Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Setec, as with everything about detailing, there are so many variables like condition of paint, products used, pads, speed-technique, and of course the temperture/humidity at the site. Brandon1 and I use a lot of the same products and tools, but we`ve had 180 degree opinions on some products. I have a PC and a makita, both have turned out some great details, is one better than the other? Well, before I tried Menzerna and 5.5" low profile pads I would say the rotary was MUCH better, but for the majority on my details, I can use my PC with 91 on an orange pad, follow up with FFII on a white and get great results. I know the rotary is faster, but I like my PC (much more now) and I think if I had the extra cash then I would get a Flex. If I detailed full time I would probably have a different opinion. I will try to detail a big truck Sat with 106 and my rotary in an atempt to save time, get more rotary experience and see if I can learn 106 a little better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I agree...RAG is a pro who uses a rotary every day, his perspective, although accurate for pros in the same situation, may be different than that of an occasional UDM/PC user (or that type of hobbyist who has no machine now). I`m just saying that we have machine users here coming from all different angles and perspectives and there isn`t going to be one right answer for everyone.

Setec`s got a good point there - if you`re very confident in your rotary abilities, the flex is a step down in speed and cut. If you don`t want to put in a couple hundred hours to get the rotary learning curve down, a flex outcuts and outglosses the rest of the competition.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    We`ll, I`d then really like to know how you feel about it given you were a "rotary-first" guy. I was all set on buying one for the purpose of letting my hired help us it, but now that I used it, I think I`ll just buy another rotary.

I will say the ergonomically, I think the Flex is the perfect design with the forward-facing built-in handle...similar to the Metabo, only I think the Flex has the speed controls in a better place than the Metabo.

Quote Originally Posted by jsatek
    I should have my Flex this week. I am not sure if it was a wise purchase. I use a rotary and have for 20 years. I sometimes bring the PC in for final polishing, this is where I planned to implement the Flex. I also plaaned to ust it on middle-of-the-road finishes that werent so bad.

Maybe it was a waste?

I`m also still amazed at how many people out there are detailing cars and doing corrections with out owning a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good discussion.

And good points from everyone - we don`t all have to use and like the same machines, and people who plan on detailing twice a year are probably better served by the Flex, those that plan on doing 10+ details per year, I`d go toward a rotary. A rotary with a flexible pad on a slow speed is very easy to use...whenever I`ve detailed friends` cars, I usually though a rotary in their hands too and tell them to "get to work"...it`s always gone well and each has always picked it up quickly...of course, I don`t have them doing the heavy cutting step either.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I agree...RAG is a pro who uses a rotary every day, his perspective, although accurate for pros in the same situation, may be different than that of an occasional UDM/PC user (or that type of hobbyist who has no machine now). I`m just saying that we have machine users here coming from all different angles and perspectives and there isn`t going to be one right answer for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Porter Cable is a toy. I always have and never tried to hide the fact. I dont know how you guys do it. It take so long to get results, I have found a use for is as a finishing tool on some pieces I do.

I bought the Flex to hopefully fill a void. If it doesnt, coming from a long history of auto body wet sanding rotary background, I`ll sell it to someone here who will put it to good use. If it fills a void, Ill keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    Saying it didn`t work for *you* may be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by jetset4me
    One person has his negative opinion on the Flex and now everyone is having doubts. If that`s the case then the Everglades is a nice place to build a house. Of course, that`s my opinion!

Completely agree. Personally, I can`t wait to get mine tomorrow. I tried my friend`s Flex yesterday and I loved it. It absolutely has better correction capacity than a UDM/PC and cut my work time in about half. Of course the Flex is nowhere near a rotary (nobody would argue that). However, for those of us who are just enthusiasts, who do not detail for a living, who do not feel comfortable with a rotary (nor willing to spend hours training to use one) the Flex remains the most effective yet safe way to go. At first, after moving from a UDM, it does take a bit of effort to control it, but it is really not that bad and after doing half of the car, I was good to go. BTW, the car was a Honda Civic with really soft paint. I ran the Flex at a speed of 4.5 with IP and a white pad, then MC with a gray pad. No marring whatsoever with either one and it broke down the polish a lot better and quicker than a UDM. Had I used my UDM, I probably would have needed an orange pad. I also found that running it at 4 or 4.5 not only provides better cut than the UDM at 6, but makes it easier to control. Here is another great review of the Flex with which I agree, especially in regards to the build, the vibration, and weight distribution Another Flex Review - Auto Geek Car Care, Car Wax and Auto Detailing Forum and of course there is: Flex XC 3401 VRG Review

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with RAG, when I first used the Flex it was a bit awkward and wanted to fight me, but so did a rotary when I first used it too. I thought, there is no way anyone would be able to use this with one hand, but just like a rotary, once you get the feel for it and understand how it moves, it`s very easy to control and use.

