Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been searching for days now on the threads about different DA buffers and rotaries and have learned a lot, but I still don`t know whats right for me. My only experience is with a $20 orbital buffer that I got from autozone, so I don`t have a lot of experience. What I wish I could do is get a rotary for deep scratches, and have the UDM/PC for everything eles, but I don`t have that kind of money. That being said, I have already decided against a rotary because of my lack in experience, and because of the complex door panels on my truck. My truck does have a few deep scratches that will probably only be taken out by a rotary, but most of my scratches are pretty light (I cant feel them with my fingernail). I was considering the flex, but the price is pretty outragous and is getting worse by the day because of it`s popularity. Would the UDM be good for mild scratches? i`ve also read a lot of you use the UDM for the LSP, does that mean the flex isn`t as LSP friendly? I`m really starting to consider the UDM right now (its on sale for $100). Also, what are some of the basic pads i`ll need?
    02 silverado RCSB 5.3L

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia

In your case I would suggest the UDM, especially at that price. Use it to familiarize yourself with a process and stick with it. You will be able to remove a good deal of defects with the correct pad/polish combo and have an easy way to apply LSP`s.

The Flex is a nice machine for removing defects but I prefer my PC for LSP application and to get into tight areas. I can also maneuver the PC with one hand and can move around the car faster with it than the Flex.

Once you settle into it and feel that you want to upgrade you could step up to a Flex or rotary polisher. Or you may find out that the UDM is all that you need to perform the task you are looking to accomplish.

As far as pad selections you will need at least 3 levels.

Finishing pad - usually blue or black

Polishing - usually white (I use these 90% of the time)

Cutting/Light cutting pad - usually yellow or orange

If you can find the UDM in a package deal that might be the way to go.

You are also going to need some polishes too. But that’s a whole new thread and there is plenty of information to find by searching.

Good luck! :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, and I already have some polishes lined up, I just needed to figure out what machine I needed. Looks like I`m getting the UDM.:2thumbs:
    02 silverado RCSB 5.3L

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep! Go with the UDM, you can`t go wrong. You`ll be able to take out light-med scratches with the UDM fairly easily with some 4" pads and some time spent on em. I can`t remember what I used for this Jetta, but you can see how much of a difference it made, and I didn`t even use 4" spot pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, don`t underestimate the ability of a "gentle" machine when equipped with 4" pads. I`ve removed RIDS from Audis with the PC/4" many times, and I`ve cut through clear with that combo too

Post Thanks / Like
    you can`t beat the price for the UDM on sale at $99 (AG)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metal
    Yep! Go with the UDM, you can`t go wrong. You`ll be able to take out light-med scratches with the UDM fairly easily with some 4" pads and some time spent on em. I can`t remember what I used for this Jetta, but you can see how much of a difference it made, and I didn`t even use 4" spot pads.

Nice Job! how long did it take you?
    "...whoever CLEANSES himself from the unclean... be a vessel for honorable and noble purposes…” (II Timothy 2:21). :clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    Well i am in the same position as slowsilvy, i`ve got the orbital buffer, but need a *better* machine, so after reading around then reading this, my thought is going with the udm. Slowsilvy, where did you find that UDM for $100.00 at?
    Acupuncture...a jab well done

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator16
    Well i am in the same position as slowsilvy, i`ve got the orbital buffer, but need a *better* machine, so after reading around then reading this, my thought is going with the udm. Slowsilvy, where did you find that UDM for $100.00 at?

Autogeek. They are clearing out their warehouse since they are moving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slowsilvy
    Thanks for the info, and I already have some polishes lined up, I just needed to figure out what machine I needed. Looks like I`m getting the UDM.:2thumbs:
    You`re welcome.

musicdjs - nice results!

Thread Information