Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow I`m planning on using my PC with 4 inch pads for the time. Are there any tips I need? Do I still go at 6 on the pc or do you bring it down since the pads are smaller? Also, I`ve had some problems with 106ff before, can anyone tell some tips on making that work as far as how much product to use and how long to work it? It really seems to splatter when I`ve used it before, does that mean i`m using too much?

Post Thanks / Like
    jw- Can`t offer any tips regarding the 106, but for 4" pads I usually prefer speed 5 or even 4-4.5. Mine just seem happier at the lower speeds (and note that I`m generally a speed 6 guy).

Keep the PC moving and don`t press too hard until you get a feel for the product/pad combo. Sometimes things get a whole lot more aggressive with the 4" pads than you might expect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jw
    Do I still go at 6 on the pc or do you bring it down since the pads are smaller? Also, I`ve had some problems with 106ff before, can anyone tell some tips on making that work as far as how much product to use and how long to work it? It really seems to splatter when I`ve used it before, does that mean i`m using too much?

in theory you should get better correction w/ the smaller pad. so i`d guess speed 6 w/ a large pad is the same as speed 4.5 / 5 w/ a smaller pad. but i`d just run it at speed 6 and get the better correction - assuming the pad is working fine for you.

i find 106FF to be very easy use - more so then say SIP. i use three pea size drops w/ my flex and white pad, blot on, spread at 2, bump to 5, last pass at 2. if it is splattering then using too much product is a likely cause. use less or use 3 pads per car to make sure they are always fresh. but also look at your spreading technique: are you running the PC it at too high of a speed or are you pushing the pad on the surface instead of blotting ? pushing results in me getting too much product on the edge of the pad and can induce splattering.

Post Thanks / Like
    I rarely run any pad under speed 6 - I rarely find that my PC is doing TOO MUCH correction.. but at the same time, I`d take Accumulator`s word and experience on almost any issue. That being said, try out his recommendation first and see how it works for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drew.haynes
    I rarely run any pad under speed 6 - I rarely find that my PC is doing TOO MUCH correction.. but at the same time, I`d take Accumulator`s word and experience on almost any issue. That being said, try out his recommendation first and see how it works for you!

I was pretty surprised myself...both when my 4" orange pads got all unstable-feeling at 6 and, especially, when my 4" green Cyclo pad/3M 05933 combo killed the paint on the MPV!

When I was experimenting with 4" pads on the Denali XL, I found that when heat/sun was an issue, the higher speed made things even worse in a big way. I`m not talking *hot* panels or anything like that, just warm...and the higher speed was flashing my products too fast. I ended up doing some actual (if minor) correction at speed 4! Who woulda thunk *that*?!

Maybe it`s just me, but the smaller pads seem to *really* change how my PCs behave. And it`s even more pronounced with the little 3.5" LC PFW pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend Speed 5 with 4" pads as well. Speed 6 is too fast for the little pads and heats up the backing plate and pad. The heat and high RPM`s result in the velcro not grabbing well and the pad walking (or flying) off the backing plate. I`ve destroyed 3 pads using speed 6, and I think I finally learned my lesson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speed 5/6 on a PC and Powergloss took out my 600 grit wetsand marks surprisingly. I bumped it to 6 to finish off the compound but it worked better than I expected

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are using edge pads I think speed 6 works fine. I cannot say with velcro backing paltes

Thread Information