Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should put Denzil on the case... I`m sure he can sniff out a good place to buy the six inch foam ones.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Danase and Chemical Guys has them available as singles.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re looking to purchase them from AG Rob, here you go!

LoL, I feel like I might end up making a thread where we can find the cheapest stuff for anything detailing related!!! At least that way it would save us some time for searching all online vendors. I wouldn`t mind scanning vendors every once in a while to provide updates, haha.

I have an online-window-shopping addiction. :hide:

Update: Ok, so I couldn`t resist from finding the cheapest price for 6" Edge foam pads. Technically ADS has them cheaper than AG whether you purchase 1 or more. Of course PakShak currently is having a sale where they`re CHEAPER than ADS!!!

LoL, ok, I`m satisfied now. Hope this helps! :nervous:
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with trying to get the best price! As far as the Edge 6" foam on the rotary--are the Wave pads preferred over the flat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Denzil

LoL, I feel like I might end up making a thread where we can find the cheapest stuff for anything detailing related!!! At least that way it would save us some time for searching all online vendors. I wouldn`t mind scanning vendors every once in a while to provide updates, haha.

Update: Ok, so I couldn`t resist from finding the cheapest price for 6" Edge foam pads. Technically ADS has them cheaper than AG whether you purchase 1 or more. Of course PakShak currently is having a sale where they`re CHEAPER than ADS!!!

Thank you kind sir!

I`m embarrassed that I didn`t figure out the single pads on AG. The reason I didn`t is because the pads that you link to say "Edge DA Pads", but I assume those are ok to use on a rotary too?

Quote Originally Posted by shine
    Nothing wrong with trying to get the best price! As far as the Edge 6" foam on the rotary--are the Wave pads preferred over the flat?

This goes directly to my question above. It almost looks as though Edge recommends the Wave pads for the rotary and the flat ones for the DA. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    While I`m at it, one last question: I asked about backing plates earlier, but I`m still not clear on the size I need for the rotary. Do I use a 6" backing plate if I want to use 6-6.5" pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
    Thank you kind sir!

I`m embarrassed that I didn`t figure out the single pads on AG. The reason I didn`t is because the pads that you link to say "Edge DA Pads", but I assume those are ok to use on a rotary too?

This goes directly to my question above. It almost looks as though Edge recommends the Wave pads for the rotary and the flat ones for the DA. :nixweiss

Yeah, it`s confusing that they list the smaller pads under the "DA Pads" section. They work great on a rotary. You can use either the wave or regular style six inchers with either machine. The wave pads do run a bit cooler on the rotary. The next batch of foam pads I buy will be the wave ones just for that reason. One potential drawback, though. I usually use a pad brush when I`m using foam. Spin the pad on the rotary, apply the brush while spinning, and you can greatly extend the amount of car you can polish with one pad. Wave style pads are a bit harder to brush in this manner. So it`ll probably mean using more pads per car. Have to plan for that in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
    While I`m at it, one last question: I asked about backing plates earlier, but I`m still not clear on the size I need for the rotary. Do I use a 6" backing plate if I want to use 6-6.5" pads?

A few people have said that the new Meguiars W66 backing plate works great with the purple foamed wool 6.5" pad. I believe (but I`m not sure about this one.. someone please correct me if I`m wrong) that the W66 plate will work on pads from 6" to about 7.5". If you`re going to be spending money on a backing plate, this is probably the one you`ll want to get.

There`s alot of different opinions on this one. To me, the wave pads are better. I have limited experience with wave style foam (mainly the 3M 8" blue wave finishing pad), but I`m very impressed with how cool they run. It makes using foam almost as safe as using wool as far as heat is concerned.

That 3M blue wave pad is one of the best finishing pads I`ve ever used. It`s just too big for me to use comfortably, and requires a *huge* backing plate. Unfortunately, the six inch 3M blue wave pads aren`t available in the U.S. Hopefully the Edge six inch wave foam finishing pads will perform as well. I can`t speak highly enough about that 3M pad, though, it really is a *great* pad.

Todd (TH0001) was the one that put me on to the 3M wave pad, the W66 plate, and Ultrafina... as well as other stuff, too. I have yet to be disappointed in any products he`s recommended (or anything else regarding detailing, really). He *really* knows his stuff. If I could, I`d follow him around when he`s shopping and just grab everything he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil

Much appreciated, Denzil! Good find.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem guys, glad I could help. I was tempted to order the foam pads from PakShak but then I`m debating whether I`d want the 6" Edge wave pads or the 6" normal Edge foam pads. The two things I`m worried about though is the compatibility with my 3k industrial adapter and how well the wave pads will wash out in my UPW (I`m assuming they`ll do okay since you can do wool pads no problem).
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    A few people have said that the new Meguiars W66 backing plate works great with the purple foamed wool 6.5" pad. I believe (but I`m not sure about this one.. someone please correct me if I`m wrong) that the W66 plate will work on pads from 6" to about 7.5". If you`re going to be spending money on a backing plate, this is probably the one you`ll want to get.

The W66 BP is only for 6.5 pads and larger. When I purchased mine I wanted to use it with my Sonus 6 inch pads but the BP was all the way at the edge of the pad. So for the W66 its 6.5 or larger.

Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Great information, and great pics of that plate, Pat, thanks. So it`ll work with the 6.5" LC purple foamed... that`s good to know. Would you happen to know if it`ll work with the 8" 3M blue wave foam pad? The backing plate that pefectly fits my 7.5" "Mushroom" style LC foam pads isn`t big enough for the 3M pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know the difference between the W66 and W65 backing plates? 6" vs. 5.75"? AG only carries the W65.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shine, check out the pic that Pat posted on the previous page. The w66 is really well padded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Shine, check out the pic that Pat posted on the previous page. The w66 is really well padded.

That does look nice. Here is the best pic I could quickly find for the 65:

It looks like the 66 has a bit more padding.

Right now I`m torn between trying out the Edge 6" foam (likely wave) or the 6.5" CCS foam to compliment the Edge 6" wool, if I go the rotary/edge 3k route...

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know the difference between the W66 and W65 backing plates? 6" vs. 5.75"? AG only carries the W65.

My understanding is that the W66 is 6" and the 65 is 4.75 inches.

I went ahead and placed an order today (from Pak Shak). I did not order the Edge system. I figured for now, I will just go with the purple foamed wool, and use the 6.5" inch foam CCS pads that I already have to get the feel for the rotary.

If I feel comfortable with the rotary and foam, I will consider the Edge system down the line. This saves me money in the short run since I only needed to buy one backing plate, and only the foamed wool pads (I got two) since I already have the 6.5 CCS pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received my Makita today.

First dumb question: how do I get the stock backing plate off? :think:

Hey, it didn`t come with directions (ebay)!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information