Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pictured is a Ridgid 2610 6 inch Random Orbital Sander (ROS). As with a large number of things nowadays, it isn`t really made BY Ridgid, but is actually made in West Germany by Metabo. It is very nearly the same as their highly regarded Metabo SXE 450 Duo sander. The Metabo isn`t easy to find in the US, but this tool can be picked up off the shelf at Home Depot for less money than the Metabo. As far as sanders go it is the best I`ve used. The positives are:

* Smooootth - vibration and noise are minimal.

* Adjustable - the orbital motion can be set to 1/4" or 1/8" eccentricity to allow fast removal or fine work

* Positive dust collection hookup - the dust collector adapter has a twist lock connection so the hose doesn`t come loose like some other brands. Adapter fits both 2" and 1 1/4" hose.

* Massive - this helps when sanding flat surfaces...(see negatives)

* Convenient - small touches like the illuminated plug identifier and the velco cord wrap just make life a bit easier when you have it plugged in with a bunch of other stuff. The removable front handle comes off easily to fit into corners better (not shown in picture)

* Solid - I haven`t used it for several years yet, but it certainly feels as if it can go the distance.

There are a few things which are not ideal about it however. In my opinion they are minor compared to the other benefits:

* Does it have to be orange?

* The mass which is useful on horizontal surfaces (basically it sands under it`s own power and you just float it over to where you want it to sand) has to be overcome when working vertically. Being a 6" instead of a 5" is the biggest factor here.

* 6" sandpaper is slightly less common so you may not see as much available if your local store has a limited selection of disks

Some thing to be careful of is that the 5" ridgid ROS is NOT the same. It is built to a different level of specification and was built in an entirely different factory in an entirely different country. In the future the 2610 or its follow-on may be built differently. Look for the "made it West Germany" marking and check the build quality in person if a new model comes out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you used this or the Bosch 1250DEVS Random Orbit Sander (your other thread), or is this just a cut and paste for info? If this is just info it would be nice if you listed and/or linked your source/s.
    John

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was just some cut and paste info-not exactly sure where I found it. I posted it since it contained the info that it is essentially a Metabo.

Update: A local Home Depot had one German 2610 on the shelf. I decided to pick it up figuring if I didn`t like it I could return it. First thing-this machine feels like a tank. It tips the scales at just over 6 lbs. In comparison the PC is just over a pound lighter. The additional weight of the 2610 is positioned directly above the 6 inch velcro backing plate (included-removable with a hex key). The 2610 has a 3.2mm orbit and a larger 6.4mm orbit and has an OPM range(it`s listed as RPM on the box) 4k to10k on a speed dial of 6. This machine is much smoother than a PC and the higher OPM is evident. It also includes a 12 foot cord which has a lighted indicator. The motor is 3.8 amp. This machine also carries a 3 year warranty. Overall, after a brief use I do believe it is a better machine than the PC and can do slightly more correction as well. I`m not sure if the newer chinese version has the same warranty. The new version probably weighs a bit less as well. Overall a quality machine at a reasonable price of $129 at Home Depot. (Although the Flex is a better machine with the forced rotation it`s also $140 more-which is hard to justify since I already own a rotary for serious correction work.)

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just removed the backing plate from the 2610 and found that it uses the same bolt size as the PC. This seems to indicate that the Edge adapter should work fine-providing that it is rated for 10,000 OPM/RPM.

Rob G
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Ridgid website only shows the 2611 model. Is this the same one? The specs look the same but . . . :nervous:

Thanks RG

Post Thanks / Like
    Ridgid 2610 6 inch Random Orbital Sander Review (Stuff)

That is where he found the info at...

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob22315
    The Ridgid website only shows the 2611 model. Is this the same one? The specs look the same but . . . :nervous:

Thanks RG

The 2611 is the replacement model. It has a more ergonomic design and the dual orbit mode switch is different. The 2611 is made in China whereas the older 2610 model was made in W. Germany. The 2611 has gotten some good reviews but I`m not sure if it`s the same quality inside although I`m sure it isn`t garbage. If you can`t find the 2610 I`d suggest trying the 2611. It has a 90 day return to store warranty and a 3 year warranty from Ridgid. When you register online it will inform you to send a copy of the receipt and bar code to register the machine for a lifetime warranty. Not a bad deal for $130.

From what I`ve been able to gather the 2610/2611 larger orbit of 6.4mm is roughly 2mm smaller than the PC. IMO the higher OPM is more desirable. Also the smaller 3.2mm orbit would be great for fine finishing on soft clears.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE 11/17/07

Today I used this machine with a yellow LC CCS pad and old OHC(a compound I`ve never quite had great results from except on a rotary and wool pad). I set the dial at 6 and pulled the trigger. The soft start feature is a nice addition. After a couple minutes of working the OHC I started to notice something I`ve never seen with OHC before. It was actually starting to dust. The pad constantly rotates but under heavy pressure it will slow. To actually make it stop completely you have to exert so much pressure that you could possibly damage a panel. Overall this seems to be a great tool at a similar price to the PC and less than a Cyclo or Flex.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is good information. Thanks for the updates.

JJ
    Umm! BLACK

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    WORKBENCH MAGAZINE did a RO sander test. Based on the specs that they published the PC has a 3/16 orbit with a 2500-6000 opm. The Ridgid has a 1/8 and a 1/4 (4/16) orbit with a 4000-1000 opm. This means the orbit size between a PC and Ridgid is nearly identical but the Ridgid has far more OPM. Both machines lack a direct drive (eccentric) motion but to get that feature from the Flex you are doubling the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure if this has been mentioned, but they discontinued the 2610 probably 3 years ago, and was replaced with the 2611. I would be VERY surprised if there were more than a couple still on the shelves. The 2610 was very popular with woodworkers and was snatched up pretty quick years ago when they discontinued them.

Occasionally you can find them at Cummings tools as a refurb.

Brew

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn`t aware that they discontinued them that long ago. I guess the store I picked mine up at didn`t sell many. Most Home Depot stores probably have the 2611 in stock.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    here`s the product description for the Metabo SXE 450:

* Unique Duo (2) orbit diameter settings:

1/8" orbit for better finishing

* 1/4" orbit for fast stock removal Rotation and additional orbital movement of the base-plate for optimum finish

* No sanding scratches when the running tool is applied to the workpiece (Power Control System)

* Variospeed (V) full-wave electronic speed control

* Velcro-faced backing pad for rapid changing of accessories

* Sturdy bearing housing made of die-cast aluminum

* Integral dust extraction

* Dust bag holder with dust retention flap

Technical Specifications

* Sanding pad size 6" round

* Orbits per minute 4,000-10,000

* Orbit size 1/8" or 1/4"

* Amps 3.8

* Tool weight 6.5 lbs.

Standard equipment

* Front handle

* Paper dust bag

* Medium hard velcro backing pad

* Hexagon key

* Assorted sanding paper

I did some testing and figured out that there isn`t any type of forced rotation in the 1/4 inch mode. The centrifical force must be rotating the pad. The refurbed 2610 is available at Amazon for $99 and the Metabo 450 for roughly $180.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually bought and just used the 2611 from Home Depot because I couldn`t find a PC locally. Worked very well without any problems. I only used it at the lowest speed because it was my first time, but I will try it at the higher speeds next time.

A bit heavy as noted by others but if the PC is only a pound lighter, than the weight difference wouldn`t be as big a deal as I originally thought. I wonder how much it weighs vs. the Flex. Guess I will go look that up now .

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`d only use the lowest settings for AIO`s, waxes or sealants. Use 3-6 for polishing. Use it some more and post some more feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information