Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    THE FLEX XC 3401 VRG POLISHER REVIEW by WK446

Version 1.01 Last Updated 07-10-03

Well, my Flex XC 3401 VRG finally arrived and thankfully with the black (vs. red) backing plate. Kudos go out to the board members that sourced the unit out and provided information to assist others. Even though I`m fairly new to Autopia, I have been detailing for 15+ years as a hobby. I have the following polishers that I can compare directly, namely the Makita 9227, Porter Cable 7424, and the Metabo PE12-175 (currently on hiatus).

First, some photos of the Flex:

DESCRIPTION

The Flex XC 3401 VRG is a dual action (DA) polisher but has an operating speed up to 480 RPM and a powerful motor. Dual action polishers are safer for use on automobile paint because they do not operate in the same fashion as a rotary polisher. The most popular DA polisher is the Porter Cable 7424. Due to the Flex`s construction, it can correct more difficult paint imperfections which were the sole domain of the rotary polisher while at the same time, offer the "safety blanket" of DA polishers.

PACKAGING CONTENTS

The Flex comes with the following items: manual, service documentation, general safety guide, hex wrench, 2 additional bolts.

BUILD QUALITY AND WEIGHT

The Flex is very well built and the quality of the construction materials is first rate. The Flex is made in Germany. In order of build quality, with the best quality to the right, I would rate them subjectively as:

Porter Cable -> Makita/Metabo (tie) -> Flex

The weight of the unit, somewhat surprised me. In order of lightest to the heaviest, the scale is as follows:

Porter Cable 7424 -> Metabo PE 12-175 -> Makita 9227 -> Flex XC 3401 VRG.

The weight is well balanced however, albeit, slightly forward biased. Without using a scale, the Flex is a hair heavier than the Makita. I have also used and owned the Dewalt 849 and the Flex is far lighter than it. None of the rotary units I have used can come close to the weight of the Metabo.

SIZE

The Flex is about 16" long, 6" wide, and 4.5" high. The size is very manageable and is relatively compact. On a scale from smallest to largest:

Porter Cable -> Metabo -> Flex -> Makita

A comparion of the Porter Cable, Flex, and Makita. The Metabo is on hiatus...

The Flex and the Porter Cable

The Flex and the Makita

ERGONOMICS

For right handed users, the Flex is very ergonomically-friendly, with the pistol grip handle, large trigger placed naturally and the speed dial easily accessible by thumb. There is also a useful trigger lock that also falls readily to one`s thumb. If you have used the Makita, than you will adapt quickly to this unit. The trigger pull and feel of the Flex is slightly better than the Makita. I think this is largely due to the larger surface area of the trigger. For left handed users, the location of the speed dial and the trigger lock will bring the Flex slightly down on ergonomics. To increase speed with the speed dial, roll the dial clockwise. To reduce speed, roll the speed dial counter-clockwise.

On an ergonomics scale from worst to best (for right handed users):

Metabo -> Porter Cable -> Makita/Flex (tie)

The frontal holder/grip is particularly helpful and is similar to the one on the Metabo:

SAFETY

The Flex is equiped with carbon brushes in it`s motor. When these brushes eventually wear down, the unit will stop for safety`s sake. The top mounted spindle lock button is recessed and cannot be accidently pressed. The Flex has overheating protection - if it senses that the unit is getting too hot, it will dial down the speed automatically. The Flex is equipped with a power cable that has a two-prong plug end and has a very soft and flexible rubber jacket. It has UL and CSA certification.

SPEED SETTINGS

There are 6 settings on the speed dial, labeled 1 (160 RPM) to 6 (480 RPM). The manual does not mention OPM (Orbits per Minute).

At speeds of 1 to 2, vibration is hardly noticeable, increasing slightly as the speed creeps towards 6. I don`t find the vibration intrusive, but I have yet to conduct long term detailing with the Flex, so check back for an update at a later time. The front holder seems to dampen the vibration.

NOISE

In comparison to the Porter Cable, the Flex is perhaps 5% louder on lower speeds, increasing to 10-15% at higher speeds. I wear hearing protection when detailing so I only offer this information to those that do not.

BACKING PLATE AND PADS

The backing plate is designed by Flex to work with this particular unit. The backing plate is made of a hard ABS type of plastic, that is fluted on the rear. There is velcro that covers the front of the backing plate from edge to edge, save the center of the backing plate where a hex retaining bolt is present. Upon pressing the velcro firmly with my fingers, I can trace small circles in the central circumference of the backing plate - likely designed to save weight. My Flex came with the black backing plate. Some Flex owners have reported their units were shipped with a red backing plate. Apparently the red backing plate had problems with the adhesive that fastened the velcro to the backing plate failing. If you happen to have a unit with the red backing plate, contact Flex.

Caveat: Since the backing plate on the Flex is rigid, there is no "give" like those on urethane backing plates. This is especially evident when hitting a tight area/angle.

