Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg
    I can do that. There is also a video from 3M that I posted here too. It explains it in depth and shows the whole process.

Are you using a rotary for this?
    That`s great, before you post the photos I will take a look at the video that you have posted. I am using rotary with Ultrafina.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen2
    That`s great, before you post the photos I will take a look at the video that you have posted. I am using rotary with Ultrafina.
    Definately check out the video. It is very important to use pressure at first removing the swirls/holograms and then use no pressure burnishing the paint and you have a perfect finish with extreme gloss.

You can either put the product on the car or put it on the pad. I load the pad at first to make sure the pad stays moist. I will put a ribbon around the pad twice at first, then a stripe here and there when needed per section. You will get an oily spatter, but clean up is very easy. There is no dust.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Ultrafina yesterday on a single stage white Accord. My local English Paint Supply store had the Ultrafina pad in stock for #19, plus the Meguiars Speed Glaze I was nearly out of that I use on single stage paints.

Oddly enough, it was #80 that I was having some problems with-most likely due to it being 35 degrees and moderately oxidized singe stage paint. I was having buffer hop/grab problems, even spuring the pad with each panel. Anyway, Ultrafina did a really good job adding gloss and removing the occasional #80 residue spot as well.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, wait until you try it on black! You`ll fall in love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickRack
    Scott, wait until you try it on black! You`ll fall in love.

Sounds dirty! I like dirty.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Sounds dirty! I like dirty.
    :nervous2: Game off:LOLOL

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Another convert to UltrafinaSE - and Scott at that! I better get that third mortgage and invest in 3M stock.......just kidding, glad you liked it Scott. I wish the weather would clear enough here for me to do a detail, nobody is interested with snow in the forecast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Saw that, which I why I asked about Ultra Fina. I`ve been hearing good things about it lately.

Scott: I use a LOT of Ultrafina SE at the shop for black BMW`s. I also use the 3M Ultrafina pad with a rotary. Overall, it works BUT slings oil residue on all adjacent panels as you are working with it. The sling wipes off, but gets everywhere: windows, seams, panels etc.

I`ve had good luck lately with the System One Polish X3 on the rotary and following that with Menzerna 106. I talked to Tom from System One and he recommends finishing using the X3 product and a Festool (which I also have).

I hear ya about some cars that drive you insane! You end up trying several combo`s before finding a working solution.

Toto
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    ToTo- do you get sling when using Ultrafina with a PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    I never get sling with SE. Once the pad is primed I use only a small amount. Works very well with the pc. No sling. Useing too much polish on the pc can sling. I think Toto is using too much. m2c.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never used Ultrafina SE with a pc...only a rotary. I followed the 3M training video and they even talk about oil sling in their video. I probably use too much, but I stayed with their instructional video. I`ve never attempted to try using less product with Ultrafina, but will give that a shot on the next black Bimmer.
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    tedkany, what pad are you using on the PC with the Ultrafina?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rickrack and I did a black Range Rover today that was a pain to polish out. Everything we put on it dusted crazy and was gumming up fast and easy. We tried a lot of different products before we came up with a game plan.

Even after 106, the paint was still very cloudy and hazy. After we wiped it clean with IPA, it started outgasing and fogging up again. Something was wrong with the paint or something was embedded into the paint from a drive through car wash, etc... Usually 106 finishes off superb on hard clears, but this paint was outgasing something. You wipe it clear, and 10 seconds it would fog up. Our garage was 70 and dry. So temp and humidity were perfect.

After the whole truck was compounded and polished, we both teamed up with Ultrafina via rotaries and worked it in till the haze went by by. We were both amazed at how friggen awesome UF worked on this truck and how insane the gloss was.

UF saved the day. The paint was so tempermental, we even had UF dust a tad on us. First time I had seen that. To cure the dust problem, we loaded our pads with a great amount to keep it wetter for longer. Problem solved and were smiling at each other as we were buffing, yelling, "this is amazing stuff".

Even if you don`t have a 3M UF blue pad, a LC blue works superb.

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg
    Rickrack and I did a black Range Rover today that was a pain to polish out. Everything we put on it dusted crazy and was gumming up fast and easy. We tried a lot of different products before we came up with a game plan.

Even after 106, the paint was still very cloudy and hazy. After we wiped it clean with IPA, it started outgasing and fogging up again. Something was wrong with the paint or something was embedded into the paint from a drive through car wash, etc... Usually 106 finishes off superb on hard clears, but this paint was outgasing something. You wipe it clear, and 10 seconds it would fog up. Our garage was 70 and dry. So temp and humidity were perfect.

After the whole truck was compounded and polished, we both teamed up with Ultrafina via rotaries and worked it in till the haze went by by. We were both amazed at how friggen awesome UF worked on this truck and how insane the gloss was.

UF saved the day. The paint was so tempermental, we even had UF dust a tad on us. First time I had seen that. To cure the dust problem, we loaded our pads with a great amount to keep it wetter for longer. Problem solved and were smiling at each other as we were buffing, yelling, "this is amazing stuff".

Even if you don`t have a 3M UF blue pad, a LC blue works superb.

I solve this problem (in 1 panel of my car, quite strange) applying an AIO by hand after polishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is it easy to grab Ultrafina SE combo, besides the usual paint & autobody shop?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information