Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg

3. Burning a persons paint and then showing how you had a disaster and have not fixed your technique and then jumping right away onto a MB is not good at all. You should be practicing on your own car or used dealer cars.

- my job is in sales/PR for a detail chemical company. I got to have a lot of time behind the wheel, getting tips from my customers technique wise, but many are dealership/auction prep guys, and thats why i come here for advice.

5. After an IPA wipedown, if you have dull hazy cloudy finish, then something went wrong in the process. Newer paints like this do not need oils at all if you are correcting in steps. I think the biggest with most detailers is this and they do not know why they get a dull surface after IPA. The reason is improper buffing, dry buffing, incorrect pad, poor technique.

-The fourth pic down is after IPA wipedown; What is your input?

If all the steps and techniques were precise, after an IPA wipedown, it should get even glossier.

6. You should learn how to use a rotary good before jumping on to his friends expensive vehicles.

Sorry to critique you, but you did post this on a national detail forum where you will get commented on. You need learning and practice and it should not be on expensive cars like this.

you`re probably right, and i`ll keep practicing, although i`m feeling pretty competent now.

*Also, I still don`t know *** this trolling stuff is... i`m sure by the sounds of it, that i`m trolling or whatever, but i didn`t come here for an internet lingo lesson. I came here to better myself as a detailer. Thanks to all that have given me actual insight, now tell me what to do better next time. And i don`t mean ethical flames and whatnot. I`m not stupid, and I do take my hobby very seriously, and i do know the consequences of my actions, both positive and negative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eyesack
    you`re probably right, and i`ll keep practicing, although i`m feeling pretty competent now.

*Also, I still don`t know *** this trolling stuff is... i`m sure by the sounds of it, that i`m trolling or whatever, but i didn`t come here for an internet lingo lesson. I came here to better myself as a detailer. Thanks to all that have given me actual insight, now tell me what to do better next time. And i don`t mean ethical flames and whatnot. I`m not stupid, and I do take my hobby very seriously, and i do know the consequences of my actions, both positive and negative.

Work in smaller sections next time and after you almost get a complete trail free halogram free finish, finish off one more time with the PC to make sure. Try and only use your rotory on flat surfaces and do the rest with the PC. It will not make the detail perfect but you will still be correcting some major areas at the same time learning how to guide and move the polisher without the extra risk that a bumper, edge, or small surface can add.

BTW, maybe you have the idea that with a rotory polisher you`re going to complete your 6-8 hour details in 3-4 but that is far from the truth, a rotory will simply acheibe greater results, with a slight increase in productivity time. You should still plan like it`ll take all day and do one section at a time. I see a ton of folk hop onto a rotory polisher after a PC (myself included- 2 years ago) and feel that they magically have to duplicate the numbers and times some tother "pros" produce which is simply far form the truth. Not sure if all this is your mindset, just implying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please stop feeding the troll!

Post Thanks / Like
    "Paranoia is complete awareness"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eyesack
    So, after my last disaster with a rotary (hologramming the hell out of a customer`s car and covering it with wax...), and a few burns practicing on my own car (around the liscence plate, door handles), and having to do emergency touch-up on a friend`s car after a small burn around the side mirror, I`ve gotten a lot better at using the rotary...

you are "THE DISASTER".

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you joyride, rydawg, zet, and others that have given me constructive critisism. I appreciate that, and interesting about going over it again with the PC. I noticed that the rotary is NOT a time-saving tool lol. I worked 12 hours on the paint, about the same time I would have with the PC.

With compounding, will I ever get to the point of being hologram-free after the compound? I`m finding it`s getting better and better, with this detail very light holograms, but they were there none-the-less. When I went back over with the FPII in indirect sunlight i found they were easy to take out. Is this a good or bad technique?

Also, the "You are "THE DISASTER"" comment was not appreciated. I`m sure you`ve made mistakes in the past, so if you could please focus on the solution, not the problem, it`d be greatly appreciated. It`s those kind of "flames" that give online forums a bad name.

Post Thanks / Like
    and with the picture of "the disaster", I did spend until 3 a.m. with my PC going over the car again, since I would not have charged him for that, in fact I did tell him if he had any problems with the car, I`d take car of it, even if it meant paying for it.

also, just to clarify, the 3m wetsandpaper was for the touch up painting

Post Thanks / Like
    aside from that, how many times do you guys wax cars? when i was using klasse SG, i would put 2 or 3 coats (had 5 on my car) on during a weekend, then top it with some carnubas. I figured, with carnaubas, put on 2 coats of the hardest wax i have (collonite) and a few topper-coats (pinnacle). Spray some distilled water on it, and then let it sit in the sun to let the wax set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think y`all need to lighten up!

#1. The rules ask that members not slam other members (that`s my job!).