It`s not going to replace the rotary by any means, but for the weekend warriors or enthusiast, it`s a great step up from the PC...without a doubt!

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a Flex Orbital from Powerhouse Tools in the mid of January. I used it on one car and didn`t use it again. A week later I sold it to a local member "Scheerspeed" who had already placed an order but was backordered. The machine pulled and jerked, and the stiff backing plate was just un-workable, when compared to my use of a rotory.

Granted, I got the car polished quicker than I ever would with a PC, but nowhere as crisp and defect free as I get with a rotory. Whenever I am left with slight slight holograms from a rotory and grey pad, a quick once over with the PC and polishing pad clear it up, even with a cleaner polish.

If I just started detailing, I`d grab a Flex, but this is now turning into a 6 year long hobby of mine (autopian-style), and am more than comfortable with using a rotory. Even @ 1000rpms, I can correct and finish faster than a Flex...

If you don`t have any type of machine, get the FLEX, but if you already have a PC, make the jump. As long as you follow the basics of rotory polishing and keep the speeds low, with light pads (white and grey), very little harm one can do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Detaildoc & SpoiledMan I totally agree with your views and welcome to Club Flex. I justed ordered the Flex Softside Bag from Powerhouse. Jim told me that was the last one but they have 10 coming in about a week or so along with another 10 Flex XC3401`s. FYI, he told me that the new price will be $279.99 and Flex won`t let dealers give much of a discount off this price. Sounds like Apple and Bose!

Post Thanks / Like
    I started out as a PC user and then went to the UDM went it came out. I then purchased a Makita rotary and eventually a Metabo. I`ve only used the rotaries a few times.

I purchased a Flex and have now used it a couple times. First time was ok. It took a little getting used to. I just used it for the second time on Monday and I really like it now. Correction comes much faster and easier than the UDM. Plus, it doesn`t vibrate me to death like the PC/UDM. You can actually run the machine w/o being on the paint and it doesn`t want to jump out of your hand like the PC/UDM. The ergonomics of the machine are great. Initially, I felt like the speed dial was hard to move with my thumb, but I didn`t feel that way the 2nd time around. I run it on speed 6 and it`s very comfortable to use, IMO.

I still want to learn and be proficient with a rotary some day, but for now I`m really digging the Flex.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mshu7
    Correction comes much faster and easier than the UDM. Plus, it doesn`t vibrate me to death like the PC/UDM. You can actually run the machine w/o being on the paint and it doesn`t want to jump out of your hand like the PC/UDM. The ergonomics of the machine are great.

I`ve also read on a few other forums that it is better to "guide" the flex as opposed to fighting it and trying to "control" it. This is supposed to make it much easier and smoother to operate. I definitely agree that it is much more comfortable to use than a PC/UDM and does not vibrate as much (or perhaps it is a different type of vibration, but either way it does not mess you up).

Post Thanks / Like
    mshu7, I think I`m on the same page with you. I started with a PC, skipped the UDM however, got a Makita and only use it occasionly. I am interested in the Flex, I appreciate your feedback on your experience with it. Please update after more use or just PM me, thank you! BTW, I will be using the ol Makita tomorrow - I`ll let you know how I feel after 4-5 hours worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    RAG def appreciate your input on the flex especially coming from an experienced rotary user, ive been waiting for someone with rotary knowledge to do some testing. I just ordered the flex and it should be arriving soon, its mainly for some of the guys that help me out durring detailing that im not comfortable with them doing the rotary work. Of course i will be testing out my new toy myself and see how it compares to the other machines ive had in the past.

Def. some good input tho! Thanks
    Located East Central Florida

Post Thanks / Like
    JuneBug - No problem. I hope to test it a little more next week. I`ll be sure to report back.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, just finished a 9.5 hour detail and used both buffers and different conbo`s of IP and 106 on several pads. Maybe it`s like other things I never really got the hang of and enjoyed doing -like roller skating,I almost neutered myself on a pole at the rink, but I just don`t care to run a rotary that much. Or maybe I shouldn`t do a full detail after a full day at my regular job, I started gettin a bit crazy at 1:30 AM! I`m looking at the Flez with a lot of interest now.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information