Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail
    Hes using a 3M backing plate.
    Yeah, that`s the 3M 09553 that is 5". Unfortunately 3M doesn`t carry it in the states. Polished Bliss in the UK sells it and will ship to the states (they also have the 6" blue Ultrafina waffle pads):

3M 125 mm Perfect-it III-Rotary Backing Plates - 3M Car Care and Detailing Products

Phil at Detailers Domain has imported some of the BP`s, but they aren`t cheap:

3M 09553 Perfect-it Backing Plate (Limited Qty)

There is also a group buy (BP and pads) at the PakShak forums but it might be too late to get in on that now.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    I haven`t heard it from him, but other sources have suggested White Mineral Oil. It`s apparently what Menzerna uses, and its cheap and locally available.

How much of this oil goes into 1 bottle of polish? Can you add this to every polish?
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    Yeah, that`s the 3M 09553 that is 5". Unfortunately 3M doesn`t carry it in the states. Polished Bliss in the UK sells it and will ship to the states (they also have the 6" blue Ultrafina waffle pads):

3M 125 mm Perfect-it III-Rotary Backing Plates - 3M Car Care and Detailing Products

Phil at Detailers Domain has imported some of the BP`s, but they aren`t cheap:

3M 09553 Perfect-it Backing Plate (Limited Qty)

There is also a group buy (BP and pads) at the PakShak forums but it might be too late to get in on that now.

I just received mine earlier this week. Cant wait to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    forgive me as i`ve never used a rotary but... he seems to be quite irratic in his movements.. varying speeds and hitting some places much more than others. is this normal or is this just his method?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ne1buthillary
    forgive me as i`ve never used a rotary but... he seems to be quite irratic in his movements.. varying speeds and hitting some places much more than others. is this normal or is this just his method?

He`s not erratic but it`s pointless imo... I could understand polishing the edges like that since you never really get the "meat" of the pad on there so you go over it more and more, but what you said and what I`m talking about now has to do with him being able to somehow see the paint at a micron level and knowing he needs to polish that certain area more... I just don`t get it
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    As you polish you should be looking at the imperfections to see how they`re being removed, or if they arent. There are obviously some there that needed more attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    As you polish you should be looking at the imperfections to see how they`re being removed, or if they arent. There are obviously some there that needed more attention.

The polish hides the paint and makes it look hazy, as it should, so how can you be looking at the imperfections? If that was the case, we wouldn`t be wiping polish off after doing a section right? I`ve worked with Menzerna, Meguiar`s and Optimum polishes and not one turns completely clear to allow you to see the paint while still being worked in
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can see the more serious imperfections as you polish, especially on the darker colors. If YOU cant, then try looking at the paint differently. Once you get the hang of it you`ll find that it can help cut down on polishing time.

Post Thanks / Like
    PD`s technique is excellent. You don`t have to wonder whether what he`s doing is right. Now, if I were to do that with the Flex at 1100 rpm with 1Z High Gloss Polish on a White 6.5" CCS pad, the polish would dry up instantly. It wouldn`t last 10% of this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can see the more serious imperfections as you polish, especially on the darker colors. If YOU cant, then try looking at the paint differently. Once you get the hang of it you`ll find that it can help cut down on polishing time.

Listen, I get what YOU`RE saying, but if YOU can see a defect that`s serious enough to see through a polish that`s being worked in, there`s no way you will remove that defect by going over it a few more times, considering it`s that serious. Let`s just agree to disagree here, because I`ve seen your work, it`s great, you know what you`re doing, but unless you sit in front of me demonstrating what you said above, I`m sticking to what I know, from experience as well

Paul has great technique btw, no doubt about that.
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to go on a limb and say with what he is doing in the first video, there is no way he is removing serious defects. That looks to me more like burnishing, or light polishing at most. Considering he is using 3m extra fine compound...well, ya. My guess is at that point is is cleaing up light rotary holograms from a previous step, or correcting very light imperfections. In any event, it seems like the polish he is using is very clear (sort of like using 106ff or something), so he can probably see the areas he wants to hit multiple times.

Honestly, I don`t see anything particularly exciting in the vid? That`s pretty much how I thought everyone used a rotary. Maybe a little less swinging around, but pretty close, no?
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lecchilo
    He`s not erratic but it`s pointless imo... I could understand polishing the edges like that since you never really get the "meat" of the pad on there so you go over it more and more, but what you said and what I`m talking about now has to do with him being able to somehow see the paint at a micron level and knowing he needs to polish that certain area more... I just don`t get it

Yup, thats what I think he is doing, I tried it also and it seems that he is looking for swirls or scratches when he moves the pad to thin out the polish and then when he sees a defect he press the pad a little harder and more polish is applied in that area and he continue to polish it.

Dang, those 3M backplates are expensive ! ...time for eBay ...LoL :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Hes using a 3M backing plate.

man i need those backing plates. im going to get one and see if i can have it replicated

Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    I haven`t heard it from him, but other sources have suggested White Mineral Oil. It`s apparently what Menzerna uses, and its cheap and locally available.

that figures, sines menzerna also makes wook polishes and mineral oil is very prevalent in the wood working industry

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like his rpm is at a high speed. Do you guys also think that? At how many rpms do you think he`s in?

Grabby
    Perfection isn`t innate. It`s hardwork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lecchilo
    Listen, I get what YOU`RE saying, but if YOU can see a defect that`s serious enough to see through a polish that`s being worked in, there`s no way you will remove that defect by going over it a few more times, considering it`s that serious. Let`s just agree to disagree here, because I`ve seen your work, it`s great, you know what you`re doing, but unless you sit in front of me demonstrating what you said above, I`m sticking to what I know, from experience as well

Paul has great technique btw, no doubt about that.

Sounds good to me, just trying to offer some of my experiences. And thanks for the compliments.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information