Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in the middle of doing a one step polish on a Porsche 997 and I`m using 106FF on a LC CCS White pad with my makita at 1600rpm. The 106 is behaving very strangely though. After a very short time it seems to be breaking down and the pad starts skipping like crazy. This has never happened to me with this combo, and I`ve even used it on this paint before in lower temps. It`s around 60 degrees out right now. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there something I can add to the 106 to make it cooperate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Try adding some Opt polish into the mix

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have any Should I maybe try a different pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like it isnt breaking down properly and gumming up. Try using less or try a different polish. If you dont have a different polish, then try a CCS blue pad and see what happens. id also wipe the surface down with some alcohol first. If you`re using halogens, make sure the light isnt heating up the panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail
    Sounds like it isnt breaking down properly and gumming up. Try using less or try a different polish. If you dont have a different polish, then try a CCS blue pad and see what happens. id also wipe the surface down with some alcohol first. If you`re using halogens, make sure the light isnt heating up the panel.

I`ll see that recommendation and add that the green "german" CCS pad works well on Porsche paint with 106ff.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I just tried a CCS grey and it worked much better but still a little bit of skipping. I do have a 7.5" CCS green pad so maybe I`ll give that a try. I really ought to expand my polish selection for situations like this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSTi
    I really ought to expand my polish selection for situations like this...

Very good idea. My problem is finding a polish I like besides Menz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mist on a little distilled water, may be the polish was not fully mixed or did not get fully shaken up in between using it. Sounds as if the lubrication oils are on the light side in this batch.

You can also contact Menzerna USA about this issue and they may want the batch number etc. You may get a fresh one out of it.

Also, Porsche 997 paint is very soft, it doesn`t take much to marr it. Look at it the wrong way and see what happens.:grinno:

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you clay the paint first? Maybe the surface is just a bit rough or has some contaminents on it causing a weird polish breakdown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just another suggestion,try cutting the rpm`s to 1000-1100 and using a little more pressure at first when you make the first pass on a panal.

Post Thanks / Like
    pick up some UF and IP.

Mix the 2 together for an excellent polish.

Mix them 80/20, 70/30, 60/40, 50/50, your in control of how you want it.

Green german pads, black, and blues are a must.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    I have SIP, maybe I`ll head over to my local 3M supplier and grab some UF since I`ve been hearing great things. I have green, black and blue pads but the black and blue don`t really have enough cut for what I`m doing. I`m finishing up the car today so I`ll go out and try the white pad again just to make sure it wasn`t a weird weather thing and if that doesn`t work I`ll move to plan B. Thanks for the input everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and I just had another idea. Maybe I can mix some SIP into the 106 to give it enough cut to use it on a black pad and still have it finish down nicely? Or maybe I`ll stick with the white pad and mix in some RMG 20/80 to help lubricate and extend the working time of the 106.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not mix anything with Menzerna except distilled water. You have no idea on what effect another product may have when mixed. Abrasives and lubrication oils used in one product may not be so compatable with another. Not that you`ll have any nasty reaction, but one may cancel the other out in terms of abrasives or lube.

It`s a bad habbit for some to blend polishes, you never know what you`re gonna get (Forest Gump quote).

I trust polish mfgs such as 3M, Menzerna, Meguairs... all the larger polish/abrasive companies. It`s the smaller ones that may already "mixing" different polishes to gain an effect. Larger firms have test facilities, labs etc. Therefore, I leave the polish alone.

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I mixed in a bit of RMG with the 106 and it made it much more workable. For the future though I`ll be picking up some UF for use on softer clears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information