Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So, after my last disaster with a rotary (hologramming the hell out of a customer`s car and covering it with wax...), and a few burns practicing on my own car (around the liscence plate, door handles), and having to do emergency touch-up on a friend`s car after a small burn around the side mirror, I`ve gotten a lot better at using the rotary...

This is a metallic black 2001 Benz S430. I spent 3 days on it: one night after work friday getting my wet-work done and testing my processes, one whole day buffing, IPA (Isopropal Alcohol) wipedowns, and washes;, and one day waxing.

Products Used:

Prep: Dawn Ultra dishwashing soap for a prep wash

Advanced Chemical C-40 Braker for wheels/fender walls/rocker panels

BAF/Pro C101 Blue clay bar (fine) with Advanced Chem. S-74 Ultra-Seal (spray wax) as clay lube

Paint Correction:

Mercedes-Benz two-step touch up paint

3m 2000grit wet-or-dry paper soaked in Pinnacle soap (figured it`s good and oily, good for sanding)

Optimum Compound with a green SM Arnold polishing pad - max speed 1500rpm

Menzerna FPII with a black BAF/Pro finishing pad

IPA wipedown and wash with pinnacle soap to try and restore some oil to the paint

Protection:

2 coats of Collonite Marquis D`Elegance (good shi7) best to apply one panel at a time or it won`t come off

3 coats of Pinnacle Souveran

Pics:

Befores (after prep work) as you can see, the paint is really bad. The customer told me the car had been through many a car wash in the past 7 years, and he never had it detailed

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After compounding/polishing/IPA wipedown... it really brought out the flake int the paint! most scratches

After WaxoOOOoo so shiney!

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, I couldn`t get any sun shots, it was raining all day. I pulled the car into the sun during the brief moments of direct sunlight to check for holograms during the polishing with FPII, since i put lots of holograms in when I compounded, but not as bad, and easy to get out with some practice with speed of rpm and movement of buffer.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a joke right...

Maybe the best "troll" thread ever, I bet a lot bite, hook-line-and sinker....

Post Thanks / Like
    what do you mean by that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eyesack

uh huh.....

Post Thanks / Like
    That Collinite MDE is a seriously underrated product. Great job on this detail, lol better luck next time on the previous jobs.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like

I`m curious too.

Post Thanks / Like
    what`s hook-line-and sinker? the last detail i did turned out like this:

i realized it was a re-paint and i think i fk`d up bad... first try w/rotary ever. on a customer`s black car.

this present job is my fourth time using the rotary

edit: fourth time on a paid job.

p.s. I heard that menz nano-polish was the only thing that worked on benz paint? this optimum stuff worked really well i thought, and the really long working time meant i didn`t have to keep spraying the paint/pad with water. But really, how do you guys think I did, for my 4th rotary experience? it took me a whole day, but speed isn`t really my thing...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you did really well on the S430. Impressive that you were able to get the marring out using OC on a polishing pad. For the intial step I often end up using a wool pad with OHC for most of my details. But i do get a lot of beat up cars to detail.

I must say that after how your last detail turned out, you are very brave to take on a black S430! Remeber to take it slow while still learning, and be very careful around plastic bumpers, as I recall having burned through a couple of those due to heat build-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice turnaround from the before pics...that thing was swirled beyond all recognition.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think what Todd might be questioning is that you never corrected your mess up of the first time you rotory polished and left the paint looking bad? You simply covered it with a wax and still charged the customer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joyriiide1113
    I think what Todd might be questioning is that you never corrected your mess up of the first time you rotory polished and left the paint looking bad? You simply covered it with a wax and still charged the customer?

I`m saying this a troll post, and an obvious one at that. I personally think it is funny and clever, but it is still a troll post.

It is designed to get a rise out of people (from all the hack things that are very cleveraly written) while the OP sits back and laughs at the people taking it seriously. This was a perfect lead in, with all the referances to covering stuff with wax, buffing high dollor cars a practice, etc... Just a little to obvious.

Example. I join a motorcycle forum and ask how to keep my shifter from slipping between my sandle and foot. Those guys are gonna start ridiculing me (most streetbike forums, expect for GSXR forums, tend to preach responsible riding and safter first. Most guys where boots) for wearing sandles. To keep the thread going, you have to set the hook then ree them in. I would eventually get asked what else I wear. I would say like flip-flops and shorts. Then I would start getting called a squid, poser, idiot, etc. I could respond by saying that I`m not a squid because I wear DOT approved gloves and a helmet.

