Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black bmw that i have been using my new makita on but the thing is i am getting holograms. whats the correct process to avoid holograms? I have been using OP on an orange pad at 1500 followed by OPS at 1000 on a white ccs pad? Should i be using the OPS on a green pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use the Optimum Polish with the white CCS pad and finish with a softer pad like the

blue or black LC pad I really like the LC pads but notto fond of the CCS line.

I like the flat DA pads for the rotary. You just need a less aggressive pad.

If you can find a 100ppi pad this is nice to finish with. American Buffing makes them.

I`m trying to convince LC to produce one. I have a prototype they sent me and it is fantastic.

The results ar excellent with Optimum or Menzerna.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought a blue pad was only for applying waxes and sealants but i will give it a try. i was working on my car today and tried some poorboy products that i havent used in a while. 2.5 on orange pad at 1500 and 1(? the pink stuff) on a white pad at 1500 produced no holograms. But it produces so much dust. But will give OP on white and OPS on blue a shot

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you against using a DA to finish?

Post Thanks / Like
    no but i am trying to improve my rotary skills

Post Thanks / Like
    I see. I was just curious.

The rotary is a funny thing. Once you get it, you`ll just get it. I`m not saying you shouldn`t try different pads and products, just that technique plays a larger role in the finish you get with a rotary. Which is totally different from a DA in my mind. Most people get a DA right away and pad/product choice for various paints is more the question that needs answering.

Post Thanks / Like
    The blue is for the finest finishing of paint with a really fine polish or glaze.

With every product, do one vertical and horizontal pass at 900 to finish up. that will break down the product better and leave a nicer finish
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    orange & op @1500 shouldn`t leave holograms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VaSuperShine
    orange & op @1500 shouldn`t leave holograms.

I`ll readily admit that it`s probably my (less-than-wonderful) skill level, but OP/LC orange *did* leave holograms on the `97 M3. OP even left light ones when used with a *white* LC pad..and yeah, I tried all the usually suggested tweaks to my technique :nixweiss

I`ll probably still be finishing my work with the Cyclo for a good long time Not that it bothers me, but it would be nice to avoid extra steps. I take some solace in the fact that Mike Phillips has been using a rotary forever and a day, and *he* still finishes with the PC. If it`s good enough for the Meguiar`s product-application guy, I suppose it oughta be good enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    i dunno i guess it`s just different for everyone, im sure everything plays a factor. i get holograms with anything heavy cut, have yet to see any with (my) orange pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it makes you feel better I have had to touch up the work of a pretty well known detailer on here. This a somebody who claims that they can finish a rotary but I have seen there work at it was hologrammed from hell.

Infact I am convinced that a lot of people on this boad simply don`t know how to check for hologramming under every condition, or they don`t pull there work in the sun and look. It can be impossible with certain paints to finish a dark color hologram free.

Post Thanks / Like
    i don`t see how you cant see them, if you see the paint well enough to remove swirl marks how can you not see the holograms? they are very visible when working in the sun like many here do. i guess there are variations and intensity levels where some very minor holograms could slip by even a trained eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive noticed light holograms reflexting off wax residue on the high end waxes (P21S etc). I always pull the vehicles into direct sunlight and check at all angles. Light holograms from wax/polish can be removed with a little light hand buffing.

Coincidentally one reason this is a VERY important step...

my biggest competitor in town has anniahlated about 4 car lots with his buffing technique. I did my first drive-by in awhile on a few of his lots and i could see the holograms without getting out of my truck!! I have a few demos scheduled for next week,(it was difficult to hide my horror at what I was seeing and reflect respect for a fellow "pro") my customer base is starting to figure out why I charge more then the other guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    If it makes you feel better I have had to touch up the work of a pretty well known detailer on here. This a somebody who claims that they can finish a rotary but I have seen there work at it was hologrammed from hell.

Infact I am convinced that a lot of people on this boad simply don`t know how to check for hologramming under every condition, or they don`t pull there work in the sun and look. It can be impossible with certain paints to finish a dark color hologram free.

I can only see them from my work, in direct sun. I would be happy to know how to see them under other lighting conditions. The surface looks wet and glossy--even flawless, with a dual xenon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well my technique is to find out what products will work on the car and do a front guard.

then take the car out in the sun and check for any holograms. 9 out of 10 it`s like outer space. clear as.

With any menzerna finishing polish I have only ever gotten holograms by working it a little too long.

If you can make sure you don`t work it too long or buff dry, you should not have a problem

I can finish down heaps of dark cars with a rotary if I finish with my favourite combo and use every pad from orange down to LC blue.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information