Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got to try out the Flex...really got to put it through the paces on a black Mustang that was so bad, that we (a NOOB Autopian and I) opted to sand the entire hood with 2000 before buffing. I like the machine and it appears to be superbly built, but I wasn`t entirely impressed. I know the Flex has become extremely popular for hobbiest detailers, and I don`t want to hurt anyone`s feelings, so I will lead into my criticism of the machine by saying that I like it better than the PC and Cyclo.

First, I will say that it is without a doubt much harder to use than a rotary...it might be safer and thus better for NOOBs, but a rotary doesn`t like to "pull" around nearly as much and is thus easier to control. Also, I`d say a rotary works 3 or 4 times faster for heavy cutting and at least 2 times faster for final polishing/light swirl removal (sorry folks, still nothing like a rotary). Also, one of the panels was recently repainted and was buttery soft...we couldn`t get the Flex to finish down without heavy micromarring (I`d buff it out to perfection, and then he`d polish with they gray CCS and PO106FF, and it`s actually mess the paint up...so I`d restore it again with the rotary...and so on). We did not have a noticable micromarring issue on the other panels, but this tells me the Flex is not the answer for finicky paint).

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to get a viewpoint from a rotary master, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I don`t want to bum anyone out, but if anyone is going to spend any serious time polishing, it really isn`t hard to learn a rotary, it`s actually super easy to use on slow speeds with a finishing pad. It gets a little tougher when you turn up the speed and use stiff foam pads for heavier correction, but you don`t have to go there till you get the hang of it first. On the other hand, I`ll take a Flex over a PC any day.

Post Thanks / Like
    appreciated review

Post Thanks / Like
    Just your opinion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel it coming...a bunch of guys why are just getting the hang of this detail thing, just bought a Flex, but have no rotary experience are going to be upset - it`s okay, I`m thicker skinned these days and can take a bashing Just my opinion, what do I know. :nixweiss

And I just had an idea, I`m going to ask my newly found Autopian friend (who just used the Flex for the first time) to come over for another session (we were experimenting panel by panel on his lady`s Mustang, and we still have a few panels to go), only this time I`m going to put a rotary in his hands and let him decide regarding the ease of use, results, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    And I just had an idea, I`m going to ask my newly found Autopian friend (who just used the Flex for the first time) to come over for another session (we were experimenting panel by panel on his lady`s Mustang, and we still have a few panels to go), only this time I`m going to put a rotary in his hands and let him decide regarding the ease of use, results, etc.

Excellent...should be interesting commentary on learning rotary when you have an expert instructor. Just stand back so he doesn`t splatter you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a completely newbie on using machine for polishing. And I found that Flex is quite easy to control. So, if you concluded so, that`s mean that rotary will be easier to deal with. A nice review.

Cannot wait to see the head-to-head comparison between rotary & flex from a newbie point-of-view
    :goodjob FLEX-ers

Post Thanks / Like
    Flex will finish Audi stupid hard paint with no problem. It also may have been your product/pad choice as well. Could have been the amount of pressure you used or the speed or any combination of the above. Saying it didn`t work for *you* may be more appropriate.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh oh...battle of the Menzerna/rotary experts!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a rotary before you were born!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetset4me
    I used a rotary before you were born!!!!

Are you kidding or being sarcastic on this statement? I may be wrong but you probably werent literally using a rotary before he was born.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    Are you kidding or being sarcastic on this statement? I may be wrong but you probably werent literally using a rotary before he was born.

Why not? :hm

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the review!

Post Thanks / Like
    How about 1964? I am not being sarcastic

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information