Then they would really start in on me, while I would arguee back the whole time and really upset people. Eventually they would catch on, and that would be that.

The reason I know so much about "trolling" is because the late 90`s, early 00`s I was part of a board that helped keep the sport of MMA (UFC) alive. Back then the sport was almost dead, so we had nothing better to do that troll eachother and we got pretty good at it. So this thread is definetely a troll as defined by

a) The overly blatant "hack" things. Covering with wax, buffing a Benz (and learning on it while charging the customer), etc.. Good troll threads start of more subtle and leave obvious questions. When the questions are asked is when the details start to leak.

b) The most common reply to somebody being caught in a troll thread is to respond by asking ,"What do you mean, a troll?" or something similar. It is always pleasant and responded to in a brushed aside manor. The trick here is to stop feeding the troll, because they will panick. In the panick they will always respond with c)

c) Post too much information. This is why the OP "troll" posted a picture of his previous hideous work. It puts the "thread" back on topic, because we should slam him for doing that to a client`s work.

Seriously, I know it makes me look stupid, but we used to troll eachother for fun on The UndergroundForum back in the day. (For MMA fans we have trolled and been trolled by Joe Rogan and Tito Ortiz on occasion, back before the sport was popular. It was actually a troll thread that got Dana White to change the logo of the UFC and drop that bald guy logo).

But like I said, this one isn`t that good and pretty obvious.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, after my last disaster with a rotary (hologramming the hell out of a customer`s car and covering it with wax...), and a few burns practicing on my own car (around the liscence plate, door handles), and having to do emergency touch-up on a friend`s car after a small burn around the side mirror, I`ve gotten a lot better at using the rotary...This is a metallic black 2001 Benz S430. I spent 3 days on it: one night after work friday getting my wet-work done and testing my processes, one whole day buffing, IPA (Isopropal Alcohol) wipedowns, and washes;, and one day waxing.

Products Used:

Prep: Dawn Ultra dishwashing soap for a prep wash

Advanced Chemical C-40 Braker for wheels/fender walls/rocker panels

BAF/Pro C101 Blue clay bar (fine) with Advanced Chem. S-74 Ultra-Seal (spray wax) as clay lube

Paint Correction:

Mercedes-Benz two-step touch up paint

3m 2000grit wet-or-dry paper soaked in Pinnacle soap (figured it`s good and oily, good for sanding)

Optimum Compound with a green SM Arnold polishing pad - max speed 1500rpm

Menzerna FPII with a black BAF/Pro finishing pad

IPA wipedown and wash with pinnacle soap to try and restore some oil to the paint

Protection:

2 coats of Collonite Marquis D`Elegance (good shi7) best to apply one panel at a time or it won`t come off

3 coats of Pinnacle Souveran

Pics:

Befores (after prep work) as you can see, the paint is really bad. The customer told me the car had been through many a car wash in the past 7 years, and he never had it detailed

After compounding/polishing/IPA wipedown... it really brought out the flake int the paint! most scratches

After WaxoOOOoo so shiney!
    I must have to say that I am quite rather baffled:soscared:

1. If you had problems with a rotary, then you should not be working on an expensive car and posting it up on a national forum for the whole world to read. Especially seeing that his friend is an attorney.

2.Using a spray wax as a lube is not a good thing. It kinda defeats the whole purpose of washing and releasing the waxes and silicones.

3. Burning a persons paint and then showing how you had a disaster and have not fixed your technique and then jumping right away onto a MB is not good at all. You should be practicing on your own car or used dealer cars.

4. Why did you wax the car so many times?

5. After an IPA wipedown, if you have dull hazy cloudy finish, then something went wrong in the process. Newer paints like this do not need oils at all if you are correcting in steps. I think the biggest with most detailers is this and they do not know why they get a dull surface after IPA. The reason is improper buffing, dry buffing, incorrect pad, poor technique.

If all the steps and techniques were precise, after an IPA wipedown, it should get even glossier.

6. You should learn how to use a rotary good before jumping on to his friends expensive vehicles.

Sorry to critique you, but you did post this on a national detail forum where you will get commented on. You need learning and practice and it should not be on expensive cars like this.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you insured?

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd, I think you are right. I atleast hope you are right.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information