With respect to pad sizes, I use 4" pads, 6" Meguiar`s pads, and 7.5" beveled edge type pads with my other polishers. The Flex is unable to use the 4" pads because it lacks specific backing plate for them. The 6" pads from Meguiar`s are a favorite of mine because I have been using them with different polishers for such a long time. However, the Flex will not work properly with 6" pads as the backing plate is exactly the same size as the pad itself. The backing plate holds my 6.5" Lake Country CCS pads firmly, but leaves an edge of 1/8". As long as the user is cautious, I don`t find this an issue, primarily because of the thickness of the CCS pads. 7.5" pads with the beveled edge fit very well on the backing plate and leave a good safety pocket. The Flex should have more than enough torque for this size of pad.

Meguiar`s 6" (beige), 6.5" Lake Country CCS pad (black/white), 7.5" beveled edge (red/blue)

With a 6" Meguiar`s Pad. **NOT RECOMMENDED**

With a 6.5" Lake Country CCS Pad:

With a 7.5" Beveled Edge Pad:

HEAT

The Flex seems well ventilated with 2 pairs of vents on either side of the unit: just forward of the trigger lock and just behind the handle on the front of the unit. During a 2 hours session, I did not notice the Flex becoming noticeably warm or uncomfortable. This is also true of the Makita and to a lesser extent, the Porter Cable. The Metabo is the opposite - the vents are in the general area where the user grips it, and as such, may not be getting enough air to cool it properly. My working extension cord is 12 gauge and no other auxilary devices or plugged into my extension. It has been suggested by some that the Metabo is picky about power, due to it`s high current draw and the most powerful motor of this lot. I believe in using high quality extension cords, by 12 guage should be more than adequate for these type of tools

On a scale from coolest running to hottest running:

Makita/Flex (tie) -> Porter Cable -> Metabo

More to come...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, that`s good to see, glad everything worked out. It will be very interesting to get your thoughts on the Flex vs. your Metabo and Makita (and PC for that matter). Please post back your thoughts (and pics) when you get a chance. Also, let me know your thoughts on pads to use with it. So far, I`m kind of leaning towards Erasure pads from Excel Detail, but want to try some LC CCS pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll be noisey and ask - where`d you get it and how much did it cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard!!!

It`s great that you`ll be able to offer some much needed comparisons to other polishers (than the PC).

I`d love to get your thoughts on pads as well...specifically 7.5" (curved type) pads, assuming you already have some. I was about to buck up and order a couple 7.5" pads, but it looks as though I may not need to now.:grinno:

Quote Originally Posted by WK446
    Upon pressing the velcro firmly with my fingers, I can trace small circles in the central circumference of the backing plate - likely designed to save weight. The backing plate holds my 6.5" Lake Country pads firmly.
    I didn`t notice that..but I`m also wondering if the holes are there to help disipate heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great writeup. Too bad its heavier than a Makita. I guess this is not the tool for me. Can`t handle the weight of the Makita, so I definitely can`t handle this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure is a good looking machine though............
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very interested in hearing more about this machine. I really wish I could get my hands on one before ordering (as I`m sure most of you would like to). I don`t know why but I am the kind that likes to see and hold something before I buy it. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it as time goes on.

If you don`t mind please post where you ordered from.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Figured I`d go ahead and chime in on where to pick this up and for what price. I bought mine, and I`m sure several others have as well by now, from Powerhouse Distributing in Omaha, NE. They are an authorized service parts distributor for Flex and can sell whole machines as well. Here is their phone #:

888-809-4749

Their price is $269 + shipping, which for me was $12 UPS ground. These guys have them drop-shipped straight from the Flex SC headquarters. The gentlemen at Powerhouse are top-notch to deal with and get things moving right away when placing an order. I can`t recommend them enough. Forget about trying to track one down from one of the other distributors that have been listed in other threads...it`s very frustrating. These guys have the best price and customer service. No, I am not affiliated with them, just trying to save folks from the same headaches I went through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Photos and review text have been updated.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The Flex is a touch heavier than the Makita, but far lighter than a Dewalt 849.

Quote Originally Posted by tod071
    Great writeup. Too bad its heavier than a Makita. I guess this is not the tool for me. Can`t handle the weight of the Makita, so I definitely can`t handle this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    JuneBug and Toyota2: I also purchased my Flex from PowerHouse Distributing.

It was DJ_JonnyV who provided this information/assistance for other Autopia members.

http://autopia.org/forum/1007429-post8.html

Post Thanks / Like
    If a polisher could be compared to a fine sports car, the Flex would be it...

Autopia members are more performance oriented however...

"All Show and All Go" vs. "All show and No Go" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    Sure is a good looking machine though............

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, what a great addition to the Flex reviews already on the forum. The pictures alone answer so many questions. As someone seriously considering this machine, I`ll be looking forward to your added thoughts on the machine.
    Tom, 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Now get that thing dirty!

Post Thanks / Like
    So purdy. Can I rent that thing from you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information