Post Thanks / Like
    I`m just curious if it`s possible to burn the paint even if you keep the rpm`s at around 1000-1200?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you hold it there long enough and apply enough pressure, yeah, you can.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    honestly man, quit worrying yourself out of using a rotary....

Post Thanks / Like
    Toyotaguy, I know i am worrying but can you blame me? Some people on here just say to get it but then others say that anyone using a rotary is sure to burn their paint at some point. I`m just really trying to look at all sides and it`s a really tough decision. Some people on here really make them sound scary. How long would you have hold the buffer in one spot to not burn the paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just start at it slow and keep your machine moving. Don`t work edges or body lines very long. If you`re that worried tape all your edges, trim and moldings that you`ll be buffing near. Usually the people that are scared and warn against rotaries are the ones that don`t know how to use them. I could teach *almost* anyone how to properly work one in about 1-2 hours. Not a big deal.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my PC last year and did two cars. That was my complete experience in paint correction. Then I wanted to finish up some areas that I did a halfway job on last year, so I decided to get a rotary for potential time-savings. It literally took 1/2 to 2/3 of the time compared to a PC. For me, the purchase has already paid itself back.

Safety-wise, I kept the rotary moving while being very conscious of panel edges and trim. I didn`t let the pad stay in any one spot longer than a second if I could help it. Smooth, consistent movements. Like anything else, potential accidents can be over-emphasized when experienced folks stress the importance of being careful, but the risk is always there. Can you screw up with a PC? Will you one day accidentally slip and knock the body of the PC against a panel and scrape the paint? Sure, it can happen if you`re not paying attention.

Admittedly, my experience in this is overall next-to-nothing, but as long as you`re careful, take rest breaks as needed, and not get distracted, you`re fine. No one`s perfect. You`re at that stage where you`re evaluating your confidence and trying to justify whether the "risk" is worth it, but you also need to balance your perspective with the potential benefits. If you`re the clumsy type, I guess you know your answer. But in the general scheme, if you trust yourself with power tools, you`re probably better off doing rotary. A lot of folks have one and aren`t complaining. Just remember that nothing in life is guaranteed. If you make mistakes (do it long enough and it`ll happen with a PC), you make mistakes. Learn from it and move on. Given most people`s experiences, it`s most likely that the benefits will outweigh the negatives. That`s how I looked at it before I hit the Purchase button for my rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Practice at low speed with a less aggressive pad/product combo. If possible get an old hood from a junk yard and actually burn the paint in a few spots. You will see its not too easy to grind through on a flat surface, but edges are where you will see its considerably easier.

YOU CAN DO IT !!! My 9 year old son has played around a bit with the rotary, and I will have him buffing out black cars by his 10th birthday.

:waxing:
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clean Dean

YOU CAN DO IT !!! My 9 year old son has played around a bit with the rotary, and I will have him buffing out black cars by his 10th birthday.

:waxing:

UH OH! I thnk we have a pro detailer by the time he is 15 on our hands! I can finish very well on my rotary and i am 15 years old. If i can, you can. I did burn paint 1s (i did a thread on it on my 77 911). Other then that on experience it has been AMAZING... i wont switch back.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    UH OH! I thnk we have a pro detailer by the time he is 15 on our hands! I can finish very well on my rotary and i am 15 years old. If i can, you can. I did burn paint 1s (i did a thread on it on my 77 911). Other then that on experience it has been AMAZING... i wont switch back.

Let me know if you ever move to NJ !!! You have a standing job offer !!! Or maybe I`ll go to work for you !!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clean Dean
    Let me know if you ever move to NJ !!! You have a standing job offer !!! Or maybe I`ll go to work for you !!!

haha, well thanks! I have family near plainfield (watchung actually). Ever heard of it?
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I had quite a few friends in South Planfield NJ back in my college days.
    No buff to tuff

Thread Information