Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    Hey Im friggin serious......I need to get a rotary and get moving here....I would appreciate any passed knowledge......

Pat, do you have any idea which machine you`d like to purchase? It will probably help to get a couple in your hands first.

Richard, you might have just what we`re looking for. YOUR SHOP!
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problem doing an Autopian Detail day at the shop--just need to pick a date and we can do a clinic with various "stars". Maybe get Joe (Superior Shine) to stop by--he`s always a blast.

I`ve got PC`s, UDM, little Metabo 3" polisher, Makita RB here. I`m sure someone could bring a Cyclo and some other tools to round out the possible tool selection for people to play with.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    Pat, do you have any idea which machine you`d like to purchase? It will probably help to get a couple in your hands first.

Richard, you might have just what we`re looking for. YOUR SHOP!
    Find BlackWow at Autopia-Carcare.com
    Black Wow

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
    , we had a 2007 AMG CLS 63---$95K for the base model! N

haha... good to see you on here as well OG... kudos to octaneguy for figuring out the combo that works with my car... in the process of getting some prima swirl!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG

Maybe Scottwax can (or has alreay) comment on learning to use the rotary, as I know he was first a DA guy?

Actually, it was pretty easy. I got a fender from a body shop and went to town-even tried to (unsuccesfully) burn the paint. I just kept the speeds down until I got the hang of it.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problem doing an Autopian Detail day at the shop--just need to pick a date and we can do a clinic with various "stars". Maybe get Joe (Superior Shine) to stop by--he`s always a blast.

I`ve got PC`s, UDM, little Metabo 3" polisher, Makita RB here. I`m sure someone could bring a Cyclo and some other tools to round out the possible tool selection for people to play with.

Richard

I`d like to wait until I get my FLEX in hand sometime next month to call a date. I can bring a B&D rotary, Metabo and Hitachi as well as the Dynabrade attachment, Cyclo, FLEX and PC DA. I`ll also bring my bag of trix(polishes/compounds) to play with as well.

Know anybody with a hammered car that we can work on? New thread perhaps?
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good. Usually it`s not a problem. I`ve got a few customers that have some trashed cars they like to bring to the clinic for practicing. =)

Black Wow

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d like to wait until I get my FLEX in hand sometime next month to call a date. I can bring a B&D rotary, Metabo and Hitachi as well as the Dynabrade attachment, Cyclo, FLEX and PC DA. I`ll also bring my bag of trix(polishes/compounds) to play with as well.

SM, you REALLY need to show some restraint on your purchases of toys.

Anyways

I will be in Vegas in a month or so. If the dates work out, I will come down in a rental car. You guys can go to town on it if you want. The guys at the rental lot will drop a load in their pants if they see the one of their cars come back with a concours look.:laugh:

Post Thanks / Like
    Bert, some of those are on the way out. One just doesn`t need 3 rotary`s.

Make sure they give you the *black* rental!
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Bert, some of those are on the way out. One just doesn`t need 3 rotary`s.

Make sure they give you the *black* rental!

I am serious, if I am in Vegas during this "Autopia Detail Fest 2008" I would love to drive down to Southen California to learn from you guys. Do you mind if I bring my Makita I just got to observe and practice with you guys?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Actually, it was pretty easy. I got a fender from a body shop and went to town-even tried to (unsuccesfully) burn the paint. I just kept the speeds down until I got the hang of it.

Pretty much my experience as well. I`ve used wool pads at 2400 rpm and not burnt paint. I prefer soft pads or wool to reduce risks. One time I burned a small spot on a sharp edge using a foam cutting pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cutting with foam requires way more attention than cutting with wool. I`ve burned a door handle in ~12-13 years.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s certainly true. And it depends on what you`re cutting. Cutting fresh paint--i.e. day old paint with a foam pad is trickier than wool simply due to the heat that is generated when cutting. Buffing large panels isn`t what`s hard about using the rotary--it`s realizing all the potential places that you burn through the paint before you make the mistake..i.e. raised areas like the fender/hood transition or on old classic cars like a Chevy Belaire-- you`ve got lots of inset areas that are very hard to polish out because you can`t get the pad into the nooks.

The only time I`ve burned through paint was when it was already compromised--say a previous repair that the owner didn`t tell me about, and the paint thickness wasn`t measurable by electronic or magnetic means.

Cutting with foam requires way more attention than cutting with wool. I`ve burned a door handle in ~12-13 years.
    Black Wow

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope she was worth it Chris.......:shocked
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the unlubed side of a hard foam pad can be dangerous on door handles and flared fenders, etc. I always tape door handles just to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s certainly true. And it depends on what you`re cutting. Cutting fresh paint--i.e. day old paint with a foam pad is trickier than wool simply due to the heat that is generated when cutting. Buffing large panels isn`t what`s hard about using the rotary--it`s realizing all the potential places that you burn through the paint before you make the mistake..i.e. raised areas like the fender/hood transition or on old classic cars like a Chevy Belaire-- you`ve got lots of inset areas that are very hard to polish out because you can`t get the pad into the nooks.

The only time I`ve burned through paint was when it was already compromised--say a previous repair that the owner didn`t tell me about, and the paint thickness wasn`t measurable by electronic or magnetic means.

IMHO a Toyota door handle is compromised from the factory. They have so little paint on them that polishing them by hand is a dangerous proposition. I mean I barely touched it. It was taped as well but the tape moved and BAM! I pointed it out to the owner who *really* struggled to see it and didn`t care.

Pat, there`s simply nothing like cutting wool!
    Triple Honda Owner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information