Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering if the UDm will remove 2000 grit paper scratches?

Got some newer paint(last year), havent done much but some wet sanding, tuning the car. Just got my UDM. Tried it on my DD and in didnt seem to want to remove scratches on that so was wondering if it would pull them out of paint that I wetsanded w/ 2000grit?

Its `04 Nissan Altima silver metallic KY1.

Also is DG 105 good for metallic? or NXT better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria
    Just wondering if the UDm will remove 2000 grit paper scratches?

Got some newer paint(last year), havent done much but some wet sanding, tuning the car. Just got my UDM. Tried it on my DD and in didnt seem to want to remove scratches on that so was wondering if it would pull them out of paint that I wetsanded w/ 2000grit?

Its `04 Nissan Altima silver metallic KY1.

Also is DG 105 good for metallic? or NXT better?

I would think so as I`ve been able to remove 1500 grit marks with an Orange pad and DACP with my PC. The paper had been used before so it wasn`t as gritty as new paper.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few factors to consider.

1 How hard the paint is

2 Pad used

3 Product used

4 Skill level

Be careful not to remove too much clear and don`t compound in the same small area too long or you may go through. IMO it`s much easier with a rotary than a DA as wool pads do a much better job of removing the sanding marks. Check in at least two different kinds of light and multiple angles to make sure that you`ve removed all the marks. A better option is to follow the 2000 with 2500 and then 3000 to make the marks easier to remove completely.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    DACP? I looked a little and is that megs #83?

Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    There are a few factors to consider.

1 How hard the paint is

2 Pad used

3 Product used

4 Skill level
    1 paint is ~1year old, silver metallic base/Dupont 7900S clear

2 Have DAS pads from UDM kit, looking to get 5" CCS pads

3 whats a good OTC product to use for this?

4 pretty much beginner w/ a good understanding of theprocess/fast learner

So will a CCS 5" yellow or orange w/ #83 megs, will that work good to remove sanding scratches w/ UDM?

Any/all suggestions welcome

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    using a rotary to remove wetsanding marks is hard enough. An orbital will be a case of frustration. It will take a long time to totally remove them. Foam just can`t cut like wool.

Post Thanks / Like
    SpeedEuphoria,

Yes, DACP is Meg`s #83 (which can be purchased otc), and before you look into buying new pads already, I would use the DAS ones that came with your kit. Those pads are my absolute favorite, and are awesome pads. The orange pad is the cutting pad, and also the one you would use for your most aggressive polishing work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    using a rotary to remove wetsanding marks is hard enough. An orbital will be a case of frustration. It will take a long time to totally remove them. Foam just can`t cut like wool.

I was thinking is I got some 5" cutting pads and some #83 it could happen? I may just end up getting a rotary, but what`s a good wool and compound for this?#83?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    try the 5 inch pads before buying a rotary. Wetsand and compound a small section, not an entire panel. If you need to use a rotary a LC foamed wool pad or Edge yellow should work with any aggressive compound-3m, Megs, Presta, HTEC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JDookie
    SpeedEuphoria,

Yes, DACP is Meg`s #83 (which can be purchased otc), and before you look into buying new pads already, I would use the DAS ones that came with your kit. Those pads are my absolute favorite, and are awesome pads. The orange pad is the cutting pad, and also the one you would use for your most aggressive polishing work.

I thought the white Scratch Buster pad was the most agressive pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    bert31,

You are right, but I still use the orange pad as the most aggressive one. Technically, the white pad is supposed to be a heavy cutting pad and a fine finishing pad all in one, but I still prefer the stiffness of the orange pad for my heavy cutting work.

In all honesty, you could use either pad. Just play with both and you will see what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    bert31,

You are right, but I still use the orange pad as the most aggressive one. Technically, the white pad is supposed to be a heavy cutting pad and a fine finishing pad all in one, but I still prefer the stiffness of the orange pad for my heavy cutting work.

In all honesty, you could use either pad. Just play with both and you will see what I mean.

Typically you would only use a heavy cutting pad for "spot corrections" correct? You GENERALLY would not go over your entire car with a heavy cutting pad right?

Post Thanks / Like
    That really all depends on what you are dealing with. If you have a heavily swirled car, then sure, go over the whole thing, but if you are just spot correcting some scratches and stuff, then no.

I had a black Mercedes that was insanely swirled and spent hours going over the whole car two full times with the heaviest stuff I had at the time. I`ve never had to do anything that aggressive since then, but it was necessary for that situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    That really all depends on what you are dealing with. If you have a heavily swirled car, then sure, go over the whole thing, but if you are just spot correcting some scratches and stuff, then no.

I had a black Mercedes that was insanely swirled and spent hours going over the whole car two full times with the heaviest stuff I had at the time. I`ve never had to do anything that aggressive since then, but it was necessary for that situation.

Being a newb, I would be too scared I would too scared I would take off too much clearcoat. With experience, I probably wouldn`t feel as cautious.

Post Thanks / Like
    4" orange pad and SIP should make quick work ofthe sanding scratches... Done it quite a few times on my own vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jshillin
    4" orange pad and SIP should make quick work ofthe sanding scratches... Done it quite a few times on my own vehicles.

What pad? and if you got some to save me whats SIP? i know I see it alot just wasnt planning on needing it, (Something? Intense Polish?)

I have a yellow 4" pad w/ a Sonnus kit and seems too spongey.

What pad do you get Cylo pads?Or what(dont know if there compatible?)and if you got some to save me whats SIP? i know I see it alot just wasnt planning on needing it.

I agree about the DAS Orange being stiffer than the white, I personally dont care for the White(softer but smaller diam and labeled as a dual purpose).

I used Orange all the way around my 99 GA(worn out paint, poorly cared for) w/ 3m compound shined it up nice, I wouldnt worry about taking the paint off w/ a DA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information