Thread: back pain

Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys,

just wondering if you had any tips when using the UDM to prevent a sore back...

i was buffing the doors on my car... and my back was sore the next day...

Post Thanks / Like
    either grab a nice comfy chair thats low enough to allow you to buff correctly or do some stretching right before you start detailing. Always works for me! oh yea I also take 2 advils(after eating of course) right after I finish up which helps alot. hahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    I often use a short step stool or a mechanics roller seat when working on low areas for extended periods of time.

Harbor Freight usually carries a few of the mechanic seats pretty cheap and some have a small back on them.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I had to get down on my butt to polish the lower panels of a Z3, after an hour or so my back started to ache, lukcily I remembered to pack advil with me and took 2 on my lunch break. It helps a little but it doesnt do much when you go back to polishing down low. I was thinking about using my lifting belt I use in the gym next time to support my lower back. Stretching sounds like a good idea too.

Post Thanks / Like
    deal with it!:grinno: thats what I do I got degenerative arthritis in my spine and my L1-s1 discs are all shot, so I don`t have any real tips except for pain killers strong pain killers.(sorry for busting your chops a little I`m a little mischevious tonight)

Post Thanks / Like
    Might not be the answer for everyone, but I`ve found that by *not* using a belt when I do my lifting I`ve been able to strengthen my lower back to where I don`t have these kind of problems any more. But then I also try to position myself so I`m not straining things while I work and that probably helps a lot. I do a lot of lower panels while lying on a creeper.

Post Thanks / Like
    I either sit on a detailer`s stool, sit on the floor, or lie on my back. One of my really fun health issues is degenerative disk disease; I`m missing the second to bottom disk in my back, so it`s just bone on bone.

Aside from the detailer`s stool, etc., the biggest help I`ve gotten for lower back pain is getting a *much* lighter buffer. My new Flex 3403 weighs about half what my last one did. It *really* makes a big difference, especially when buffing vertical panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would really help if you just strengthened your back but I`m sure not everyone is 100% capable of this. The more your back is used to it, the less likely you`ll strain yourself (given that you aren`t in really awkward positions).

Those roller seats sure do come in handy when doing vertical panels and are relatively cheap.
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    good tips guys... i prob should be more aware of my posture too... not being hunched or akward position... over while buffing...

i`ll get one of those roller seats...

Post Thanks / Like
    Take two Aleve before you start and repeat when you finish.

Now send me $25

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like more than a few Autopians have dealt with the less-than-intelligent-design of the human spine. I completely blew out S4/S5 back in 1995, and had some serious leg weakness from the cord damage. Knock wood, surgery and physical therapy did miracles for me.

On topic, I use a creeper seat (Whiteside Creeper Seat, Mechanics Adjustable - Model 51118 at Sears.com) for everything on the sides of the car. Someday, I`d like to have a small scissor lift (lifts the car about three feet), too.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    i just hold the buffer upside down and buff as normal...that is with a PC

with a rotary, I sit sideways

but I squat and try to keep my back as straight as possible..., or kneel

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a creeper seat is the way to go (not that I do this professionally). I found one very similar to this at an auto parts store, on the clearance rack. It`s great because I use the creeper a lot too so really wanted the versatility of both.

Z Creeper, Model# C-2040 | Creepers | Northern Tool + Equipment
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qballjr13
    I found a creeper seat is the way to go (not that I do this professionally). I found one very similar to this at an auto parts store, on the clearance rack. It`s great because I use the creeper a lot too so really wanted the versatility of both.

Z Creeper, Model# C-2040 | Creepers | Northern Tool + Equipment

That looks like what I need. I get quite sore after squatting in a single position while polishing. Thanks for posting this.

Thread Information