Post Thanks / Like
    First. I suck at taking pictures. I mean, really. I only did the hood and 2 front quarter panels yet managed a couple of good pics. Somehow managed to make my white truck look yellow in most of the pics too.

Next thing I learned,... I love using a rotary. I`m no pro at it yet obviously, but damn, what a nice difference. Its not as scary as I thought either really. Its quiet, smooth, effective... I`m in love :heelclick lol

Now, this was on a white truck, which I think makes things a little easier, but I cant find any holograms or buffer trails. I did follow up w/ the udm to finish it off which is probably why though.

First let me note what I used.

Makita 9227

Purple Foamed Wool 6.5" pad w/ OP (2 passes)

(finished w/ udm and OP on wht pad)

Heres some things I noted and my technique, so hopefully people can comment on them. I read a lot about guys laying down a line of product on the panel itself. I chose to apply it to the pad and start how I would w/ the udm. place it on the panel and start at probably 600 just to spread it real quick, over the section, then bump it up to ~1400rpm. I did mostly east/west passes w/ just one or two north/south passes thrown in. Towards the end, I did notice the pad/machine want to jump every once in a while. Too much product building up? The other things I noticed is that it does want to "grab" and do its own thing here and there. Otherwise, it seemed pretty straight forward.

Heres a few pics of the job. Again, sorry about the quality. My main light source was the halogens w/ some poor overhead lights for general lighting. Tell me how I did for my first time. I was certainly a little reluctant to go too aggressive. I`m sure I could`ve removed a little more of the remaining heavy scratches, but was nervous on how much to go.

Before: Whole hood looked like this. Actually, who am I kidding, the whole truck looks like this, lol.

Some afters. Again, OP on purple foamed wool, starting at ~600ish, bump it up to 1400, then backed it down for one or two final passes.

:usa

2008 Tacoma

Post Thanks / Like
    I perfer drawing a bead on the paint... Much easier to me...

Second, if you angle the pad slightly you can get hopping. If the "grabbing" occured when you had your arms furthest away from you(the furthest part of your throw) then you could be tilting the pad.

If your getting grapping when the polisher is close to you, then make sure you are keeping the pad level. If you are, then its a matter of the polish/pad not working. OP may act to "gum" up the pad a little.

Hope I helped,

Merry Christmas

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Todd! I spoke w/ pat yesterday and he got me anxious to try the rotary which is how this all started. I have a lot to blame him for, lol.

I`m going to see if I have some time to do the doors tonight so I can get some more practice. I`ll keep your comments in mind and try to refine my technique. Do you draw a bead on doors and side panels too? I did notice the OP getting kinda tacky, not sure if thats just how it normally reacts or not though. Wasnt a huge deal really.
    :usa

2008 Tacoma

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNJ
    Thanks Todd! I spoke w/ pat yesterday and he got me anxious to try the rotary which is how this all started. I have a lot to blame him for, lol.

I`m going to see if I have some time to do the doors tonight so I can get some more practice. I`ll keep your comments in mind and try to refine my technique. Do you draw a bead on doors and side panels too? I did notice the OP getting kinda tacky, not sure if thats just how it normally reacts or not though. Wasnt a huge deal really.

If it gets tacky, you might be using too much product. With OP, a little seems to go a VERY long way, so try reducing your amount. Usually a six inch long bead is all draw, and its very thin.

Take pictures if you get the chance with how much product you where using beforehand...

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work Chris. Thankfully with Todd`s help he will be able to help us out with some of the issues you and I are having.

He is a great resource...
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you do an ISO wipedown? OP is a good product to start with since it has good working time. I`d always follow a foamed wool pad with a finishing pad and OP or FP2. I prefer to apply product directly to the pad as well. IMO It reduces spatter. Always keep the machine moving and avoid edges and creases. I prefer soft pads for the rotary. Megs yellow. LC german green, white, black and blue. It`s easier to do the finishing pass with the PC.

Thread Information