Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    hello all,

I ordered a Makita rotarty and should arrive tomorrow 5-1-08. I bought 6.5 CCS lake county foam pads ( they are the pads with circle pockets imbedded ) from DetailersDomain initially for my PC, but found it too thick for the PC, Can I use these LC CCS pads for the rotory ?

Thanks you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler
    hello all,

I ordered a Makita rotarty and should arrive tomorrow 5-1-08. I bought 6.5 CCS lake county foam pads ( they are the pads with circle pockets imbedded ) from DetailersDomain initially for my PC, but found it too thick for the PC, Can I use these LC CCS pads for the rotory ?

Thanks you

Yes you can. I am not sure what Makita kit you got, but you most likely will have to buy a backing plate for the rotary to use the 6.5 pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Howareb,

i ordered the Makita for coastal tool. I will find out more as it arrives tomorrow. Thank you again for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dirtdiggler - congrats on the Makita! One other thing, I started liking mine a lot more after I quit using the handles and just qrip the top of the spindle. Check out that pdf on rotary that Dave KG put together too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Junebug

thank you - actually Dave KG`s pdf is what made me pull the trigger to order the rotary and also members that replied to my post. I also read most of the sticky post which answered most of my questions. Thanks for the suggestion too.

Post Thanks / Like
    hello all,

Thanks you

Just ordered my Makita from DD also. Im very exited!

Post Thanks / Like
    hello all,

Thanks you

I`m pretty sure the 6.5" pads don`t have the recessed pocket for your backing plate. That`s the 7.5" pad. Or are we discussing something else?

Here`s a 6.5 pad:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux
    I`m pretty sure the 6.5" pads don`t have the recessed pocket for your backing plate. That`s the 7.5" pad. Or are we discussing something else?

I think he is talking about the dimples in the CCS pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I just joined the Makita Owners Club, almost by accident. Made a bid on eBay. I didn`t think I had a chance of winning. The last bidder was within 1 dollar of my top bid. If someone had bid a single dollar more over the last day, they would have won the Makita.

So I will be doing a lot of reading/research re the rotary over the next week or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chefwong
    Ha Scott....

To think back in the days...u were still polishing by hand while everyone was using a PC. Remember those days ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
    ............So I will be doing a lot of reading/research re the rotary over the next week or so.
    Rob, just in case you missed this one:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine...ing-guide.html
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    Rob, just in case you missed this one:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine...ing-guide.html

:thx

Amazing read. Now I just have to figure out how I am going to print all of that information out without running out of ink in my printer!

Man, that`s a great resource, and its FREE! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    would you guys recommend a rotary on softer paint cars ( think japanese, honda, mitsu)

what kind of pads and sizes for cutting and finishing on the above ?

what about the movement ? i have seen some vids on youtube and some people are doing really quick sweeping motion. is that the way ?

i`ll have to look thru thru Dave`s guide over the weekend when i have the time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
    Well I just joined the Makita Owners Club, almost by accident. Made a bid on eBay. I didn`t think I had a chance of winning. The last bidder was within 1 dollar of my top bid. If someone had bid a single dollar more over the last day, they would have won the Makita.

So I will be doing a lot of reading/research re the rotary over the next week or so.

Rob,

Someone like you who obviously knows how to use an orbital well will make the transistion without a problem. I remember when I came to Autopia, I had my Makita and I read so many posts about how rotary polishers are way more than you need and capable of doing such severe damage that I just let it sit....Now it`s a different story.... I`ve been using my Makita for a few years without incident (I`ve actually owned it for a LONG time, just wasnt confident enough with it). Sometimes I finish with rotary, and sometimes I finish with PC. Depends on what product I`m using (some products I would rather use a PC for) I`m just a little more careful with it.

Scottwax,

I`m suprised you held out as long as you did. With the volume of cars that you do, I figured you`d have a rotary a long time ago. Glad it`s working for you. I (among others on the forum) appreciate your willingness to help others.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2SSlow
    Rob,

Someone like you who obviously knows how to use an orbital well will make the transistion without a problem. I remember when I came to Autopia, I had my Makita and I read so many posts about how rotary polishers are way more than you need and capable of doing such severe damage that I just let it sit....Now it`s a different story.... I`ve been using my Makita for a few years without incident (I`ve actually owned it for a LONG time, just wasnt confident enough with it). Sometimes I finish with rotary, and sometimes I finish with PC. Depends on what product I`m using (some products I would rather use a PC for) I`m just a little more careful with it.

That`s good to hear. The more I read, and the more videos that I watch, I think I will be ok. I`m up for a new challenge!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information