#2. If you suspect a troll, shill, spammer... please report them and the moderators and I will investigate (again, that is my job!).

#3. What if you`re wrong and someone is really being honest (perhaps not going at it the best way, but honest)? What does that say about Autopia members? Looks pretty bad, IMHO.

So, in summary... if you have an issue, please report it and be specific about what you think is a problem. The community leadership will jump on it.

Thanks,

db

P.S., BTW, this thread has been reported several times... and not because of the poster`s original thread. Get my drift?

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you davidb

Post Thanks / Like
    so "trolling" for information is bad...??? Are not these forums for people to ask questions and get answers? Someone straighten me out here.

Post Thanks / Like
    drama drama drama
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think TH0001 is out of line here, there is no evidence that this guy is trolling, he might have made those mistake and IS looking to get help from people like you, TH0001, because he knows you are the supreme detailer, and you need to bestow upon us your amazing talents

Post Thanks / Like

different kinds of internet trolls

1. A person who brings life to a tired, dull internet message board by purposeful attempts to start flame wars or Internet drama by posting comments that are patently ****tarded, yet still inflammatory enough to enrage the stupid, irrational and humorless. The moment someone points out that the troll in question was just gunning for a reaction usually results in a fire drill.

2. A person that throws around the troll insult to: anyone who defeats them in an argument, anyone who points out facts the real troll doesn`t want people to know, or someone the real troll picks at random to stick falsely with a troll label for sheer lulz. This second type of troll is 98.9999999% of all trolls now and is often called an Anti-troll.

3. A person affiliated with the group Bantown, commonly known for their lulz. GNAA IS DEAD, JEWS KILLED GNAA. Penis Pump are the trolls of the future. A member of /i/,TA, PN, the Marcab Confederacy and other various trolling organizations.

4. A Fat middle aged man or Russian Woman who lives under a bridge

5. A Concerned Mother who does not appreciate how other trolls are treating their little kids who don`t belong on the interwebz in the first place.

6. People who edit Encyclopedia Dramatica.

7. Anyone who disagrees with a Wikipedia administrator.

8. Tele-marketer, also known as phone troll, bred to destroy your dinner time for lulz. See Tele-marketers/Phone Trollers

9. The terrible movie that had a sequal (see:Troll 2) that was so bad it was good.

The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. As a verb, "to troll" is probably a corruption of "trawl." Troll is fine as a verb since trawling for comments and flames is innate troll behavior. A "Troll" is a mythical monster that lives under a bridge and surprises people who try and cross the bridge with some bizarre puzzle or challenge that they must complete before crossing. It has been suggested that people who lurk in groups and suddenly enter discussions with unwanted and provocative contributions inspire the same type of fear in law-abiding netizens. More rational people know that Trolls are, in fact, monsters who live under a bridge, probably in Utah, who flocked to the information superhighway after real superhighways were declared obsolete by Al Gore. Bad things happen when trolls meet IRL.

Novice trolls often experience troll`s remorse. Such feelings tend to pass once they realize that people who take the Internets seriously enough to get upset by trolling really ought to get over themselves. Once they reach this point, they are said to suffer from Internet troll personality disorder. After long enough, they may even develop Chronic Troll Syndrome.

The best place for a novice to develop trolling skills and get a few easy lulz is Not4chan.

(Note: not to be confused with the ``` slang verb "to troll" which means to trawl for sex.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Please understand that when I wrote this, I wasn`t trying insult the guy at all. Infact, I believe that this type of post is very much intended to get a reaction.

I was trying to prevent people of autopia to getting riled up by what I think is a very clever post.

I think TH0001 is out of line here, there is no evidence that this guy is trolling, he might have made those mistake and IS looking to get help from people like you, TH0001, because he knows you are the supreme detailer, and you need to bestow upon us your amazing talents

Nice try. I am not "the supreme detailer" or nor do I claim to "bestow" my "amazing talents". I am an autopian who feels very LUCKY to work on the cars I do, and to be allowed to do so. I have offered to give my advice (whether right or wrong) to any who have asked, and spent long hours on the phone with people I don`t know trying to help them out.

The OP did not ask for advice or for help in the orginal post. If I where to offer my advice, it would would be uncalled for (because he didn`t ask for any) and make me look like my advice is so important that I can "bestow" (as you called it) it upon people. The problem is that my advice isn`t that important, though I am willing to share it when people ask.

The way the thread clearly shows mistakes, but doesn`t ask for help is one of the reasons I feel it is written to upset people and get a rise. It is presented as, look at all the mistakes I have done on peoples cars, but I`m getting better (and will continue to practice on clients cars who pay me) would upset a lot of the people here and get a reaction.

Apparently in trying to prevent a reaction I am becomming the center of another one. So I apologize to anybody who thinking I am "picking" on the poster or starting problems. I do not believe this post is real, and is simply trying to get a reaction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information