wow, thanks much for all that info:up I will take a serious look at that link and the 1Z stuff. User friendly is good for me! I`m looking forward to at least getting a handle on my trucks paint, if I can get it close to perfect and not ruin it in the process, I hopefully will have learned something. I am confident the Cyclo can take me a good distance while I learn more. That is before I move on to the wife`s new car, hee hee.

Thanks again and regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlsson
    .. I will take a serious look at that link and the 1Z stuff. User friendly is good for me! I`m looking forward to at least getting a handle on my trucks paint, if I can get it close to perfect and not ruin it in the process, I hopefully will have learned something. I am confident the Cyclo can take me a good distance while I learn more...

Yeah, the 1Z stuff is great by Cyclo and I`ve never damaged b/c paint with a Cyclo (more than I can say for the PC!).

And yeah...the Cyclo can take you a long ways. I only get out the rotaries for serious correction and I still switch to the Cyclos ASAP as I simply like them better.

Thread Information